Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Not the last one, it was two days ago, when I saw an old french movie with Jean Gabin as commisar Maigret (the original title is Maigret tend un piège and I do not know if it has an english name). It's one of many Maigret movies and was made in 1957. I liked it, besides Gabin had realy nice hats and stylish clothes and he is one of these actors I really enjoy watching in most of the movies with him.

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
Unlucky Berman said:
Not the last one, it was two days ago, when I saw an old french movie with Jean Gabin as commisar Maigret (the original title is Maigret tend un piège and I do not know if it has an english name). It's one of many Maigret movies and was made in 1957. I liked it, besides Gabin had realy nice hats and stylish clothes and he is one of these actors I really enjoy watching in most of the movies with him.

I'm going to make a note of this film. I just got Touchez Pas au Grisbi from netflix today, with Jean Gabin and the gorgeous, beautiful Mme. Jeanne Moreau. France, 1954, for what more can one ask?

Professor

A-List Customer
The Way We Were

Saw this film for the first time last night, Turner Classic Movies had a Barbra Streisand evening, and truly enjoyed it. Not only an excellent production, but with characters I could personally identify with. -Dave

"Gorgeous goyish guy" meets Jewish radical girl in Sydney Pollack's glossy romance. In 1937, frizzy-haired Red co-ed Katie Morosky (Barbra Streisand) briefly captures the attention of preppy jock Hubbell Gardiner (Robert Redford) with her passionate pacifism, while the writing talent beneath his privileged exterior entrances her. Almost eight years later, the two are reunited in New York, when well-coiffed leftist radio worker Katie spies military officer Hubbell snoozing in a nightclub. Through her force of will, and in spite of his smug rich friends, the two opposites fall in love, sparring over Katie's activist zeal and Hubbell's writerly ambivalence after a failed first novel. They head to Hollywood so that Hubbell can write a screenplay for his buddy-turned-producer J.J. (Bradford Dillman). But the House Committee on Un-American Activities' Communist witch hunt in 1947 tears the pair apart, as a pregnant Katie refuses to keep silent about the jailing of the Hollywood Ten, while a faithless Hubbell decides to save his career. When the two meet again at the dawn of the '50s, TV hack Hubbell and A-bomb protestor Katie feel the old pull, but they have to decide if it's worth the grief. Although blacklisted writers had returned to Hollywood -- and won Oscars -- by the early 1970s, the HUAC sections of Arthur Laurents's screenplay were still considered dicey, resulting in substantial cuts; Laurents reportedly blamed star Redford for not fighting them hard enough. Regardless of the edits, and critics' complaints about the film's schlockiness, 1973 audiences went for the well-executed and still politically tinged weepie, turning The Way We Were into one of the most popular films of 1973 and Redford into a major heartthrob. Streisand won an Oscar nomination for Best Actress and the Streisand-sung title tune won for Best Song. Despite the eviscerated politics, The Way We Were poignantly captures the insoluble dilemma of reconciling private desires with public awareness.

Barbra Streisand - Katie Morosky
Robert Redford - Hubbell Gardiner
Bradford Dillman - J.J.
Patrick O'Neal - George Bissinger
Viveca Lindfors - Paula Reisner
Lois Chiles - Carol Ann
Susan Blakely - Judianne
Eric Boles - Army Corporal
Robert Dahdah - Officer Passing Plaza
Herb Edelman - Bill Verso
Diana Ewing - Vicki Bissinger
Constance Forslund - Jenny
George Gavnes - El Morocco
Robert Gerringer - Dr. Short
Murray Hamilton - Brooks Carpenter
Roy Jenson - Army Captain
Marcia Mae Jones - Peggy Vanderbilt
Don Keefer - Radio Actor
Brendan Kelly - Rally Speaker
Don Koll - Officer Dining
Allyn Ann McLerie - Rhea Edwards
Barbara Peterson - Ash Blonde
Edward Power - Airforce
Dan Seymour - Guest
Suzanne Zenor - Dumb Blonde
Sally Kirkland - Pony Dunbar
James Woods - Frankie McVeigh

[YOUTUBE]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/hTXYk-aG79I&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/hTXYk-aG79I&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Getting ahead of the thread title, but I'm preparing to watch, right now on TCM, "The Trouble With Harry". It's an adorable, quirky Hitchcock dark comedy. Shirley MacLaine, John Forsythie, Edmund Gwenn, and Jerry Mathers before he was "The Beaver."

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
I think I have reached my violence quota for the month...

1. Inglourious Basterds - it has been a long time since I have laughed and cheered with a film.
It would be nice when the movie goes to dvd that it has an alternative endings feature - that would be interesting.

Til Scheiger is definately a Basterd ;)

2. Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels - I have seen this film many times. I like Guy Ritchie villian films [though I don't know what he was thinking when he made 'swept away' with his ex].

Tom: "It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the Sale of the fucking Century!" In fact, **** it Nick, I think I'll keep it!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Perfume was a really intriguing movie - until the end and then I felt quite displeased and irritable. And I am generally really open minded when it comes to story telling.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Marcus said:
Quite surprised by a flick called the "The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao". The wife recorded it and I didn't think it would keep my attention. Tony Randall and Barbara Eden (first time I saw her NOT as Jeannie).

That is one trippy flick. Saw it in junior high. Still don't know if there's a message, like "be yourself." What a wild experience for an adolescent brain.

Marcus

A-List Customer
Rancho Notorious, 1952 with Marlene Dietrich. I found the inspiration behind Madeline Kahn's performance in Blazing Saddles. I always knew she was going for a Dietrich thing, but after I watched Rancho Notorious, I see where she/Mel Brooks took the whole look, sound and especially the saloon song from. Maybe this is common knowledge, but it's new to me.

ranchonotorious.jpg

9042-1934.gif

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Kansas City

I watched Robert Altman's Kansas City on DVD last weekend. The 1930's period music, costumes, and sets were fantastic. I have no idea why Harry Belafonte did not win an Oscar for his performance.

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
Billion Dollar Brain with Michael Caine. It's one of the Harry Palmer trilogy. It's also not so good, which is sad because Ipcress File is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner