Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
And you thought it would play out how?!?! Like Coco Chanel. [huh]

;)

I went into it with no expectations, because I stumbled upon it on Netflix stream (I thought is was only on dvd in my queue). I was surprised at how sad YSL's trajectory was, creatively-speaking. I think his potential suffered due to not having a mentor (for as long as) like his peers.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
docneg said:
Great to hear from another Falcon fan. I just watched The Falcon's Alibi, my favorite in the series. Although I find George Sanders a little more entertaining, I love the Tom Conway films, too. Maybe because he looked a lot like my Dad (who actually had the same kind of personality).

I wonder, if he had lived, Tom Conway would have aged the same way my father did:
Dad87.jpg

I can see a strong resemblance of Tom Conway in the photo of your father. If you have not seen it already keep an eye out for the film Two O' Clock Courage (1945) directed by Anthony Mann and starring Tom Conway as a gentleman with amnesia and Ann Rutherford as a cabbie helping him unravel the mystery of his identity. It's not a Falcon movie but very enjoyable none the less.

funneman

Practically Family
Scandal Sheet - 1952

As Film-noir goes this one has it all!

Broderick Crawford as the hard-boiled newspaper editor.

John Derek as the young cub reporter.

Donna Reed as the reporter with a heart.

Tough talking dialog and plenty of sweaty suspense from Crawford.

Feraud

Bartender
Circus Queen Murder with the always stylish Adolphe Menjou and Dwight Frye. An enjoyable (if predictable) murder mystery taking place at a circus.
This was one of two films Menjou starred in as Police Commissioner Thatcher Colt, the other being The Night Club Lady. I hope to see this one eventually.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Easy Virtue - great sets and costumes...it took awhile to get rolling but once it did, it became a very delightful movie. Jessica Biel, as always, looks radiant!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I just watched THE WRONG ROAD, a cautionary tale of two wet-behind-the-ears, otherwise-wholesome embezzlers (played by Helen Mack and Richard Cromwell) who think life's dealt them a bum deal, so it's okay if they steal some money -- $100 grand, to be specific -- as long as they pay their due debt to society.

Lionel Atwill is the very understanding insurance investigator who doesn't hold the young couple's actions against them; he just wants the money back -- and he gets them released early from prison, convinced that they'll feel guilty as a result and come through with the dough.

Things go awry, as you might well guess.

The picture, which progresses so quickly, it seems to be told in shorthand, is only 53 minutes long, but it's moderately entertaining.

FYI, it's available for streaming or downloading at archive.org.

docneg

One of the Regulars
Mike1939 said:
If you have not seen it already keep an eye out for the film Two O' Clock Courage (1945) directed by Anthony Mann and starring Tom Conway as a gentleman with amnesia and Ann Rutherford as a cabbie helping him unravel the mystery of his identity.

Yes, I love that one. I had a tape of an earlier version (only 5 years earlier, if I recall) and got it out to watch it again in order to compare the two films, and discovered it had been taped over! Rats!

Anyway, compare Somewhere in the Night with John Hodiak for a similar plot. Good one also.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Celia Crowson said:
Hiya ~ did you watch it on ABC tv?
It's one of my favourite movies.

They are always showing great films very late at night - I always check their program guide and have my video recorder ready :)

Sure did :) I remember seeing it years ago, although I got alot more from it watching it this time. The scenes of Canterbury after the air raids are amazing.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Manhandled, from 1948 or 1949, with Dan Duryea, Dorothy Lamour, and Sterling Hayden, part of the salute to Hayden on TCM.

Is it noir? Is it comedy noir? What was director Lewis R. Foster going for? Alan Napier, who seems to be seven feet tall, towering over everybody in the picture, including Hayden, and then psychologist Harold Vermilyea, who seems about four foot two. Then there’s the newsie who is even shorter than Vermilyea.

Lotsa weird clowning around with the police lieutenant and his sergeant, and Hayden as this tough guy insurance investigator (Hayden is no Johnny Dollar) on the trail of some missing jewels tied into a murder. The police let him ride with them, take his advice, and sit in on police proceedings.

Heavily set-bound, there’s a great deal of group set ups, with the lieutenant surrounded by six to eight police, all smoking cigarettes or pipes, but with only Hayden or the lieutenant talking. Then they all jump up and pile into squad cars, drive real fast somewhere, then stand around and watch the two leads do all the talking. What were they getting paid for?

This was Lamour’s last film for Paramount, and she doesn’t have a lot to do other than react to Duryea’s slimy maneuverings. Jane Wyman could easily have been substituted and no one would have noticed.

In one scene, Duryea ties his bow tie without benefit of mirror, all the while cracking wise.

Irving Bacon is the sergeant, and as soon as I heard his voice I recognized him as the station wagon driver from Holiday Inn! Here he’s clean-shaven and wears normal clothes.

Rental? Yes, if it’s on disc. Buy it? Dunno.

Dozens of snappy lids, though.

Lillemor

One Too Many
The Tender Spot. Sylvia Crewes played by some Celeste Holm was stunning! Her character is supposedly 33 in the film. I'll soon be 33 and I'd much rather dress like that character if my lifestyle was different than the way so called glamorous 30 something characters are dressed in movies and on TV now. I wish actresses between 30-70 didn't all try to look 20 today.:rolleyes:

Is it just me or are there fewer golden era movies and more 70s-80s movies on TCM these days? The oldest movies are usually on early in the day when this homemaker doesn't actually have time to sit and watch TV.

WH1

Practically Family
The Caller
A recent film with Elliot Gould and Frank Langella
I had never heard of it before but found it to be quite good. Kind of slow but very very good acting by both gentlemen and some great sets in NYC.

Feraud

Bartender
Lillemor said:
Is it just me or are there fewer golden era movies and more 70s-80s movies on TCM these days? The oldest movies are usually on early in the day when this homemaker doesn't actually have time to sit and watch TV.
I don't see it. TCM will show a modern film or two but the large majority of their films are classics.
In fact, this evening TCM is showing Claude Rains films as their Star of the Month.
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?startDate=09/30/2009&timezone=EST&cid=N

anon`

One Too Many
Kiss Me Deadly

Didn't even realise that I had this one! Found a copy of one of MGM's film noir box sets on the cheap awhile back and bought it... this was the fourth film in the box (along with Mulholland Falls, True Confessions and Night of the Hunter) and somewhere along the line I forgot to watch this one. I must admit, based solely on this exposure, Mike Hammer ranks pretty far below Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe and Harry Nile as far PIs go =/

I was also amused at the portrayal of the film's MacGuffin, which was pretty cheesy. And the ending was a helluva brick wall! I've seen worse films, though... even in light the '50s art and architecture!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
anon` said:
Kiss Me Deadly

Didn't even realise that I had this one! Found a copy of one of MGM's film noir box sets on the cheap awhile back and bought it... this was the fourth film in the box (along with Mulholland Falls, True Confessions and Night of the Hunter) and somewhere along the line I forgot to watch this one. I must admit, based solely on this exposure, Mike Hammer ranks pretty far below Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe and Harry Nile as far PIs go =/

I was also amused at the portrayal of the film's MacGuffin, which was pretty cheesy. And the ending was a helluva brick wall! I've seen worse films, though... even in light the '50s art and architecture!

I like "Kiss Me Deadly" a lot! Great ending, too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran