Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LD, I'm hardly the world's biggest fan of the Alice books, and I generally champion adaptations that rework things to better suit the purposes of film... but that movie is a disaster. Half-baked ideas that are just plain wrong (Alice is now a teenage action heroine!), Burton indulging his worst habits, and a distinct lack of the original's charm. Most annoyingly, the social criticism of the original (which admittedly, is a bit obscure to today's POV) is entirely jettisoned.

I gather that the new Gulliver movie with Jack Black does the same thing - totally ignores the original book's purpose as a societal critique, and handles it as just a special-effects comedy. When you consider that even the earlier kiddie versions of Gulliver - the Fleischer cartoon, Harryhausen film, Halmi miniseries, etc. - made real efforts to keep this stuff, it's a sad commentary on the state of film, and filmgoers, today!

Just like the Brother's Grimm and Sherlock Holmes.
They are of their source material in title only, and to a lot of movie goers who are too lazy to read a book, that's just fine with them.

As far as Burton, I just wish he would stop making blockbusters. Sincerely, they are not his strong suit. I haven't seen a blockbuster film of his that I thought was any good, sans Sleepy Hollow, which on a scale of 1 to 10, I consider a 5.5. Which brakes my heart because he is one of my absolute favorite directors (Edward Scissorhands is one of my top 3), but he's just gotten bogged down in making his movies look as 'Tim Burton' as he can make them. It's like he's a caricature of his own style.

LD

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Yes, and Katherine Hepburn makes it even better. Really, who cares for Cary Grant when you can have Katherine Hepburn? And Cukor is the cream on top. ;)

rue

Just like the Brother's Grimm and Sherlock Holmes.
They are of their source material in title only, and to a lot of movie goers who are too lazy to read a book, that's just fine with them.

As far as Burton, I just wish he would stop making blockbusters. Sincerely, they are not his strong suit. I haven't seen a blockbuster film of his that I thought was any good, sans Sleepy Hollow, which on a scale of 1 to 10, I consider a 5.5. Which brakes my heart because he is one of my absolute favorite directors (Edward Scissorhands is one of my top 3), but he's just gotten bogged down in making his movies look as 'Tim Burton' as he can make them. It's like he's a caricature of his own style.

LD

He's one of my favorites too, but I have to agree with you especially in this: "It's like he's a caricature of his own style." What happened to the man that made Vincent?

There is a temptation for many film makers to put "their stamp" on classic material. There is a difference with subtle nuances versus taking liberties. I can understand in some situations where to be faithful to the book would make the picture 6 hours and that there may be a need to pare down. Lord of the Rings has a number of parts pared down to form the films.

LA Confidential has a lot of stuff removed because it is really complex in the book. So they took out stuff and shift many things around, but the characters are pretty close to their book persona. Elroy in the DVD interview gives his approval and said he though the story could not be adapted to a movie. He was right but he does approve of the film as it is.

I have not read any Harry Potter books but a friend said that some of the movies are vastly different from the book they are supposed to be based on.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Similar to the 1903 stage version I appeared in last summer. The version we all know strays wide of the book, which is silly (the book).

I just watched Splice. WOW.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Secret of Dr. Kildare (1939)
There is only ever one reason to watch Dr. Kildare movies and that is Lionel Barrymore, being Lionel Barrymore, playing Dr. Gillespie. Otherwise they are 90min soap operas with occasional one-liner humor. This one even had the old Pretty Girl Going Blind storyline no radio serial could go without.

From the mundane to the mesmerizing with
Genius Within: The Inner Life of Glenn Gould (2010)
American Masters widens its remit to honor Canada's most singular musician. Whether you know his music or just want to (like me), you will likely be fascinated by this trip into the mind of a man who was as unique and inexplicable as his talent. Friends, lovers and collaborators - and Gould himself, on tape - tell his story.

Last edited:

Bugsy

One Too Many
Today, I eked out enough time to see The King's Speech. It's a wonderfully done film. Colin Firth is getting a lot of buzz about an Oscar performance which indeed it is. However, Jeffrey Rush steals the film IMHO*.

*In My Humble Opinion

Berlin

Practically Family
Waterloo Bridge
2776wate.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21