Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Between Midnight and Dawn (1950, Columbia), with Mark Stevens, Edmund O'Brien, and Gale Storm. Stevens and O'Brien together! Didn't even know this film existed until as of late. Sort of a police procedurial, with Stevens and O'Brien playing buddy cops who also served in the war together, vying for the same young lady (Storm), whose father was a cop killed in the line of duty. Unusual for a film of this time, one of the principals is actually killed off...Nothing great, but enjoyable none-the-less.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Oz, the Great and Powerful. Fun and very well done regarding references to the 1939 film, and some good writing with some plot "echoes" (i.e., the little girl in the carnival and the China Girl, etc.) Good rental, but I wouldn't want to own it. What if this material was produced by Burton & Depp...

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Dogma. Man, what a weird movie! Still, glad i made it to the end. Who new, God is a woman, that would account for a lot of things in my life.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Dogma is underrated. It's my favorite Kevin Smith movie besides the awesome Chasing Amy.

I watched Woody Allen's 2012 flick To Rome With Love. Now understand, I've been a staunch fan of Woody for over 40 years... But this one is a stinker - a real contender for his worst film. All four unrelated stories were lame, the excellent cast was wasted, most of the jokes didn't land, Woody's own performance was embarrassing, and the whole thing felt lazy and tossed off. It exhibited all the weaknesses of his late work (notably the dependence on magical realism/pure coincidence in place of nuanced writing and a well-structured story) and none of the strengths (e.g., having the mature wisdom to recognize that believing things were better in past is foolish, as in Midnight In Paris). This one makes some of his poorly received recent films (Anything Else, Scoop, Cassandra's Dream, Whatever Works, etc.) seem like masterworks! About the only good thing I can say about it is that Rome is beautifully photographed...

Maybe it's time for Woody to slow down and really work on his scripts, and admit that the punishing picture-a-year-no-matter-what schedule isn't working anymore!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR