Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
...any impressions?????:popcorn:

Well, I think its worth seeing. My gf, who always talks through all movies and TV shows, was completely silent, with her mouth open, through the entire film.

Portman did all her own dancing. She trained for about a year, and she is very convincing. She lost a lot of weight, too. She looks like a ballerina.

The film captured the feel of the industry - stage, backstage, personality-types. When Portman was donning and removing her toe shoes, it looked like she had been doing it all her life.

Emotions on the screen came from the very deepest parts of the actors' souls. In addition to Portman, Barbara Hershey as her ex-ballerina mom was completely convincing, as was the cramped NYC apartment they lived in.

Portman's 'fantasy' scenes were well done, and tied in beautifully with what her all-consuming passion was doing to her body and mind. The finale's mix of reality and fantasy was riveting.

The music, which I have heard I dont know how many times before, took on new dimensions in the context of this story, especially in the final scenes.

My daughter is an artist. She's in school for opera and spent a few years dancing ballet. She cant stop talking about this movie.

I tried not to give away any plot here. I'd say go see it.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Well, I think its worth seeing. My gf, who always talks through all movies and TV shows, was completely silent, with her mouth open, through the entire film.
My daughter is an artist. She's in school for opera and spent a few years dancing ballet. She cant stop talking about this movie.

I tried not to give away any plot here. I'd say go see it.

-------------
:thumb: Thanks Scott. :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
OMG!! After preparing for the gross factor, I watched it in the movies. Absolutely hilarious. He managed to upset both the anti-gay and gay community all at once. Comic genius

It was mortifying and hilarious in equal measure - I don't know how he does what he does - he has the biggest brass neck out there!!!!!

Edward

Bartender
Watched quite a few this last week. On DVD:

Army of the Dead - wonderful B-Movie, made in recent years but with the feel of a classic, tacky 80s horror - think the team behind Critters doing skeletons inspired by Ray Harryhausen.

Inglorious Basterds - One of my favourite WW2 set films, and no less historically accurate than classics like The Great Escape.

Slither, lovely little horror film of recent years. It was marketed as a comedy-horror, but really that does it a severe disservice; it has far more in common with the tone of a genuine, old-school genre-piece such as Friday 13th.

Paschendaele, a historical drama about Canadian troops in the Great War. Not dissimilar to Saving Private Ryan, I suppose, but with all traces of the ghastly gung-ho, 'patriotic' nonsense removed. I could have lived without the love story, but it's quite a good film nonetheless.

Cronos, lovely alternative take on the vampire genre.

Jason X: pure, unadulterated fun.

Last night I also caught the last twenty minute or so of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - I'd forgotten how hilarious that was.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Watched The Prince and the Showgirl last night on TCM. Wow ...Marilyn Monroe has a screen prescence that is mesmerizing. Thoroughly enjoyed her performance. Oh yeah...the rest of the cast were good but this is her movie and she is on screen for almost the whole film. She was amazingly beautiful with real curves not the anorexic look todays female stars have adopted.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Clash of the Titans... It was better than I expected (after all, the "beloved" 1981 film - which I saw as an adult, not an impressionable kid - was also actually pretty lousy), and reasonably entertaining when regarded as just a sword-and-sandal action flick. But it made a real mess of the original mythology, and I'll take Ray Harryhausen's personality-filled handmade animation over today's CGI any day. I definitely enjoyed seeing the likes of Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes camping it up as gods... but honestly, I think Sam Worthington is a terrible actor: his Perseus was essentially Jake Sully with a sword!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday I saw Gomorrha, a film about the neapolitan Camorra based on the book by Roberto Saviano. Saviano is in hiding ever since his book came out several years ago. I liked the book much better.

Before I that I saw Captain Blood, the very first movie with Errol Flynn and Dodge City. I thought I knew all his swashbucklers, but this one escaped me before. I loved it, and Dodge City, too. I had never seen him in a western before. It worked just as well as the swashbucklers.

hasselhoff

One of the Regulars
I watched The Big Lebowsky and The Familly Guy special A New Hope. The Familly make me laugh hard, and the Coen brothers made a good movie, I like these two!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Just watched the new Sherlock Holmes. Not bad, quite a good feel, although I was distracted from the 'plot' by spotting the filming locations I knew well, Greenwich Naval College (VERY overused location for peiod shoots), St Georges Hall (gorgeous) and Stanley Dock in Liverpool.

Of the recent Sherolock reboots, I still prefer the recent BBC update, for those who haven't seen it yet I heartily reccommend it. There's a new series coming, hopefully also written by Mark Gatiss.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Before I that I saw Captain Blood, the very first movie with Errol Flynn and Dodge City. I thought I knew all his swashbucklers, but this one escaped me before. I loved it, and Dodge City, too. I had never seen him in a western before. It worked just as well as the swashbucklers.

Two good films, and you're right that Flynn could do well in a western, given the right script and the inclination on his part...

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Just watched the new Sherlock Holmes. Not bad, quite a good feel, although I was distracted from the 'plot' by spotting the filming locations I knew well, Greenwich Naval College (VERY overused location for peiod shoots), St Georges Hall (gorgeous) and Stanley Dock in Liverpool.

Of the recent Sherolock reboots, I still prefer the recent BBC update, for those who haven't seen it yet I heartily reccommend it. There's a new series coming, hopefully also written by Mark Gatiss.

I'm a die-hard Sherlock Holmes fan, and I didn't last 10 minutes into the Hollywood movie...it irked me! *lol* As a avid reader of the A. Doyle novels and stories, I just couldn't swallow this flick! I have heard that the BBC series is good, people seem to really enjoy it!
X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot