Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Les Misérables - with Gerard Depardieu & John Malkovich (who I find hard to watch - he gives me the creeps). This is a tv miniseries of Les Mis and it reminded me of something you would watch on BBC1 on a Sunday evening - strangely comforting and familiar. It has a heavyweight cast but seems a little staged from time to time and the dialogue seems to have been juiced up a little to appeal to young viewers (I don't imagine Victor Hugo had anyone say "damned juicy" in his novel....). I think as tv movies go the 1978 version with Anthony Perkins and Richard Jordan is the superior version.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Les Misérables - I think as tv movies go the 1978 version with Anthony Perkins and Richard Jordan is the superior version.

I would like to see this; though not an Anthony Perkins fan by any means.
A gal pal-former actress-and huge fan of Hugo can recite whole passages of Valjean's dialogue but I don't believe she has seen this version, so I'll try to find a CD.
Thanks for the tip. :)

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Last night I watched Decasia. I loved it. Hypnotizing! Although I think it's sad, I do have a serious love for decaying film. It's created it's own accidental beauty. It's haunting and ghostly. Interesting film to watch.

222127_10150164177149164_624014163_6724611_5927349_n.jpg

I thought it would give me a good spook, since I watched it at 1am last night, but it didn't. I was only scared of the closeup of the caterpillar thing. *cringe* Terrified of catertpillars :(

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I watched Doctor Zhivago (1965) last night, I liked it! :D

Poster-Doctor-Zhivago_17-600x473.jpg

I vaguely remember seeing it once, when I was a kid... Doctor Zhivago, that's a name I do remember. I may have to revisit this film again.

Also, last night I watched Dr. No (1962), the first official James Bond film:

Dr.%20No.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Lion of the Desert with Anthony Quinn about Omar Mukhtar leading resistance to the Italian colonization of Libya in the early 30's, an excellent film.

Yes, enjoyed that one, even if it was slanted to the Libyan side...

Last night I finally saw The Crooked Way (released 1949) with John Payne, Sonny Tufts, and Ellen Drew. It had a classic Noir plot: WWII vet Eddie Rice suffers from amnesia, returns to Los Angeles (where he's told he enlisted) to find out who he is/was, discovers that he is actually Eddie Riccardi, a gangster who enlisted in the Army to get away from the thugs of the partner he helped to send up the river, and that he was previously married to the woman who is now working for his recently-released-from-jail former partner...Sound confusing? It really wasn't, and to greatly help it along was the top-notch cinematography of maestro John Alton. John Payne, who is one of my favorite actors trained as a singer and/or hoofer who made a niche for himself in crime films (the other two being Dick Powell and Dana Andrews), is not as sure of himself in this film as he would be in Kansas City Confidential three years later. When he tries to be tough, he can only sustain it for a while, and then starts to soften a bit. (Of course, maybe the director had a hand in this.) Still, he's enjoyable (is that the right word to use?) in the role, even if Sonny Tufts as his ex-partner dominates just about every scene he's in, with a 2-dimensional character that exudes controlled rage. Ellen Drew's character was hard to figure out, as regards her motivation at times; I liked her much more in Johnny' O'Clock three years earlier with Dick Powell. At any rate, the scenes of Union Station at the beginning of the film were great, and the shoot-out at the end kept my interest.

Last edited:

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
The Funeral- starring a host of great actors. Christopher Walken, Chris Penn, Isabella Rossalini, Vincent Gallo, Gretchen Moll....many others. Depressing but well directed story of two men who must deal with the murder of their brother.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Nothing Sacred (1937) I wanted to like it, but I just didn't. It didn't seem to me that there was much chemistry between Fredric March and Carole Lombard [huh]

There's just something about those two I never really liked. I dunno. They are ok. I won't turn off a movie if Fred and/or Carole is in it, but they aren't my favourites. They are no Allen Jenkins and Jean Harlow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24