Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Last night I watched "Inherit the Wind", and then part of "Sunset Boulevard." I'd like to have watched it all the way through, but needed to get some sleep. It's okay though; having seen it several times, I could lay in bed and play the ending in my head. ;)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
I can't believe I waited so long to view such a classic, a great film.

The opening shot tells it all, with the camera focusing on the words Sunset Boulevard stenciled onto the curb: we start in the gutter. Once Norma gets going, it's high-toned insanity all the way to the utterly indescribable last shot.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
The opening shot tells it all, with the camera focusing on the words Sunset Boulevard stenciled onto the curb: we start in the gutter. Once Norma gets going, it's high-toned insanity all the way to the utterly indescribable last shot.

:)

It's one of those films that I've seen so many nods to and parodies but never knew where they came from, a real treat.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
:)

It's one of those films that I've seen so many nods to and parodies but never knew where they came from, a real treat.

Those of us who enjoyed Remember WENN will remember when they parodied Sunset Blvd., but had to ditch a bike instead of a car. A compact, low budget affectionate salute to an iconic film.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Coco Chanel

dd-coco13_ph1_0499122647.jpg

"I suspect that this was made for Television, It stared Shirley (I see dead People) Maclaine, as Coco, it started out splendidly, but I ended up watching the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes!)"

coco-chanell-movie12.jpg

High Pockets

Practically Family
I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but just the other night I watched The Maltese Falcon for the first time.

I had no idea it would be so fast paced, nor packed with so many clues along the way,.....most of which went right over my head.

I'll be watching this one several more times in the next few weeks.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
For the third time, Impact with Brian Donlevy, Helen Walker, Charles Coburn, Ella Raines, and Anna May Wong (with a cameo by Sheilah Graham). A somewhat neglected UA release from '49, directed by Arthur Lubin, and sort of a reverse-take on The Postman Always Rings Twice. Donlevy is very good in his role as the wronged husband, but it is Walker who really gives it her all as the deceptively unfaithful wife.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
The Road with Viggo Mortensen
Very bleak, heart wrenching.

I'm looking forward to this, although I am a little apprehensive as I loved the book. I just hope that they do justice to to it, as it is one of the most powerful novels I have ever read.

Saying that I'm a fan of Cormac McCarthy, one of the greatest American novelists of all time IMHO.

JohnnyL

New in Town
LordJohnRoxton said:
FINALLY saw Inglourious Basterds! I enjoyed it... not at all accurrate in ANY sort of way, but terribly amusing.

I was enjoying this until I realized that it was German propaganda concerning their "revenging Jew" fantasy. The average Wehrmacht dogface had little to do with the final solution. It was designed to elicit sympathy for the German soldiers in portraying the glee with which they were offed by the Jewish-American soldiers. When I read about the German financing behind this movie it all came together.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
A heapin' helping of David Harding, Counterspy, Danger Zone, and The Big Chase on the "Forgotten Noir" dvd from Blockbuster.

Danger Zone starred Hugh Beaumont, and it was obviously a rehash of Johnny Madero, Pier 23, even down to the main character working out of a boat rental shop on Pier 23. The purple outrageous dialogue was probably lifted from the radio show ("Okay golden boy go ahead and punk the whole stack'a pancakes but if you do it's your tip toe to crewcut hotfoot!") but having Ward Cleaver deliver it was not the same as Jack Webb's high speed recitation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy