Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Vivian Rutledge

New in Town
Yesterday I finished watching the The Strange Love of Molly Louvain (1932) which is an early Michael Curtiz, starring Ann Dvorak and Lee Tracy. After that I watched From Headquarters (1933) starring George Brent and Margaret Lindsay. Next on my plate is the Columbia Film Noir Box No.2, Party Girl (1930), In This Our Life (1942), Union Depot (1932) and Desperate (1947). My work keeps on getting in the Warner Archive films, which is a great way for me to watch even more film noir & classics. Over the years I have run out!!

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Watched “Where Sleeping Dogs Lie” yesterday. It’s a bit slow, but I always enjoy the creepiness of the ending. Today I saw “Charlie Chan in Honolulu” on the TV. My first Charlie Chan movie; I’m not sure I’d want to see another.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Just got done watching Flyboys on Hulu. It wasn't as bad as Rotten Tomatoes thought it was. I'm curious how authentic the flight was. I'd like to see that Red Baron movie sometime soon. I've never been too much into WWII->Modern flight combat movies, but WWI is another story.

Berlin

Practically Family
vivacious_lady.jpg

Effingham

A-List Customer
Noooo. Í love Flyboys <3

I wanted to -- but when they put ALL the Germans into identical all-red Fokker triplanes, and all the Brits into all green Sopwith camels, I knew they were dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator, and that I was going to be royally disappointed. And in that, the movie didn't... um.... disappoint. ;)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Io Sono L'Amore (I am Love) - gorgeous movie which I really enjoyed (bar the usual unnecessary explicit sex scene which strangely had a touch of Gardener's World about it) - thought this movie would be a tad too arty but not so - it was beautifully done.

Berlin

Practically Family
I wanted to -- but when they put ALL the Germans into identical all-red Fokker triplanes, and all the Brits into all green Sopwith camels, I knew they were dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator, and that I was going to be royally disappointed. And in that, the movie didn't... um.... disappoint. ;)

Well..then..tell me you atleast liked the music? :p

Edward

Bartender
Red Baron is a good one.

I enjoyed it. I gather it is wildly historically inaccurate (so.... it with with about 307% of war films, then), but tremendously entertaining. Really brings out the sheer lunacy of early aerial combat. I found it interesting how modern revisionism affected it, in that they had gone to great pains to insert a composite character with a strong Jewish identity among the German characters. I' not sure to what extent this was done to make the point - flagged at the end - that many Jewish Germans fought bravely for Germany in the Great War, or how far it was also an attempt to avoid the obvious potential for negative publicity for the film in this age.

Berlin

Practically Family
Oh, yeah. Love bombastic flying music.

Thing is, when I want WW1 flyboy fun, I watch "The Blue Max."

Now *that's* a good film.

Thanks for pointing me out to that one. I have a bit of an obsession for WW1 and WW2 aircraft. Have seen most of the movies, but not this one.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Oh, yeah. Love bombastic flying music.

Thing is, when I want WW1 flyboy fun, I watch "The Blue Max."

Now *that's* a good film.

Are the dogfights in that movie realistic? I have no frame of reference to judge. I love WWI aviation. I like any movie with good and frequent dogfights, as I even like Top Gun quite a bit, but in general, the older the plane, the more I like it. The Red Baron as a historical figure is appealing to me in particular, because I like the kind of personality that says, "Make my plane bright red. I don't want to surprise them. I want to frighten them." more or less. I forgot the exact quote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou