Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
Suckerpunch. Not a film for everyone, but I loved it. Great story, lovely punchline. Perfect ending. Some great period visuals too, as many of the fantasy sequences are set in a 30s-style nightclub.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Prestige (1932) with Ann Harding top billed above the title, and Adolphe Menjou and Melvyn Douglas, dir. Tay Garnet, who supplied additional plot. French captain sent to Indochina to run a military penal outpost. Apparently he's the only European for several hundred miles, as all the troops are Vietnamese, with, inexplicably, a couple of African laborers on the post. Harding, his fiancee, travels from Paris to be with him. Trouble ensues, as the climate, jungle, and strain wears on Douglas, while Harding maintains the helpful, encouaging wife routine. Menjou, without giving away the plot, is a suave cad. The ending is, IMO, unresolved.
The most disturbing aspect is the bigotry running throughout the film. All the Asian and African characters are basically held in check by some sort of fear of Douglas. Even the title refers to a remark made to Harding before she leaves Paris, about the "white man's prestige" having to be upheld at all cost. This is very much a product of its time.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
The Robert Mitchum version of the Big Sleep. It is an interesting version pretty faithful to the story but remarkable with the number of stars that are in it. As a 70's version it is not bad.

I watched that, but it was hard seeing it set in London. I liked the other Marlowe movie he did, Farewell My Lovely. It was set in the 1940's and even had a young Stalone in it.

Regards

Kirk H

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I just finished watching "The Wooden Horse", the 1950 WWII POW-camp escape-film.

I haven't seen this thing in nearly ten years. It's one of my favourite movies.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Edward - Notes on Excalibur, which I saw back in its theatrical run (and once or twice since).

Did you spot Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne, and Patrick Stewart? All have some of their earliest theatrical film roles in it.

I recall thinking that though set in the mythic past, the production design was futuristic rather than historical. The armor in particular. It looks great, but not remotely realistic.

This was the film that established the use of "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana as THE music for medieval/mythological battle scenes. It has since become an enormous cliche, especially when used for battle scenes in trailers before a film's score is available!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Orff's_O_Fortuna_in_popular_culture

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OminousLatinChanting

All in all, a very interesting take on "The Matter of Britain". (For a uniquely different approach, I also highly recommend the not-bad 2001 miniseries of Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon - or the even better novel.)

Masked Marvel

New in Town
The%20Raid.jpg

I just watched The Raid with Van Heflin last night....

Edward - Notes on Excalibur, which I saw back in its theatrical run (and once or twice since). I recall thinking that though set in the mythic past, the production design was futuristic rather than historical. The armor in particular. It looks great, but not remotely realistic. This was the film that established the use of "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana as THE music for edieval/mythological battle scenes. It has since become an enormous cliche, especially when used for battle scenes in trailers before a film's score is available!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Orff's_O_Fortuna_in_popular_culture
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OminousLatinChanting
All in all, a very interesting take on "The Matter of Britain". (For a uniquely different approach, I also highly recommend the not-bad 2001 miniseries of Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon - or the even better novel.)

There is a program they show on PBS out here that had a fine episode on the Arthur myth that looked at the various sources for the stories that come together to make the various modern versions.

http://www.pbs.org/mythsandheroes/program_filmmakers.html

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Someone suggested "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" on the Lounge over the past few days. I obtained a copy and it is veeery funny.

It's even filmed in Detecto-Vision!

389px-Deadmenplaidposter.jpg
SPW4922, I am glad you enjoyed it. It is very funny ,but at the same time it pays tribute to the movies of the golden era.

Regards

Kirk H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic