Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Last night I watched The Walk.
I'd been putting it off because I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it, but finally watched it.
I thought it was very good, and almost constantly made me chuckle, even though I felt the ending was sad (but maybe that's just me).
Either way, whether you like the film or not (and I do) I think the movie is a great testament to the towers, and the people and city of NY, and we shouldn't let the terrorists take away all our good memories too. So I'm glad they made it, and I'm glad I watched it.
(I hope that came out right, I don't want to offend anyone).

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We caught an early matinee today of Thor:Ragnarok. Wow, what a fun ride! I thought the Doctor Strange tie in was out of place (more so for me as I have not seen the Dr. S. film yet), and gather it is deliberately in both movies for just that reason - tie ins. Whatever, a small blip in an otherwise great trip!

I'm SO excited! TCM is showing Casablanca at theaters around the country, and my city is one of them!!! I can't wait to see this classic on the big screen. Going this Wednesday!
It's almost always more fun to see movies in a theater, on the big screen, the way they were meant to be seen. Over the years I've attended a number of "special" screenings at privately owned theaters here in southern California, but it's nice to see some of the larger "chain" theaters like AMC and Regal getting in on this practice.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm SO excited! TCM is showing Casablanca at theaters around the country, and my city is one of them!!! I can't wait to see this classic on the big screen. Going this Wednesday!

GWTW, Wizard of Oz.

Watching these films on the big screen was like watching them for the first time.
I like the comfort/privacy of home viewing, but their’s nothing quite like being with folks
in a theater with popcorn & a drink.
I know you’ll have a grand time Melissa!

"Nicholaus and Alexandra" 1971
  • The slow first half of the movie - the build-up to the Russian Revolution - could've been lifted out and replaced with three overlay paragraphs explaining the Russian geo-political and Czar's family background leading up to the revolution
  • The second half - other than suffering from a 1970s "feel -" is a solid movie showing the complete breaking of a man - the Czar - and how he and his family handled going from their commanding heights to almost-squalid house arrest in Siberia to their ultimate fate
  • Along the way, the - at that moment in history - competing forces for power in Russia battle for control as seen, mainly, through their interaction with the losing-power and, then, all but powerless Czar which gives an interesting angle on the revolution
  • David Lean could and did (with "Doctor Zhivago") make a better epic movie about the Russian Revolution and would have handled this material with more nuance and verisimilitude / but as noted, this material was better suited to a more-focused character study of the Czar and his family

"The Falcon In Hollywood" 1944
  • It's a fun low-budget-series movie that's enjoyable if you go in with no expectations other than watching a fun low-budget-series movie
  • The best part is the time travel to 1940s Hollywood - the racetrack, an (effectively) incredible "tour" of the RKO movie lot (the movie factory in its heyday), the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and many streets and buildings in Hollywood
  • The second best part is the breezy approach (almost felt like a weekly radio series), the good-looking actors who seemed to be having fun and the warp-speed story telling
  • The weakest part is a silly plot with many tells and forced dialogue to move it all along

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
The Falcon movies were great fun. Kind of a formula like The Saint and Boston Blackie from the same time

The Falcon movies were great fun. Kind of a formula like The Saint and Boston Blackie from the same time

You are spot on, for some reason, America of that period was in love with the "lone-wolf" private detective / do-good crime-solving citizen (who also was rich, suave and good looking).

I am very far from an expert on the genre, but I've always like The Saint a lot, but mainly in the original books. Other than the movie I just saw, I'm not familiar with The Falcon, his background, etc.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
The Falcon series was actually created to replace The Saint and was originally played by the Saint, George Sanders, one of my favorite actors. Eventually he was replaced by his brother, Tom Conway, as the Falcon's brother, Tom. Original huh?

Boston Blackie was a reformed jewell thief who turned his criminal talents to doing good but essentially the same charecter

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
If you ever get the chance and like The Saint and The Falcon catch George Sanders in Death of a Scoundrel which also features his brother Tom. Completely different character and movie but he is excellent

The Falcon series was actually created to replace The Saint and was originally played by the Saint, George Sanders, one of my favorite actors. Eventually he was replaced by his brother, Tom Conway, as the Falcon's brother, Tom. Original huh?

Boston Blackie was a reformed jewell thief who turned his criminal talents to doing good but essentially the same charecter

Tom Conway looked so much like his brother that I looked him up on IMDB after watching it and discovered what you noted - what a funny thing to have happen, the brother taking over the role. Like you, I enjoy Sanders as an actor. I just saw him in "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" where he plays a wonderful scoundrel. But, for my money, his role of role is in "All About Eve."

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you covered him with garbage,
George Sanders would still have style
- Ray Davies, "Celluloid Heroes"

This guy excelled at playing upper-crust sleazes. There's always something "off" about his characters, no matter how debonair and civil they are... even the ones who aren't villains. Agree that he's great in All About Eve, but see also Forever Amber, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Samson and Delilah, Ivanhoe, and plenty of others. For example, later he voiced the tiger Shere Khan in The Jungle Book... as a bored, degenerate royal (thus setting the template for Jeremy Irons as Scar in The Lion King).

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
Death of a Scoundrel is probably his classic

At the end of his actual life he committed suicide, probably over depression due to failing health and his inability to care for himself and left the following note

"Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck"

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
We caught an early matinee today of Thor:Ragnarok. Wow, what a fun ride! I thought the Doctor Strange tie in was out of place (more so for me as I have not seen the Dr. S. film yet), and gather it is deliberately in both movies for just that reason - tie ins. Whatever, a small blip in an otherwise great trip!

It will make more sense if you've seen Doctor Strange. :)

Glad you enjoyed it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21