Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Red River" - In my opinion the finest western ever made. Howard Hawks, John Wayne at the top of their games. Movie all but stolen by Walter Brennan and young (first feature film) Montgomery Clift. Great film.

Worf

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
"Smokin Aces" a few nights back, for the third or fourth time. One of my favourite movies. This time I watched the extras on the DVD and there is short interview with the writer/director who was talking about how he insisted on having action scenes in the same frame without cuts. For example, he made sure that when someone was shot both the shooter and the victim were in view at the same time and the victim was set up to show the impact of being shot, instead of filming the shooter then cutting to a film of the victim. He said you can't reproduce that sort of realism with computer effects, so he does it with old school special effects (real guns, squibs, etc.). He sai (paraphrasing) "Other directors keep doing movies with lots of computer effects, and to their credit they keep trying to get them to look right. But, we keep getting a lot of sh*tty movies."

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
TCM, possibly in honor of Gay Pride Day, showed a couple of films featuring forgotten actor Ross Alexander a couple nights ago. He was a talented light comedy lead, and seemed to have a great future in front of him. But he was gay. To make a long story short, after a short "camouflage" marriage, which resulted in his wife's suicide, he also killed himslef at the age of 29, in 1937. Tragic, and so unnecessary. They showed 4 of his films, of which I saw 2: China Clipper, which was a very melodramatic B (let's call it B+) story paralleling (and even using the corporate logo) of Pan American Airlines. They had a lot of great flying footage of the classic flying boats of the era. Fun.
Then they showed his last film, a musical called Ready, Willing and Able, which also featured Ruby Keeler and Lee Dixon. All three of these leads were soon out of show business. Ruby Keeler retired 4 years later. Lee Dixon had the lead on Broadway in the original production of Oklahoma, and you can see why he was great for the part. But his career went down the toilet soon after. Fun film, featuring the big hit by Richard Whiting and Johnny Mercer, Too Marvellous for Words.

Last edited:

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
I just watched The Artist, thought it was wonderful, I never got a chance to see it in the theater for one reason or another so was glad to see it tonight.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Attack The Block, again. Not a FL film by any means but very funny and the aliens are brilliant in it. I also used to live around the corner from where it was filmed. We moved when we had kids!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Attack The Block, again. Not a FL film by any means but very funny and the aliens are brilliant in it. I also used to live around the corner from where it was filmed. We moved when we had kids!
Great underated British SciFi film. Having grown up in "The Projects" of NYC (what the Brits call "Council Estates" I believe) I always wondered what would've happened if E.T. had landed his scrawny butt in MY backyard instead of the suburbs. This movie kinda answers that question. Except there were/are a LOT more guns in the Projects I grew up in. Still in all I loved the flick.

Worf

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
And Hawks did not often venture into sentimentality, like John Ford often (usually) did...
But I was/am always a sucker for Ford's sentimentality though... and I"m not even Irish! I admire both directors immensely. Still I think Wayne does his best "acting" away from Ford. In "Red River" and "In Harms Way", directed by Hawks and Premminger respectively I believe Wayne gives subtle and nuanced performances that belie the bluster and bravado of most of his roles. At lieast in my humble opinion.

Worf

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Great underated British SciFi film. Having grown up in "The Projects" of NYC (what the Brits call "Council Estates" I believe) I always wondered what would've happened if E.T. had landed his scrawny butt in MY backyard instead of the suburbs. This movie kinda answers that question. Except there were/are a LOT more guns in the Projects I grew up in. Still in all I loved the flick.

Worf

I really liked that the kids really arn't very sympathetic at all, but you do 'get' where they are coming from. The aliens are waaay cooler than E.T. though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran