Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Spanish Earth (1937) This is Republican propaganda, so take it with a giant grain of salt! Still, narrated by a young Orson Welles, and partially written by Ernest Hemingway. The cloths are good, real working class people, not actors, so authentic.

Minions. Silly and fun. I also rented The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Can't wait to watch it today!
My daughter got 'Minions' for Christmas. It stayed in the DVD player pretty much nonstop......until a couple of days ago when someone kicked a copy of Sponge Bob to my son. Minions are definitely the lesser of the two yellow evils.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

"Earth vs. The Flying Saucers" - Cheesey, hokey but Ray Harryhausen???? Every time I can get my hands on him I grab him. Great way to spend a couple of hours!

Worf

With a little more oomph in the script, this one could have had some legs in the cult movie milieu. It just doesn't have enough ridiculousness, enough over-the-top acting or enough interaction with and anthropomorphizing of the aliens to give it that "watch again and again because it is so silly / fun / goofy" quality a cult classic needs. That said, I watched it recently all the way through and just watched about an hour of it again on TCM.
While I can totally agree with Worf's stance on Harryhausen movies, and am of the same camp, I also must agree with Fading Fast's assessment of this one. It's darn good, but it just seems to lack that certain something. I'd definitely give it a six out of six, but I need about four of them before I turn this one on.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My daughter got 'Minions' for Christmas. It stayed in the DVD player pretty much nonstop......until a couple of days ago when someone kicked a copy of Sponge Bob to my son. Minions are definitely the lesser of the two yellow evils.

Oh, how well I remember those days. My daughter used to watch Shrek over and over and over...and this was when DVDs were just coming out, so we had it on VHS. So that tape got rewound A LOT as did many others.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're showing "Spotlight," the hard-hitting journalistic drama based on the true story of the Boston Globe's investigation of the Catholic Church child-molestation scandal. A tightly-written, intensely-acted picture that you never notice is over two hours long, and one which will make you appreciate the real value of print newspapers, even in the internet age.

The cast is uniformly good, but gawdawmighty, Michael Keaton was almost unrecognizable.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Guy Ritchie's films are always a bit oddball, which I like. This one was no exception. It was really good and the costumes and music and sets were absolutely gorgeous. I feel as if I were missing out on some stuff because I've never seen the '60s show that it was based on, so now I may have to hunt a few episodes down and see.

I am hopeful that they make more.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
2008 Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Having read the book and seen the old Doug McClure version, A little too much CGI for comfort

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Mad Max: Fury Road.

I was pretty indifferent to the old Mad Max films, but I gave this a try because it appeared on virtually every ten-best-films list for last year I read. And now that I've seen it, I really don't understand why! Sure, it's got great action sequences and some very cool production design... but I didn't believe any of it for a second. No exposition, no explanation, no characterization, barely any coherent dialog... there was absolutely nothing I could grasp onto that would pull me into the alleged story.

As I've said here before, I'm not a fan of action films per se, and I don't respond at all well to style over substance. This film was clearly not my thing, but even so, I'm mystified as to why it's being considered a masterwork. Two hours I wish I could get back.

We're showing "Spotlight," the hard-hitting journalistic drama based on the true story of the Boston Globe's investigation of the Catholic Church child-molestation scandal. A tightly-written, intensely-acted picture that you never notice is over two hours long, and one which will make you appreciate the real value of print newspapers, even in the internet age.

The cast is uniformly good, but gawdawmighty, Michael Keaton was almost unrecognizable.

Hadn't heard about the movie, but will look for it now. Michael Keaton evolved from kinda not someone I took seriously as an actor in the '80s into a real talented actor as he matured.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Mad Max: Fury Road.

I was pretty indifferent to the old Mad Max films, but I gave this a try because it appeared on virtually every ten-best-films list for last year I read. And now that I've seen it, I really don't understand why! Sure, it's got great action sequences and some very cool production design... but I didn't believe any of it for a second. No exposition, no explanation, no characterization, barely any coherent dialog... there was absolutely nothing I could grasp onto that would pull me into the alleged story.

As I've said here before, I'm not a fan of action films per se, and I don't respond at all well to style over substance. This film was clearly not my thing, but even so, I'm mystified as to why it's being considered a masterwork. Two hours I wish I could get back.

The story is a 'vehicle' chase from A to B & then back again from B to A.................I think the movie is primarily aimed at young 'gamers' who are comfortable with fast moving images & repetition & for whom a storyline & characteriztion are without importance. It had little to do with the original MAD MAX films & those of a certain age who may be a litttle nostalgic for the 80's nihilism & Mel Gibson's youthful charm, were no doubt disappointed by this offering.
One has to ask what Tom Harding was doing in this movie, apart from money of course, he spent the first half of the film as a car ornament & the in the second half he was invisible, completely swamped by Charlize Theron, any actor could have played Max but the film should have been called 'Furious Furiosa, The Road To Nowhere'' :D

Bolero

A-List Customer
Fury Road...I killed it halfway thru, too silly... its only salvation was Charlize Theron.

I'm still scratching my head why she hooked up with Sean Penn for a couple years...shemust be a closet Masochistic...

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Water Diviner. I liked the look and the subject matter, but the story was weak and unfocused. It was kind of an odd movie because it wanted to establish all these relationships, but it didn't develop most of them enough to get me invested in his life and his changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran