Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
So you didn't like it?

I'm about to read the book, which I never have :eek:, so I'll let you know ;)

I do have a question.... is Daisy supposed to be that annoying or is it just Mia Farrow that played her? Both times I watched it I kept thinking.... run away from her Jay... just run.[/QUOTE]

Having not seen any film adaptation of The Great Gatsby, I cannot speak to the Farrow presentation of the Daisy character. But in the book she is self-absorbed, shallow, and tied emotionally to Tom, despite the awkward relation with Jay. At least for me, in the book she is not quirky or needy or brittle, but obsessed with the opportunity her social station affords her to indulge in fun. That might be difficult to deliver in a film performance.

rue

Having not seen any film adaptation of The Great Gatsby, I cannot speak to the Farrow presentation of the Daisy character. But in the book she is self-absorbed, shallow, and tied emotionally to Tom, despite the awkward relation with Jay. At least for me, in the book she is not quirky or needy or brittle, but obsessed with the opportunity her social station affords her to indulge in fun. That might be difficult to deliver in a film performance.

Well it certainly gives me greater hope for the book, which I've heard is much better. In the film she's needy, overdramatic and an airhead so it was hard to understand why Jay was attracted to her. All that running around screaming with her arms flapping about made me wish someone would slap her lol
Don't get me wrong, I really like the movie, but she was a pill.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Well it certainly gives me greater hope for the book, which I've heard is much better. In the film she's needy, overdramatic and an airhead so it was hard to understand why Jay was attracted to her. All that running around screaming with her arms flapping about made me wish someone would slap her lol
Don't get me wrong, I really like the movie, but she was a pill.

In the book she's not that wacky. You want to be more sympathetic and see her as tragic, but she's very much a part of her moneyed world. I have read the book twice in thirty years, about that far apart from the first reading to the most recent; both times I was completely taken in by Fitzgerald's writing. Hope you like it. Any more of this and we'll be shipped over to the Whatcha Readin'? thread...

rue

In the book she's not that wacky. You want to be more sympathetic and see her as tragic, but she's very much a part of her moneyed world. I have read the book twice in thirty years, about that far apart from the first reading to the most recent; both times I was completely taken in by Fitzgerald's writing. Hope you like it. Any more of this and we'll be shipped over to the Whatcha Readin'? thread...

I understand what you are saying on both accounts ;)

As for being back on topic....
I watched Desk Set tonight for the second time after not having seen it for at least fifteen years and I have to say that although it's a cute movie, it says a lot about what was to come.

Edward

Bartender
So you didn't like it?

I'm about to read the book, which I never have :eek:, so I'll let you know ;)

I do have a question.... is Daisy supposed to be that annoying or is it just Mia Farrow that played her? Both times I watched it I kept thinking.... run away from her Jay... just run.

Daisy is, if anything, even more vile and contemptible a person than Catherine Earnshaw - hard as it may be to believe such a creature is possible, eve in fiction.

Do read the book - it is quite possibly the finest novel in the English language.

Last movie I saw?

Sucker Punch.

Good movie. Look beyond the ueber-nerd "hot chicks with automatic weapons" movie. It's about sacrifice. How far are you willing to go to obtain your goals?

I love the ending.

Tiller

Practically Family
I'm a bit surprised that people are enjoying Sucker Punch, I have heard nothing but negative comments about it. One reviewer said something along that line that it is a degrading movie towards women, and that the main character only shows she has any power when she begins stripping in front of men, and starts her seduction dance, and outside of this all the women are shown to be weak and abused creatures, well then men in this world exist only to rape said abused women.

I was under the impression that it was an escapist film made for teenage boys who play a lot of video games. lol But if you gentleman enjoyed it, perhaps I will have to watch it someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24