Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

"A Royal Night Out," which is a basically fictionalized account of what happens to the two English Princesses - Margaret and Elizabeth - when they are allowed to go out for the evening to celebrate VE Day.

The movie never found its groove, was at times somewhat serious, at others, outright slapstick, but it did managed to maintain enough charm that, I guess, I enjoyed it. It felt very much like a lighthearted movie from the '30s (other than the gratuitous, but tame by today's standards, sex and profanity). The period sets, clothes and cars were okay, but not up to the standards of the best period movies.

The actresses, Sarah Gadon and Bel Powley (Elizabeth and Margaret, respectively) did as much as they could with modest material as their charm and energy kept the movie going especially during its weaker moments.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"A Royal Night Out," which is a basically fictionalized account of what happens to the two English Princesses - Margaret and Elizabeth - when they are allowed to go out for the evening to celebrate VE Day.

The movie never found its groove, was at times somewhat serious, at others, outright slapstick, but it did managed to maintain enough charm that, I guess, I enjoyed it. It felt very much like a lighthearted movie from the '30s (other than the gratuitous, but tame by today's standards, sex and profanity). The period sets, clothes and cars were okay, but not up to the standards of the best period movies.

The actresses, Sarah Gadon and Bel Powley (Elizabeth and Margaret, respectively) did as much as they could with modest material as their charm and energy kept the movie going especially during its weaker moments.

I tried to watch this on the plane on the way home from England, but couldn't get into it.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I was very surprised that I liked it at all let alone as much as I did. None of the promos for the movie sold it in any way for me. I did not enjoy films 4 and 5 (or is it films 1 and 2?) and as a result, I did not see the 6th/1st. Maybe my expectations were low, but no matter, I enjoyed it, a lot.
:D

You are entitled to enjoy and consider as good anything you like!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We saw Pan as the girls' movie night choice. Entertaining back story.

Best line "Is THIS Canada"? (as the pirate ship enters the Mad Max-style Neverland, the orphan boys having concluded their missing comrades had been sent to Canada during the Blitz).

green papaya

One Too Many
"Foreign Correspondent" was Alfred Hitchcock's second American feature made in 1940

"Foreign Correspondent" has Joel McCrea as John Jones, an American reporter sent over to Europe to cover the beginnings of WW2. And, as you can probably guess, Jones will stumble upon a big story and soon become a man who knows too much.

2016-06-11_163615.jpg

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Stray Dog, an early (1949) Akira Kurosawa film about a newbie detective (Tishiro Mifune) whose pistol is lifted by a pickpocket on a jammed bus. Thereafter, he tracks the pistol through the Tokyo underworld, increasingly appalled as people are injured/killed with it. Like many of Kurosawa's films, it's a little slow-moving and a bit long, but I was struck by how similar it is to today's police procedurals and buddy cop films (he's soon paired with a veteran detective who takes things a lot more easily). Lots of interesting footage of postwar Japan too.

Thank you again, TCM!
Stray Dog is one of my favorite Japanese films. The humanity of the characters - Mifune as the rookie, Takashi Shimura as the veteran detective- draws you into the story. Mifune's character feels guilt for losing the pistol, then grows frantic as his pistol is connected with crimes. The second unit director filmed the black market sequences in actual illegal markets.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Gunman's Walk, from 1958, with Van Heflin and Tab Hunter. Yes, I know, Tab Hunter, but listen: He plays a near-sociopath, the older son of Van Heflin's former Indian fighter turned rancher in the late 1800s of the Dakotas. Hunter's Ed is good-looking, charming when he wants to be, and yet utterly self-absorbed and ruthless. He kills one man, whom he calls a "half-breed," when they are racing to catch a mustang by forcing him (and his horse!) off a cliff. He shoots another, who has testified for him at his hearing, out of not much more than pique (and then grins to the crowd, "Drinks on me!"). He kills an unarmed deputy sheriff as he, Ed, escapes from jail. And at the climax, he squares off against his own father. At no point does he suffer a crisis of conscience or hint that he might learn something and change.

An okay film, but with a very strong performance from Mr. Hunter, who is usually thought of as merely "pretty boy" material.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation, one of the series with Tom Cruise. I went into it thinking, "This ain't 'Mission: Impossible'." But it was vastly better than I thought it would be, despite a lot of big action scenes for the modern audience. There are tricky plot switches, including a final one that left me saying, "Okay; this has got a lot of the old show's spirit."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80