Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
Got the Collectors DVD of the original eight Frankenstein movies. Last night watched the first one 'Frankenstein". Going to kick back today and start "The Bride of Frankenstein".

Watched "I Know Where I'm Going" from 1945. The story is okay and predictable, the acting uneven, but the scenery - Argyll and Bute, Scotland - is so beautiful and the general vibe of the story - honest work and community versus marrying for money and position - so enheartening, that I always enjoy it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I have watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E. twice over the last three days.

Fantastic!

I will certainly buy this on bluray when I get home.

I've never seen the original tv show, so I have nothing to compare it to, I just enjoyed it for what it is. Alicia Vikander, Armie Hammer and Henry Cavill were brilliant. Jared Harris did the best American impression I've heard. He looked and sounded more American than an American!

;-)

I really want to see this!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The three original Star Wars movies for a New Year's Eve marathon: Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Return of the Jedi.

It's the first time I've watched all three of them in years. I gained a new appreciation for the story and the characters. PLUS, the unsung hero of all these movies is R2-D2! Seriously, that droid comes to the rescue and saves everyone more times than I can count! LOL

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Arnaz's insistence on using film was resisted by the network. They told him if he insisted on film, he would have to pay for it. Desi said fine, but if we pay for it, we own the rights to the show. The network agreed.

Desilu Studios started a trend, and they made a mint on the show. Desilu would produce a little show in the 60s called Star Trek.
One thing is for sure, if Dezi and Lucy had not gotten married, they would have been footnotes in movie and music history! The film is why we remember I Love Lucy. Most of the other shows were lost because they were not filmed. A few, had cameras pointed at a TV monitor, very poor quality. It is really difficult to say if TV was really that much better back then with out the film to back it up, just rose tinted glasses!

Double feature at my house last night. First we watched "The Battleship Potemkin" (1925). After that, due to the amount of rum consumed during the first feature, we decided to watch "I Walked With a Zombie" (1943).
I like the old ones, about "real" zombies - the voodoo cursed, sugar cane farming Caribbean kind. Not such a fan of the brain eating 'Walking Dead' variety.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

...Most of the other shows were lost because they were not filmed. A few, had cameras pointed at a TV monitor, very poor quality...
Hey, if it was good enough for the first moon landing... :D

If you haven't seen it, check out "Shutter Island," the movie that convinced me DiCaprio could act and an underrated movie IMHO.
Ugh. A friend convinced me to see Shutter Island in the theater with him when it was released; I figured it out in the first 20 minutes, and had to endure the remaining two hours until they finally revealed it to everyone else. :mad:

That being said, I have to admit I have a real "like/hate" relationship with DiCaprio. I do think he's a good actor in the right role, but at the time Shutter Island was released it just seemed like he was in every other movie (only my perception, and obviously untrue) and I was sick of seeing him, so it's fair to say I didn't give Shutter Island a fair evaluation (and probably never will). I do think DiCaprio was very good in Django Unchained, so hope is not completely lost. :p

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Designing Woman with Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall. Lots of fun!

Also watched the new Mission: Impossible movie - Rogue Nation, I think it was called. A lot better than I thought it would be, but Cruise is getting old. May be time to hang up the action movies.

"Earth vs. The Flying Saucers" - Cheesey, hokey but Ray Harryhausen???? Every time I can get my hands on him I grab him. Great way to spend a couple of hours!

Worf
Yes Sir! Possibly my favorite movie featuring Mr. Harryhausen's work, and definitely one of my favorite sci-fi movies. Cheesy? Hokey? Low budget? You bet, but it still has it's charms.

"Earth vs. The Flying Saucers" - Cheesey, hokey but Ray Harryhausen???? Every time I can get my hands on him I grab him. Great way to spend a couple of hours!

Worf

With a little more oomph in the script, this one could have had some legs in the cult movie milieu. It just doesn't have enough ridiculousness, enough over-the-top acting or enough interaction with and anthropomorphizing of the aliens to give it that "watch again and again because it is so silly / fun / goofy" quality a cult classic needs. That said, I watched it recently all the way through and just watched about an hour of it again on TCM.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I have watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E. twice over the last three days.

Fantastic!

I will certainly buy this on bluray when I get home.

I've never seen the original tv show, so I have nothing to compare it to, I just enjoyed it for what it is. Alicia Vikander, Armie Hammer and Henry Cavill were brilliant. Jared Harris did the best American impression I've heard. He looked and sounded more American than an American!

;-)
MisterCairo,

The film was extremely well done, and I say this as a BIG fan of the original TV series. It managed to capture the energy, humor, and insouciance of the best of the original, while giving us a solid adventure. We U.N.C.L.E. fans were terrified that we'd wind up with a film like the Eddie Murphy I Spy, which couldn't even get the character names right, and 21 Jump Street, which turned a serious cop series into a silly comedy, and more examples than I can think of right now.

My commentary on the film is at the link in my signature. You may want to check out the actual episodes of the show, too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran