Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Last night it was The Benny Goodman Story (1956). Well done by Steve Allen. The film was not as well polished as The Glen Miller Story, but it was represented quite well. With appearances of well known musicians like Gene Krupa, Harry James, Ben Pollack & Lionel Hampton it lends an appearance of authenticity to the story & film. Steve Allen, as an accomplished jazz musician himself, felt authentic as Benny Goodman, but maybe not appearing as the task master the he original was.
Over all not too bad a film to inspire our son as a budding clarinet student. One can only hope that jazz & swing take a hold.

Cheers!

Dan

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
"A Very Long Engagement" this afternoon. Such a lovely film; and now I have an urge to wear long woolen skirts and fitted jackets..... Oh, and speak French, of course. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
Finished part 1 of Dr. Mabuse the Gambler. Before I start pt. 2 of this four hour Fritz Lang film, I am going to watch Laugh, Clown, Laugh w/Lon Chaney this evening.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Finished part 1 of Dr. Mabuse the Gambler. Before I start pt. 2 of this four hour Fritz Lang film, I am going to watch Laugh, Clown, Laugh w/Lon Chaney this evening.

Ooh, "Laugh Clown Laugh" is an intense, sad film. Of course, all Chaney's sad clown/circus character films tend to be. Have you seen "The Unknown"?

BlameOnMame

New in Town
I am both movie obsessed AND a bored receptionist with a lap top, therefore when I am not distracted but other random things on the net I am usually watching movies all day.

The last thing I watched was Cover Girl. It was pretty great.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Stone Boy (1983) with Robert Duvall, Glenn Close, and Wilfred Brimley, the pure Wilfred before he was a spokesactor for whatever.

There was so many long drawn out shots of people internalizing pain, Montana vistas, farms scenes, and so on, that I was compelled to fast forward through all those dialogueless stretches. Shrank the movie by about twenty-five percent.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're doing a second-run week of the new "Star Trek," which isn't a bad picture, although Nimoy needs to get a better set of false teeth. Precisely *one* person showed up for the matinee today -- this type of show doesn't do much for our regular crowd. Too bad they couldn't have found a way to put Judi Dench in it, we'd have sold out.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Feraud said:
The Unknown is fantastic!

One of the few pictures that gave me nightmares the first time I saw it -- not because it's "scary" but because it's deeply deeply disturbing in the way that only a Tod Browning picture can be. I've not seen it since, but even thinking about it makes me shudder.

Edward

Bartender
I saw Gran Turino for the first time last night: quite possibly the best Eastwood film I've ever seen. Beautifully written, it could so easily have sunk into cheesey cliche, but the script is so well handled, every character is a believable person with no sudden reversal of former poor attitudes or anything. Also much more humour in it than I had expected. And that ending.... oh my.

Gene

Practically Family
Me and the "missus" watched Revolutionary Road the other night. It was an okay movie with some good sets and costumes, but very depressing and overall humorless. Definitely should only be watched when in a terrible mood.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I saw "Five Fingers" on TCM last night. What a movie!!! Based on a true story, the valet of the British Ambassador in (neutral) Turkey during WW II, was selling top level secrets to the Germans. The Germans, for their part, were too stupid to believe any of the information he gave them. It's a terrific (I mean TERRIFIC) story of intrigue and double dealing. With a shiney silver thread of grim hilarity running through it. You root for the totally amoral James Mason throughout the whole thing. MUCH fun.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Edward said:
I saw Gran Turino for the first time last night: quite possibly the best Eastwood film I've ever seen. Beautifully written, it could so easily have sunk into cheesey cliche, but the script is so well handled, every character is a believable person with no sudden reversal of former poor attitudes or anything. Also much more humour in it than I had expected. And that ending.... oh my.

I saw it on a plane recently and it was superb, real craftsmanship. I also enjoyed the line about WD40.

The last film I watched was Das Boot but it was dubbed rather than having subtitles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters