Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Damon-Bourne-Identity.jpg

Very good choice.
:D

wsc

New in Town
Just finished watching Peter Jackson's King Kong for the fourth or fifth time and lord what a great movie. A real tip of the fedora to the original but with enough changes to the story and added action to make me not wonder why they bothered. The only remake worth it's salt that comes to mind, as opposed to Vince Vaughn's Psycho remake that still makes me scream "Why Hollywood!"

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Seraphim Falls
Underrated film. Great western.

Yes I really enjoyed that one until the end got too strange out in the desert.

I have a soft-spot for unconventional westerns, or as a friend used to say "Historical Films set in the West rather than Western," I enjoyed The Claim as well.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
GoodFellas

TOMMY: I like this one. One dog goes one way and the other goes the other.

MOTHER: One's going east, the other’s going west. So what?

TOMMY: And this guy's saying, "Whaddya want from me?" The guy's got a nice head of white hair. Beautiful. The dog it looks the same.

JIMMY: Looks like somebody we know.

TOMMY: Without the beard! Oh no, it's him! It's him

Classic. :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Screening an odd, minimalist documentary called "Leviathan." It's nothing but 88 minutes of uncompromising footage shot on board a commercial fishing boat in the North Atlantic -- no narration, no dialogue, no technique of any kind. You are not told who the men are, or what they're doing, or why they're doing it, or anything else.

And I find this extremely refreshing compared to the usual pretentious documentaries which approach the lives of working-class people as something to be studied or explained or fetishized as The Romantic Other. This film doesn't give you any of that. What it does give you is all the brutal, bloody, grotesque, numbing tedium a working fisherman faces every day of his life. And if you can't take it, well, you're free to walk out. They aren't.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Exit Humanity

A civil war era zombie film. I had thought this was just going to be a mindless slasher flick to play in the background while I got some work done around the house. I ended up spending 90 minutes unmoving in front of the screen. This was a wonderful fantasy character study. Recommended to anyone interested in the genre.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) I came away with the same feelings I had upon seeing 'The Wizard Of Oz' as a child!... it is magical! You just have to love Finley the monkey and the precious little 'China Girl'... she is just so cute. And kudos to Mila Kunis (the voice of 'Meg' on 'Family Guy'); the best person to play the 'Wicked Witch Of The West' since Margaret Hamilton. I hope kids will be watching this version 74 years from now (2087!)

-dixon cannon

Last edited:

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) I came away with the same feelings I had upon seeing 'The Wizard Of Oz' as a child!... it is magical! You just have to love Finley the monkey and the precious little 'China Girl'... she is just so cute. And kudos to Mila Kunis (the voice of 'Meg' on 'Family Guy'); the best person to play the 'Wicked Witch Of The West' since Margaret Hamilton. I hope kids will be watching this version 74 years from now (2087!)

-dixon cannon

Looking forward to seeing this... pleased to hear its a good movie.

I was feeling ill a couple of days ago, so had a day of watching 'The Remains Of The Day' followed by 'Howard's End' and finished off 'A Room With A View' - three fine Merchant Ivory films, that are all great to watch when you're feeling down, especially 'A Room With A View' with its stunning settings.

Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) I came away with the same feelings I had upon seeing 'The Wizard Of Oz' as a child!... it is magical! You just have to love Finley the monkey and the precious little 'China Girl'... she is just so cute. And kudos to Mila Kunis (the voice of 'Meg' on 'Family Guy'); the best person to play the 'Wicked Witch Of The West' since Margaret Hamilton. I hope kids will be watching this version 74 years from now (2087!) -dixon cannon
Saw it again yesterday (in 3D) and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Purists are going to hammer it. Too bad, it was enjoyable and beautifully done. James Franco did a great job as a smarmy Oz, IMO. I intentionally don't look at reviews any more before movies. Tired of windbags telling us what they think OS good/bad. Then, we saw the new Robert Redford movie - "The Company You Keep". Really liked it. Seems stories from the 70's era are all the rage, and this one was good, but not as exciting as Argo. Redford is still a viable presence on the screen.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Saw the trailer for Oz and it looks spectacular. Must see it. I wonder if it sticks closer to the book(s) than the 1939 classic? As I recall, in the book there was more background information about the various races that inhabited Oz, of which there were several that were not even mentioned in the movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic