Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Effingham

A-List Customer
Are the dogfights in that movie realistic? I have no frame of reference to judge. I love WWI aviation. I like any movie with good and frequent dogfights, as I even like Top Gun quite a bit, but in general, the older the plane, the more I like it. The Red Baron as a historical figure is appealing to me in particular, because I like the kind of personality that says, "Make my plane bright red. I don't want to surprise them. I want to frighten them." more or less. I forgot the exact quote.

Well, for one thing, they're real planes -- not CGI. :)

And George Peppard was flying his own plane. (!)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"The Red Baron" and "Flyboys" are total rubbish, woefully inaccurate and the dogfight scenes are a joke - WWI aircraft flying far too quickly, whole shooting match looks like a crap video game.

"The Blue Max" isn't bad but my pic for a WWI aviation flick is "Aces High" from 1976. Although they had to use Stampes for the SE5s the flying is REAL and gives a far more realistic view of what it was like to fly and fight in WWI.

Pompidou

One Too Many
"The Red Baron" and "Flyboys" are total rubbish, woefully inaccurate and the dogfight scenes are a joke - WWI aircraft flying far too quickly, whole shooting match looks like a crap video game.

"The Blue Max" isn't bad but my pic for a WWI aviation flick is "Aces High" from 1976. Although they had to use Stampes for the SE5s the flying is REAL and gives a far more realistic view of what it was like to fly and fight in WWI.

Thanks - I'll check both of those out. Flying too fast is the general complaint about all modern takes on WWI aviation, and rightfully so. Take a look at the speed the F14s and Migs zip around in Top Gun, and then take a look at how fast the Fokkers and such zip around in Flyboys and Red Baron - the pace is pretty much the same. Heck, compare it to Will Smith vs the alien fighter he eventually downs in Independence Day. There's a general consensus amongst action directors as to what it takes to create an exciting aerial combat scene, and they don't vary from it no matter what the craft are - whether they're gas/prop biplanes from the dawn of flight, or alien saucers from the future - the pace of combat never changes.

MissMittens

One Too Many
The Way Back, with Ed Harris. Great movie, not sure that the "true story" behind it was true. 4 men from different backgrounds (including an American) escape from a Siberian Gulag and make it, on foot no less, to India and safety during WW2.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Last night my friends had me over for the Corned Beef dinner and Guinness St Patrick's Day viewing of "The Quiet Man" as our annual tradition. This was the fifth year. It is a movie I have watched a number of times and every year I catch a little thing like an interaction between people in the background that I had not noticed before.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045061/

Coincidentally, last night we were at the sixth annual corned beef and cabbage dinner cooked up by our pastor and his family. The Quiet Man, a natural for the evening, was setting by the tv, but we ended up yakking the whole time.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Roar of the Dragon (1932) with Richard Dix, Gwili Andre, Edward Everett Horton, Arline Judge, Zasu Pitts, and a host of others. Group of Americans, Brits, and faux-Russian Gwili threatened by Chinese bandits headed up by C. Henry Gordon as Voronsky (all rampaging bands of Chinese bandits are guided by Russians, apparently; seeing as how the Chinese don't speak Russian, and Voronsky doesn't speak Chinese, they obligingly talk in English). Dix plays tipsy through half the movie, which runs a fast paced 1 hour 6 minutes. Edward Everett wears more eye make up than the lead singer for The New York Dolls. Arline Judge is the nice kid, and Zasu sounds just like Olive Oyl. dvr'd off of TCM.

Trust But Verify

New in Town
Just now finished watching The Red Baron (2008). Amazing cast, amazing cinematography, perfect soundtrack, and beyond amazing style. If you want to see some gorgeous leather outerwear you must see this movie.

It's currently (as of 3.19.2011) available for free instant streaming on your Netflix account. Enjoy!

Berlin

Practically Family
Vanishing on 7th street. Great movie. Thandie Newton was amazing.
It's always kind of a nightmare for me to wake up and all the people had just .. vanished.
van7os.jpg

Ghostbusters, dvr'd off of Nick at Nite. Technology, i.e., multiple quick skips through commercials, made this bearable. I had never seen this before. I could see why it enjoyed great popularity.

It's a very funny film and a lot of the dialog is notable. Spate's catalog and Tobin's Spirit Guide.

Two is pretty good and I found that after multiple viewings has actually gotten better over time for me.

Let's not forget Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker Jr. over the Ghostbusters theme song!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart