Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I re-watched "Big Night" tonight. Late 50s take on the values of good cuisine. Doesn't hurt that Isabella Rosalini and Minnie Driver are in it in those fab dresses!

"HEY! It is NEVER too much! It is only not ENOUGH! Bite your teeth into the ass of life! and drag it to you!"

Yeah great film and Isabella... [sigh]

Feraud

Bartender
Mark of the Vampire with Lugosi and Barrymore.
Bad editing but an interesting film. Weird ending!

TCM has been showing plenty of horror films this month.
There is a run of Karloff films coming up soon.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Meanwhile, back on Howland Island.......

Just saw "Amelia", which came out in theaters Friday. I've long been interested in Amelia Earhart and have followed many of the books/articles/movies made about her life and disappearance in 1937. One reason is I was born just a few days after she and Fred Noonan disappeared on 2 July, 1937. I was born 7 July, 1937. Up until 7 December, 1941, there was a still a lot of talk about what might have happened to she and her navigator, then obviously the war became the main thing on everyone's mind for the duration.
I expected that Hollywood would do their normal "Hollywooding" of her, and to some-thankfully-minor degree, they did. But Ms.Swank did such an outstanding job of capturing Amelia's personality that it alone made you forget the odd Hollywood fingerprint here and there. The only technical argument I have is that the cinematographer seemed to have an overdeveloped fascination with the close-up shot. I feel I can now describe in great detail, each tooth in Hilary Swank's mouth. Other than that, costuming seemed period correct, as were cars, planes, furniture and the like. The one thing that surprised me about it most of all though was that Richard Gere actually "acted" and put aside his own self adoring attitude.
All in all, worth the price of admission. (if you don't include the $5.00 drink and $7.50 popcorn.)
Just my opinion; I could be wrong.
Frankie Lamb

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Tonight I watched "Targets", one of Peter Bogdanovich's first films, and with Boris Karloff.
It's a strange blend of typical, gritty, flat, late 60s, early 70s cinematography, and juxtaposition of dry, subtle humor with the stark terror of a mild-mannered young man with a gun.
Karloff was his lovely, British, true-gentlemanly self. I think I've got a crush on him now. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
The Walking Dead.
A returned from the dead Boris Karloff takes revenge on the gang that double crossed and sent him to the electric chair. Directed by M. Curtiz.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
City Streets

Starring Gary Cooper and Sylvia Sidney(Rawrrrr!). It was a good film and not a bad story line. The guy works at a circus, gets into the beer rackets on account of his girl taking a bum rap and getting tossed in the can by the cops, then makes a lot of dough, picks up his girl from jail, gets out of the rackets and drives into the wild blue yonder with his girl to live happily ever after. Awesome!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Mark of the Vampire with Lugosi and Barrymore.
Bad editing but an interesting film. Weird ending!

TCM has been showing plenty of horror films this month.
There is a run of Karloff films coming up soon.

Is that the one where it's all a phony charade designed to help out an heiress? A super lineup of horror talent, and it was not what it seemed?

Chrome

One of the Regulars
I went to see a Lady in the lake. Never seen it before and loved it! great camera job and face expressions.

What made it spectacular is that I saw in in the big screen at the theatre what was build in 1927 and restored to orginal look in 2001. Love the deco.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just finished previewing "My One And Only," which starts a week's run tonight. Very enjoyable early-fifties period piece, despite a few minor set-dressing and costuming slipups. Although I do wish someone would tell Miss Zellwegger to stop squinting.

Feraud

Bartender
Renee looks like she is constantly sucking lemons. :)

I watched There Goes My Heart last night starring Frederic March and Virginia Bruce.
The co-star Patsy Kelly stole the movie! She was great.

Feraud

Bartender
There is always the cute and ditzy girl tripping over some barely perceptible object or getting whacked in the head. I believe actresses like Kate Hudson and Sandra Bullock have made a fine career out of such dreck.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Renee looks like she is constantly sucking lemons. :)

:D Many times I've found myself wondering what is it about her? She's quite attractive,....but something was.........well "different".

Sucking lemons. Perfect.

Last night poured myself a rum, got out an Arturo Fuente and watched the DVD The Lost City.
I'd seen it years ago and remembered enjoying it in spite of the not-so-great reception it received.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
At the moment, finishing up "Night Must Fall", with Robert Montgomery (doing a pretty passable Welsh accent for a yank), and Rosalind Russell. Yes, I've seen it before, several times, but it's always a nice, 'grisly' treat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy