Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Last night, I watched Giant, 1956, starring James Dean, Rock Hudson, and Elizabeth Taylor. It was a great film, definitely an epic (it was three hours and twenty minutes too). I think of the James Dean performances I've seen, East of Eden was his best. It is, in recent years, one of the few select films that have actually made me cry a little bit, particularly the extremely emotional ending. It probably helped that it was 2:00 AM when I had finished it though... I saw East of Eden for a film class, and I ended up being captivated by the story, kind of a biblical parallel in ways. Giant had lots of classic cattlemen's creased Stetson and Resistol hats though, including a few Open Roads.

Last night, I watched Giant, 1956, starring James Dean, Rock Hudson, and Elizabeth Taylor. It was a great film, definitely an epic (it was three hours and twenty minutes too). I think of the James Dean performances I've seen, East of Eden was his best. It is, in recent years, one of the few select films that have actually made me cry a little bit, particularly the extremely emotional ending. It probably helped that it was 2:00 AM when I had finished it though... I saw East of Eden for a film class, and I ended up being captivated by the story, kind of a biblical parallel in ways. Giant had lots of classic cattlemen's creased Stetson and Resistol hats though, including a few Open Roads.

Giant: Good film to watch, especially with the recent passing of Elizabeth Taylor.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
To star, I'd prefer an unknown who can completely become Bond. Direction.... I'd like to see Tarantino, Scorsese, Peter Jackson (who I've decided to forgive for The Lovely Bones), and Burton all get a crack at it. For the writer.... any decent screen adaptor who can keep it true to the books.

It occurs to me it cold work as a big budget TV show as well, following the Mad Men mould. The stories could be compressed to an hour, maybe, at a push, ninety minute episodes.

I remember it being particularly Austin Powers. The speedboat chase?

Tarantino is actually on record as saying he would love to direct a Bond film. I don't quite understand why they aren't biting his arm off.

Have you been listening to any of the Radio 4 adaptations with Toby Stephens? They have been pretty good.

Live and Let Die was pretty dreadful. And I fear that it is probably one of the better Moore outings.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
The Bat Whispers (1930) - loved it!
X
BD
The_Bat_Whispers-485297160-large.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Tarantino is actually on record as saying he would love to direct a Bond film. I don't quite understand why they aren't biting his arm off.

So I hear, and I agree entirely with you on this. It's the sort of kick in the pants they need to pull in a new generation. It might, for the first time in at least a generation, make a new Bond film into an event, instead of an also-ran.

Have you been listening to any of the Radio 4 adaptations with Toby Stephens? They have been pretty good.

No, I wasn't aware of those - I should check out iPlayer.

Live and Let Die was pretty dreadful. And I fear that it is probably one of the better Moore outings.

Yes, quite. The Moore films are beyond self-parody, but wholly unconsciously so.

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
"Where Eagles Dare" (1968), the first war film I saw. As a kid, I can remember going to the cinema to watch it, with my dad, albeit I was way too young, and he helped sneak me in!

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy........!"

Danny O

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Aaaaaannnd The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Had not seen this in a couple of decades. Amazingly good. Bogie in a beard, ragged clothes, panhandling, dust caked and grime smeared features, paranoia wracked, the polar opposite of Rick Blaine, yet he sells it completely. Wotta movie...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sucker Punch. Not as bad as you've been hearing, but certainly not good either. It's not really a film, it's more of a thing.
Catch a matinee, sit back and watch.

JPH

Familiar Face
"Pardon My Sarong" (1942) Critics panned it, public loved it. It was the second highest grossing movie of '42, only losing out to "Mrs. Miniver."

Joseph
To this day, there are still members of the industry who refuse to believe that escapism has anything to do with why people go to see movies. Go figure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes