Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Wow, so I just watched Me and Orson Welles and, ignoring Zac Effron's character, the entire movie is fantastic! The period pieces, the wardrobe, and the music are spot on and everyone needs to see this film.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"I Am Love," a turgidly arty Italian soap opera, redeemed by a fine performance by Tilda Swinton. There's also an -- unusual -- music score by John Adams containing lengthy quotes from "Nixon In China" and "The Death of Klingelhofer." Real make-out tunes there, John.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Horseman and Harry Brown

Two revenge/vigilante movies.

Harry Brown was a really mean movie. Its about an old man living in the projects (in the UK apparently they are called 'estates', how ironic) that is plagued by the local gangs. You were supposed to take the violence seriously but the FXs were as such that it looked like video game violence. I also thought the gang members were just ridiculous caricatures.

The Horseman was much more 'honest' if you can actually say that about these types of movies. In this movie a father finds out his daughter has overdosed on drugs and he also thinks she was forced into making an X rated video. The violence was brutal, and not as movie staged, which made it believable. I cringed quite a few times. There is a scene where he sees her video and gets so mad at her he dumps her ashes in the garbage can. Wow.

He starts picking off his daughter's 'attackers' one by one slowly realizing that he wasn't the best father to begin with. Then he gets a second chance with a run away, and messes that up too.

LD

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Aces High" (1976). Not too shabby WWI aviation flick about an SE5 squadron of the RFC on the Western Front. There's some inaccuracies with the aircraft which is to be expected but overall a good movie. Malcolm McDowell and Christopher Plummer are very good.

Also bears more than a passing resemblance to Derek Robinson's novel "Goshawk Squadron" but that's not a bad thing.

Derek WC

Banned
Widebrim said:
My former school in Hollywood was named after the heroine, and our "sister" school was named after the Indian, Allesandro (as if he would have an Italian monicker:eusa_doh:). Anyway, a book which helped to further romanticize California's Spanish past...

Interesting. I wasn't quite sure if the film was a true story, is it?

Claireg

One of the Regulars
"An Affair To Remember"
I wasnt holding out much hope for this one so imagine my suprise when I fell in love with it!
Deborah Kerr was so sassy, and although I thought Cary Grant looked like a leathery old lech he was hilarious.
It really got me and I even had a tear in my eye at the end.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Claireg said:
It really got me and I even had a tear in my eye at the end.

Ever see Waterloo Bridge with Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor?
:cry:

The heart of a woman goes forth with the dawn,
As a lone bird, soft winging, so restlessly on,
Afar o'er life's turrets and vales does it roam
In the wake of those echoes the heart calls home.

Georgia Douglas Johnson, The Heart Of A Woman

Seldom does a film fly a dart into the human heart....

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Harp said:
Ever see Waterloo Bridge with Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor?
:cry:

The heart of a woman goes forth with the dawn,
As a lone bird, soft winging, so restlessly on,
Afar o'er life's turrets and vales does it roam
In the wake of those echoes the heart calls home.

Georgia Douglas Johnson, The Heart Of A Woman

Seldom does a film fly a dart into the human heart....

Love Waterloo Bridge...And what a sad ending.:(

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
...And what a sad ending.:(

The scene where Vivien Leigh and Taylor's mother discuss the past,
and the look VL gives as a silent answer tears heart and soul.

Such a dart that sears like hot iron and sends a shudder through the soul.

vinspired

Familiar Face
deleteduser said:
Last night I watched Charlotte Gray and wept my eyes out, I was depressed for the rest of the day. I thought it was pretty convincing, but then, I don't know very much.

:) xx

Charlotte Gray is such a sad but beautiful film (+ Cate Blanchett looked amazing!).
Don't you just hate the school teacher/headmaster character!?
~ a quick death was too good for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy