Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I watched the Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers with Raquel Welch and Michael York with my 24 year old son this weekend. Both use a lot of scenes from the book. You could make 10 movies from that book and not duplicate much.

later

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Excellent film, with great performances by Ford, Scourby, Marvin, and Graham, as well as a great cameo by Carolyn Jones. Have you ever seen Framed with Glenn Ford? The latter plays a brash, disillusioned drifter caught accused of a crime he had nothing to do with (what else is new?)

I resent them using my life as the basis of a film without my consent.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I resent them using my life as the basis of a film without my consent.

Don't incriminate yourself, Wally...lol

Just finished Thieves' Market (1949, Fox), directed by Jules Dassin, written by A. I. Bezzerides, and featuring Richard Conte, Lee J. Cobb, Valentina Cortesa (a.k.a. Cortese), and Jack Okie. Conte plays Nick Garcos, a recently-discharged Navy vet who comes home to southern California to learn that his fruit trucker-father was in an "accident" which cost him not only the money he had made on a haul, but his legs as well. Nick goes on to sell a load of fruit to the same man his father sold to, Mike Figlia (Cobb), and later gets beaten and robbed for his trouble by the latter's henchmen. In between-time, Rica (Cortesa), a sexy Italian "goodtime girl," shelters Garco in her apartment and begins to fall for him. It is after he gets robbed that Garcos learns that Figlia was responsible for his father's accident...and then the former goes to town...

Quotes:

Garcos- "You're French."
Rica- "Uh, um. I'm Italian..."
Garcos- "Oh. I went swimming in Italy once."
Rica- "Yes? Where?"
Garcos- "A beach. Place called Anzio."
Rica- "Oh."

Rica (speaking derisively of Garcos' fiancee)- "Tell me, does she have pigtails down to here?"
Garcos- "You know? Italian...American...A cat's a cat."

Last edited:

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Just finished Thieves' Market (1949, Fox), directed by Jules Dassin, written by A. I. Bezzerides, and featuring Richard Conte, Lee J. Cobb, Valentina Cortesa (a.k.a. Cortese), and Jack Okie

Don't you mean Thieve's Highway? That's one of Dassins best movies (though I like Rififi better). I think it was the last movie he made in the US before he was blacklisted.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
J. Edgar (2011)

Beautifully shot, expensively propertied, and stiff and shoddy in almost every other respect. Such is the gold standard for historical pictures in our day, but Clint Eastwood's heavy hand is evident in every second of J. Edgar. He pulls every punch he can get away with, perhaps because he reveres Hoover more than his audience does, and knows it. Leo DiCaprio apparently got his accent from Frank Langella's Nixon plus anyone who ever played a Kennedy. The air of stagey tension in every scene never varies or goes away. Deliberately underlit in Every. Freaking. Shot. Almost every car used is a Model A Ford.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
J. Edgar (2011)

Beautifully shot, expensively propertied, and stiff and shoddy in almost every other respect. Such is the gold standard for historical pictures in our day, but Clint Eastwood's heavy hand is evident in every second of J. Edgar. He pulls every punch he can get away with, perhaps because he reveres Hoover more than his audience does, and knows it. Leo DiCaprio apparently got his accent from Frank Langella's Nixon plus anyone who ever played a Kennedy. The air of stagey tension in every scene never varies or goes away. Deliberately underlit in Every. Freaking. Shot. Almost every car used is a Model A Ford.

Wow, what an indictment. And I was planning on seeing it...Almost every car used is a Model A Ford? (And that's a bad thing? lol)

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Saw the remastered 1927 silent movie "Wings" (with about 300 other fans) at the Stanford Theatre last night. Their organist, Dennis James, just blew me away with his masterful musical accompaniment to the over-2 1/2-hour movie, and even though this word is so overused, his talent rates no less than "amazing!" The film drew more of a crowd than the theatre expected, so the start was delayed in order for everyone to get in and during that time, Mr. James treated the audience to little bits of trivia about the movie and actors - things from his personal experience. It was a great experience, a thrilling movie that moved many around me to a shed a few tears.

Dubya

One of the Regulars
I saw this in its stage play version, here in Los Angeles. I had seen it advertised in San Francisco when I would visit family there for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and so on. When the show played locally I managed to venture into wildest uncharted LA to catch it. Saw it on the big screen at the Balboa Theatre in (where else?) Balboa.

What did you think of it mate? Does the humour 'travel well'?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran