Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I liked Thor: Ragnarok a lot too. But I had one small complaint: all of the Asgardians from the earlier Thor films were accounted for... except Lady Sif. She's not even dismissed in dialog like Jane Foster... so I kept expecting her to show up and be heroic. (Sure,I know it's because Jamie Alexander is starring in a TV series, but that's hardly an in-universe explanation!)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I liked Thor: Ragnarok a lot too. But I had one small complaint: all of the Asgardians from the earlier Thor films were accounted for... except Lady Sif. She's not even dismissed in dialog like Jane Foster... so I kept expecting her to show up and be heroic. (Sure,I know it's because Jamie Alexander is starring in a TV series, but that's hardly an in-universe explanation!)

Agreed. They should have made mention of her somewhere.

I loved the scene between Thor, Loki, and Doctor Strange. HILARIOUS!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I liked that it showcased a more experienced and formidable Doctor Strange, now sure of his powers, bouncing them around the Sanctum effortlessly and so forth. No longer the newbie he still was at the end of his own film, now behaving more like the Sorcerer Supreme.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Of Human Hearts" - One of those rare films in which Jimmy Stewart plays an out and out heel. Born to a stern but giving preacher and his loving wife, Stewart grows up being restless self-absorbed and shallow despite wanting to become a doctor. Throughout the entire film he just takes and takes, his mother sells off everything and I do meant EVERYTHING to get him through medical school. When the Civil War breaks out he even asks her to sell the family horse so that he can get a sweet new uniform. It takes no less than the intervention of President Lincoln to set Stewart even hallway straight. I wanted to punch him in snoot. He'd fit right in with the self absorbed folks round here today. Good film, it had me boilin' then ballin'.

Worf

PS - Don't know how he did it. Stewart was in 6 major features in 1938! One busy man!

"The Gallant Hours" 1960 staring James Cagney
  • A war movie with zero battle scenes or, really, any action scenes works owing to a strong script and James Cagney playing Admiral Bill Halsey without any "Cagney" mannerisms (he speaks at half Cagney-speed which is normal speed for anyone else)
  • The quasi-documentary style emphasizes the personalities and story - how one man, Halsey, took over command of the losing long-play battle for Guadalcanal and through planing, strategy, motivation and against-the-book risk taking turned it into a winner
  • This is Cagney's movie and it's a movie about leadership: it disabuses the notion that one man or woman at the top, one smart decision-maker can't make a difference.
    • Be it in the military, government or business, the singular visionary that can see through to a better solution and can convert that genius into an implementable action plan is the difference between success and failure
    • All those around and supporting him - right down to the guy sweeping up - play an important role, but not everyone can be a leader and the leaders are the ones that move civilization forward - invent the steam engine, win the war, keep the public united during the military abyss
    • Halsey was one of those rare leaders and Cagney, in a tour de force performance of bottled up emotion and controlled power and intellect, captures that rare quality in an impressive film
  • The black and white cinematography is crystal clear with its austerity emphasizing the story and the stress of command - color would only have diminished this movie
  • My only quibble (and, maybe, it's a bit more than a quibble) was the odd male chorus quasi-miliarty leitmotif that plays too often and too loud - it almost became creepy. But nothing's perfect, and otherwise, this is an outstanding war movie that succeeds in showing the key decisions and actions needed to win a battle without showing a shot being fired

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
'The Legend of Ben Hall' (2017)......rather underwhelming. Slow, lame & unengaging, even when the 3 main protagonists ( whom I presume are supposed to be likable) got their comeuppance it didn't have the emotional impact it should have had. Fortunately, there were the costumes & cap 'n' ball pistols so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I watched Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) the other day.

I don't think I've ever seen a more graphic example of pre-code than in this movie. The scene where bar-singer Ivy Pierson (Miriam Hopkins) is trying to entice Jekyll (Frederic March) into bed is shockingly erotic, especially for such an old movie.

And I'm sure images such as this were completely scandalous, not to mention shocking.

jekyll hyde 1931.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
War Day yesterday... Better line up than TCM's gonna have on Veteran's Day believe me.

"The Steel Helmet", "Objective Burma", "They Were Expendable"

Two of the three are considered among the best war movies ever made.

Worf

War Day yesterday... Better line up than TCM's gonna have on Veteran's Day believe me.

"The Steel Helmet", "Objective Burma", "They Were Expendable"

Two of the three are considered among the best war movies ever made.

Worf
Pretty sure I'll be watching Saving Private Ryan this weekend for the 100th time. I can never turn that movie off. I'll be looking into your suggestions too Worf.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Goodbye Christopher Robin.

The son of author A.A. Milne was employed as a fictional character in the Winnie- the- Pooh books, and it resulted in a highly abnormal childhood for the kid. Milne the father was a survivor of the Battle of the Somme and had witnessed enough of the horrors of war to bring on what we'd today refer to as PTSD. The innocence of early childhood that the Pooh books plumbed was seen as therapeutic for A.A. Milne, his illustrator, and their generation. But fame and fortune came with a price for his son Christopher Robin/ Billy Moon. Particularly around this time of year when we commemorate Veterans' Day/ Remembrance Day, we do well to remember what transpired 1914- 1918 and how it cast a shadow for decades.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Pretty sure I'll be watching Saving Private Ryan this weekend for the 100th time. I can never turn that movie off. I'll be looking into your suggestions too Worf.

"The Steel Helmet" - Rare movie about the Korean War. Gritty and dark tale that's stinks of the truth of that dirty proxy war.

"The Were Expendable" - Like "Bataan" an excellent movie about the early "dark" days of the war in the Pacific, where we were gettin' our collective butt's kicked by the Japanese Empire.

I'd also recommend "12 O'clock High" - I consider it the best movie about the air war over Europe ever done.

Worf

Otter

One Too Many
On dvd , The Matrix, now my 15 year old daughter has stolen my Oakley sunglasses.

At the cinema this afternoon, Thor Ragnarok. What a po faced audience, I was the only person laughing at the funny bits. I agree with the other reviews, fast paced fun.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Otter, wow! You're daughter sounds way cooler than my daughters! I'm jealous! LOLZ!

Like a lot of other posters, I saw Thor and really enjoyed it! My wife loves superhero movies so we go to see 'me all, but I usually fall asleep (except for Chris Nolan's Batman and Wonder Woman❤️) but I really enjoyed Thor. Didn't take itself seriously at all.

This morning the dog woke me up at 6:30 demanding a walk. When I got home Black Narcissus was just starting. Deborah Kerr was awesome as always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24