Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
while I was finishing up watching last week's Castle episode on the computer, my two teens put on the VHS tape to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's on the television. Our dvd player died and so we're pulling out older VHS tapes to watch.

Edward

Bartender
while I was finishing up watching last week's Castle episode on the computer, my two teens put on the VHS tape to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's on the television. Our dvd player died and so we're pulling out older VHS tapes to watch.

For the most part I love that film - it's interesting how they took a story set in the late Forties and adapted it for the (then) present day. Such a shame they ruined the ending! :(

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Same here James. If you have it on DVD, listen to Mel Brooks' monologue on the movie. The sheriff was SUPPOSED to be Richard Pryor. Mel also wanted John Wayne for the Waco Kid.

Later

Hi

Same here James. If you have it on DVD, listen to Mel Brooks' monologue on the movie. The sheriff was SUPPOSED to be Richard Pryor. Mel also wanted John Wayne for the Waco Kid.

Later

John Wayne and Richard Pryor! That would have been GREAT! I could just imagine how the line up of crooks scene would have been. :rofl: I knew about Richard Pryor but not John Wayne.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi James

I love Mel Brooks stuff, he rolls over EVERY cliche, stereotype, and taboo known and usually in a PG-13 movie. Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, History of the World Part I, and Robin Hood, Men in Tights. I'm glad that Cleavon Little did the part of Sheriff Bart, he had such a calm and semi-believable way of reacting to all of the weird stuff going on. I think that John Wayne would have been out of place as the Waco Kid, but that other rough tough stars could have pulled it off. On the other hand, Ward Bond had already passed away. Strother Martin would have been interesting as would William Holden, Ben Johnson, and Bo Hopkins. Harvey Korman is a great part of most Mel Brooks movies, Headley Lamar and Count De Money

I just ordered 4 John Wayne DVDs from amazon, and they're showing up tonight. The Searchers, the War Wagon, The Train Robbers, and McLintock. I've seen both the War Wagon and McLintock a few times on TV, but like the whole idea of no commercials.

Hi James

I love Mel Brooks stuff, he rolls over EVERY cliche, stereotype, and taboo known and usually in a PG-13 movie. Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, History of the World Part I, and Robin Hood, Men in Tights. I'm glad that Cleavon Little did the part of Sheriff Bart, he had such a calm and semi-believable way of reacting to all of the weird stuff going on. I think that John Wayne would have been out of place as the Waco Kid, but that other rough tough stars could have pulled it off. On the other hand, Ward Bond had already passed away. Strother Martin would have been interesting as would William Holden, Ben Johnson, and Bo Hopkins. Harvey Korman is a great part of most Mel Brooks movies, Headley Lamar and Count De Money

I just ordered 4 John Wayne DVDs from amazon, and they're showing up tonight. The Searchers, the War Wagon, The Train Robbers, and McLintock. I've seen both the War Wagon and McLintock a few times on TV, but like the whole idea of no commercials.

I would have loved to see Wayne pull his gun and shoot the guns out of all those guys hands though. That scene would have been perfect for him.
McLintock is one of my favorites as well. Add Rio Bravo and you have two really good ones. I'll even sit through the remake---El Dorado. :p

DNO

One Too Many
I love that movie and Kipling. ;0

Hard to believe it never won any award. Both Caine and Connery felt it was one of the best they ever did. It took John Huston about 20 years to get it onto film. When he first tried to make it, he wanted to cast Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable as Daniel and Peachy. Would have made an interesting movie!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Finished up the film I Love Trouble (Columbia, 1948), with Franchot Tone, Janet Blair, Janis Carter, Tom Powers, John Ireland, Raymond Burr, and Eduardo Ciannelli. It was based on Roy Huggin's novel (which I finished just after watching the movie), The Double Take, and while the book is better, the film has the advantage of a great cast, and a better ending.

Just watched Calcutta (Paramount, 1945, released 1947), with Alan Ladd, William Bendix, June Duprez, and Gail Russell. Enjoyable enough, but with little "action" and an unrealistic backlot depiction of wartime Calcutta. Miss Russell was fine to look at (as was Miss Duprez), but couldn't act her way out of box. The lack of a formidable heavy was also a detriment.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
The Man Who Would Be King.

The greatest 'buddies-on-the-road' movie ever made.
I heartily agree. This is a great movie.

Hard to believe it never won any award. Both Caine and Connery felt it was one of the best they ever did. It took John Huston about 20 years to get it onto film. When he first tried to make it, he wanted to cast Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable as Daniel and Peachy. Would have made an interesting movie!

Bogey and Gable would have made an interesting cast for this story.

Did anyone else ever see a Making-Of for this film or did I imagine it?
One point I remember is Connery doing his own falling stunt off the bridge. He dropped into a huge pile of cardboard boxes to break his fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic