Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ooh, I'm gonna have to see that! Jack Cardiff was one of the all-time great cinematographers... and is a personal favorite!

http://www.cinematographers.nl/GreatDoPh/cardiff.htm

If you haven't read his autobiography I would really recommend it - it was one of the few books that I was sorry to finish and genuinly felt sad that that was the end of it! He writes with such humour, warmth and insight - the book is set out in chapters dealing with each great actor/director he worked with - some great stories!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Sea Hawk (1940) with Erroll Flynn, dir. Michael Curtiz. The middle portion, set in Panama in the 1580s, is in sepia; the rest is in black and white. A restoration necessity? Flora Robson as Queen Elizabeth dominates everyone in the scene with her. Claude Raines, heavily made up, is still suavity epitomized.

Berlin

Practically Family
Suspicious-River-B0002YLCWY-L.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The Sea Hawk (1940) with Erroll Flynn, dir. Michael Curtiz. The middle portion, set in Panama in the 1580s, is in sepia; the rest is in black and white. A restoration necessity? Flora Robson as Queen Elizabeth dominates everyone in the scene with her. Claude Raines, heavily made up, is still suavity epitomized.

Really good film. I don't recall that section being shot in sepia; perhaps it was a restoration necessity of sorts (or just some tampering). Rafael Sabatini, who wrote the novel The Sea Hawk, also penned Captain Blood, Flynn's first movie.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Revisited "The Kid From Spain," starring Eddie Cantor as a cowardly matador, Lyda Roberti as a desperate "I *keeeeees* you!" vamp, and Robert Young as a suave Mexican college boy. And the Goldwyn Girls as half-dressed co-eds. One of the only successful musicals made in 1932, and a key early triumph for Busby Berkeley, who would go on to do much more of this sort of thing.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Robert Young as a suave, Mexican college boy...That I would like to see! (As well as the Goldwyn Girls...). Interesting that Roberti was actually Polish, and died at age 31 in my hometown of Glendale; supposedly she had a heart attack while bending down to tie her shoes.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I just rewatched a great movie from 1984--Alan Rudolph’s Choose Me is a wonderful, exceptionally original film. With a close-knit cast that is comprised of an ex-prostitute barkeep (Lesley Ann Warren), an escaped mental patient who is a pathological liar (Keith Carradine), and a radio talk show sex therapist (Genevieve Bujold), among others, the film bemusedly asks the old joke: what happens when a group like this enters a bar? The resulting film is constantly wavering between being a romantic comedy and a film noir drama. That uncertainty, combined with the film’s sets (which are obviously sets) and the definite rhythms (reinforced by the ever present Teddy Pendergrass soundtrack), makes the film feel like a mass delusion. This is appropriate, since the film’s message is that we shouldn’t look to others to find out how to live our love lives, and this is a thoroughly romantic movie. Appropriately, it closes with a perfect moment of apprehension that suggests the fragility of that message and questions the sureness of the film’s resolution. More on it here: http://www.moviemartyr.com/1984/chooseme.htm

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Seconded.

Understand: I haven't seen Choose Me since the 80s, but I recall thinking it was a great film at the time.

Alan Rudolph's films are always interesting, but many of them don't quite work. As far as I remember, this one does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters