Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Took last night off from work and actually watched a movie at home for a change -- the 1937 Warner musical "Varsity Show." Lots of fun, but I wish they'd done more with the actual music -- the score features several excellent tunes which should have been showcased individually instead of all lumped together into the Busby Berkeley extravaganza at the end. They also should have found more for Mabel Todd to do, sort of a budget-edition Martha Raye with glasses.

I didn't for a minute buy Fred Waring as a college student -- he must've been left back a lot in grammar school. But it was nice to see Walter Catlett as the fussy authority figure instead of Hugh Herbert for a change. And Dick Powell and Ted Healy really should have made a series of comedy-team pictures -- they work together extremely well.

Feraud

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
Spending the weekend projecting new documentary films for a regional film festival. Last night's feature was "The Philosopher Kings," where upper-middle-class college kids discover that the school custodians actually have more to their lives than just pushing a broom. After the screening, as I was empting the trash bins, a patron came up to me and gushed "WOW! I bet you feel EMPOWERED after that film!" Sigh.
Oh Lord! :eusa_doh:

Cricket

Practically Family
Rear Window

I have always heard about it, but I never had a chance to watch it. Was hooked from beginning to end, literally in the edge of my seat. For some reason, the dark room across the courtyard with only a cigarette showing in the darkness made goosebumps appear.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Tale of Despereaux. Cute movie, though I heard the book is completely different (and much better). My daughter loved the movie, though.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, watched yesterday late in the night. It is always a pleasure to watch it and one of these were I even like Elizabeth Taylor.
I had to take this movie, was in the mood for it, after there came one other with Paul Newman, which I have seen long ago. The Prize, kind of espionage thing during the cold war. Liked it, not as good as others but it has its points and Paul is funny and very good.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Spending the weekend projecting new documentary films for a regional film festival. Last night's feature was "The Philosopher Kings," where upper-middle-class college kids discover that the school custodians actually have more to their lives than just pushing a broom. After the screening, as I was empting the trash bins, a patron came up to me and gushed "WOW! I bet you feel EMPOWERED after that film!" Sigh.

:eek:fftopic: But I had to share; my husband just did a rotation with a highly skilled Hispanic surgeon. This doctor lives in one of the typical, high-maintenance parts of town, & one Sunday afternoon as he was outside working in his front garden, a car stopped. The driver called out a compliment, saying what a lovely yard it was, what fine work this man does, and "may I have your card? I'd like to hire you to do mine." :eusa_doh:

Feraud

Bartender
It's October again and TCM will be showing plenty of horror films.
My dvr is primed to record.

Yesterday I watched White Zombie and Mad Love . White Zombie had great atmosphere with Lugosi giving everyone the creepy eyes and hand wringing while making zombies to do his bidding on a plantation.

Mad Love stars Peter Lorre as the gifted surgeon/obsessive. Nothing says love like having a life sized wax figure of the woman you admire in your home and grafting a knife throwing killer's hands on her husband's damaged mitts.

Christy

One of the Regulars
I watched Shadow of a Doubt on Friday night. I had never seen it before, but I really enjoyed it. I thought Teresa Wright was excellent. The movie held me in suspense the whole time. I also liked that they put a little romance into it as well. Plus, she had really great shoes, I was jealous! lol

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Though I don't normally care to have tv on during the day, it's been a Ronald Coleman afternoon on TCM so I've just finished "Cynara", and am starting on "The Devil to Pay." The 30's hair, fashion, snappy dialogue, it's all so perfect. And Mr. Coleman can wear that moustache like nobody's business.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Christy said:
I watched Shadow of a Doubt on Friday night. I had never seen it before, but I really enjoyed it. I thought Teresa Wright was excellent. The movie held me in suspense the whole time. I also liked that they put a little romance into it as well. Plus, she had really great shoes, I was jealous! lol

One of my favorite Hitchcock films, he really captures that hometown Americana of the 1940's. I agree Teresa Wright is wonderful matching the charmingly evil Uncle Charlie wit for wit.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Mike1939 said:
Green For Danger (1946)

A delightful murder/mystery set in a rural hospital during WW2. Alastair Sim is brilliant as Inspector Cockrill.

A great mystery, with Sim stealing the show. When the anesthesiologist explains how laughing gas works, he says "It's the impurities that cause the laughter." To which Cockrill replies, "Ah, it's the same in the music halls."

Christy

One of the Regulars
Mike1939 said:
One of my favorite Hitchcock films, he really captures that hometown Americana of the 1940's. I agree Teresa Wright is wonderful matching the charmingly evil Uncle Charlie wit for wit.

I agree, I think he did an excellent job capturing that small town feeling. I love how TCM gives an introduction to movies, because I found it really interesting that he had Thornton Wilder write the screenplay because of how he captured small town life in Our Town. I would have never known that without TCM. lol

Joseph Cotten was definitely charmingly evil! I thought the roles were really well cast.

I had only seen one other Hitchcock movie before this, Dial M for Murder. I thought it was okay, not my favorite movie, but I really enjoyed Shadow of a Doubt, I'd watch it again.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Miller's Crossing,......another Coen brother's gem.
If you have yet to enjoy this masterpiece, please take the time some day to sit back and watch a real gangster movie. You'll be glad you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran