Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"The Visitor", a very affecting drama about a stiff, sad, widowed middle-aged college professor whose life changes forever when he discovers a pair of illegal immigrants living in his apartment. Beautifully done, and not a dry eye in the house at the finish.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
"The Visitor", a very affecting drama about a stiff, sad, widowed middle-aged college professor whose life changes forever when he discovers a pair of illegal immigrants living in his apartment. Beautifully done, and not a dry eye in the house at the finish.

Oh, I SO want to see this! I saw the trailer a few weeks ago! Thanks for the review, Lizzie!

LD

A.R. McVintage said:
The Naked Jungle, a 1954 Charlton Heston film about a gruff cocoa plantation owner and his mail-order wife from New Orleans and their native employees who together fend off the "marabunta," a swarm of giant soldier ants 20 miles long and 2 miles wide in the heart of Peru.
Doesn't that give give you the "willies"?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A.R. McVintage said:
The Naked Jungle, a 1954 Charlton Heston film about a gruff cocoa plantation owner and his mail-order wife from New Orleans and their native employees who together fend off the "marabunta," a swarm of giant soldier ants 20 miles long and 2 miles wide in the heart of Peru.

Leiningen versus the Ants.

Great story, read it as a kid. It's one of those "Adventure Stories", like "Call It Courage" and "The Most Dangerous Game" that I think all boys should read.

SPOILER

It was also the basis for a McGyver episode. He melts a rubber hose to make an ant-proof suit.

A.R. McVintage

carebear said:
Leiningen versus the Ants.

Great story, read it as a kid. It's one of those "Adventure Stories", like "Call It Courage" and "The Most Dangerous Game" that I think all boys should read.

SPOILER

It was also the basis for a McGyver episode. He melts a rubber hose to make an ant-proof suit.

SPOILER*SPOILER*SPOILER

It's also been taken for the new Indiana Jones movie. A giant swarm of ants in Peru? Check.

miss_elise

Practically Family
Bugsy said:
I just saw Lars and the Real Girl. You have no idea how refreshing it is to see a film with a delightful story, good acting, and no blood or car chases.
lol...the best acting from the inflatable doll...

most recently i saw Troy but only because it was on tv and nothing else was

zaika

One Too Many
Two documentaries last night.

Shakespeare Behind Bars - I recommend this one...it's rather heartbreaking.

The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun - I HIGHLY recommend this one. Sweet, frustrating, poignant. I cried. I'm not a crier...so when something makes me cry, it's got to be good. I have to say that since fate has chosen the single life for me, I hope to turn out as eclectic and spritely as Mr. Vig...complete with a castle and monastics to see me into the next life. Aw...

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
The extended version of Dances With Wolves. My hubby had never seen this movie. I have to admit that some of the added scenes did a lot to explain things that I had found a little unclear before, but I found a good deal of the added footage irrelevant. [huh]

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I rewatched the best movie (IMO) of the 1980s-- Hannah & Her Sisters. So much great music (and use of music!) from Kern, Rodgers, etc.
For me, the best scene of the film is about 44 minutes in, when Hannah (Mia Farrow) comes over to her bickering parents' (LLoyd Nolan, Maureen O'Sullivan) and calms them. She then goes into a wonderful voiceover about all her parents' lost hopes and dreams, despite their initial promise. Woody Allen is a master.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I got to see Iron Man when I went to visit my friends in San Diego. That was a really good film, Robert Downy Jr. is an incredible actor. Good cast, good show.

Also brought along Fellowship of the Ring, and also The Abyss to show to the friend I stayed with. Thought she'd enjoy the strong female characters in the first and the mystical, eerie otherworldliness of The Abyss. We watched the full-length version, not the theatrical version.

Hondo

One Too Many
Little Miss Sunshine

Quirkiness is an awesome word for this film, Alan Arkin as grandfather is something else, It was a fun movie, not great but fun, I enjoyed it :eusa_clap

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Tonight, I got to see Safety Last with Harold Lloyd at the old Proctor's Theater in Schenectady. Best part- live organ accompaniment. Totally made it an exceptional experience. The gentleman playing even played a little beforehand, and talked about the process for accompanying Silent Films. All in all, one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had in a long time. Wish they'd do it every week!

Brinybay

Practically Family
Finished watching "Drums Along the Mohawk" tonight. Henry Fonda, Claudette Colbert, Ward Bond.

I can't help but recall those GAF commercials HF did in the 70s, and how everybody made fun of the way he said "GAF" (shzee yay-yeff). What's even funnier is I don't remember what "GAF" was... camera film?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran