Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"When A Man Loves," a 1927 Warner Bros. filming of "Manon Lescaut," turned into a vehicle for John Barrymore and Dolores Costello. A lush costume picture with something for just about everyone -- palace intrigue, slapstick comedy, swashbuckling, and soap opera, all rolled into two hours with a Vitaphone score.

It annoyed me terribly, though, because I sat thru the whole picture and they didn't explain what happened to Fifi The Cat. Very very upsetting.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Started watching The Strip on TCM, which I had never seen, last night. Had to stop halfway through to watch How To Train Your Dragon with my grandson. How To Train Your Dragon was actually entertaining. But I've got to find out when The Strip is running again, was really enjoying it.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The other day finished Pushover, with Fred MacMurray, Kim Novak, and a host of others. Feels very much like Double Indemnity. Somewhat set-bound, it feels like it could have been produced as a 50s tv crime drama.

To think it was released in 1954, the same year as White Christmas and A Star is Born...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
True Grit, in the IMAX theater. I enjoyed every minute of it, it was a great experience. This may have been my first western film experience at the movie theater, and it was a good one as well. I would recommend it to fellow Loungers, especially if you are interested in the western film genre.

kyboots

Practically Family
mOVIE

I stated to watch the first 3 movies of a Mae West box set. Very entertaining although mae west doesnt look as good as the story pretends. It's always more or less the same plot, too. But her way to talk makes up for that.[/QUOTET

The last movie I watched was Tron, very enjoyable but predictable. Mae West was a "sex pot" and comedian of the 1930's when movie moguls made stars out of ordinary people. Acting and Mae West were never really synonymous, but she was considered a good looking lady. I suspect they overdressed her in movies since she did sly wit comedy. Her movies of course are all the same. If you have seen one you have seen them all, but they do all have tons of great comedic remarks and quips that made her a star. I hope you enjoy them. As a kid I remember seeing Myra Breckinridge, in which Mae West I believe was featured but this was the late 70's and all the close ups were "fuzzy" on purpose due to her age. At least I think I got this correct. Maybe we need a thread on memory. Help me guys on my memory!----John

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"The Cuckoos," a 1925 Broadway show with Clark and McCullough turned into a 1930 movie vehicle for Wheeler and Woolsey. The stage score by Kalmar and Ruby is more or less intact, and includes one of the biggest hits of the year, "I Love You So Much," performed in the picture by Bert Wheeler, Dorothy Lee, and a basket of apples. The three Technicolor sequences are also intact, green skies and all. The best comedy bit in the film is a clear precursor to the Marx Bros. stateroom scene, featuring a cowboy, a singing drunk, a hot tamale vendor, a gypsy, a Chinese assassin, and a Murphy bed. And they said musicals were dead in 1930.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
From Paris With Love starring John Travolta. I enjoyed it and Travolta was very entertaining as a secret agent providing on the job training to his apprentice spy.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
the last few:

Wall Street 2 - strong contender for worst of 2010.
The Other Guys - some chuckles, but pretty bad.
Salt - forgettable. ordinary.
Reservation Road - unexpectedly moving. a very solid movie.
Alone in the Wilderness (for the millionth time) - still amazing.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Not quite a movie, but I think it's Lounge fodder.

From the description, these were images cut from movies to meet the Pennsylvania censors, and were all 35mm Nitrate (bad, bad, bad)

[video=youtube;iNtNxhQmkt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNtNxhQmkt4[/video]

Last edited:

DW Evans

New in Town
A film called, "The Killer Inside Me."

Adapted from the 1950s cult classic "The Grifters," by Jim Thompson, it'll definitely put you through the paces...

Cast: Casey Affleck, Jessica Alba, Kate Hudson, Simon Baker, Bill Pullman, etc.
Released: 2010, IFC Films

LordBest

Practically Family
Disney's Sleeping Beauty, rather impressive, like a moving quattrocentro painting.

A Christmas Carol, that animated production with Jim Carrey and Gary Oldman. Not a bad effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner