Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Recently saw Desert Fury (1947, Paramount), with John Hodiak, Lizabeth Scott, Burt Lancaster, Mary Astor, and Wendell Corey. Perhaps the most daring Film Noir ever made, as regards the sexual ambiguity of four of the lead characters (see Muller's book Dark City for more on this). Beautifully shot in Technicolor, everybody dresses fashionably for the desert, and Lizabeth Scott looks like a million bucks. The ending speech by Corey (in his film debut) especially reveals the emotional/psychological "dynamics" between his and Hodiak's character.

Today watched Adventure in Manhattan (1936, Columbia), with Joel McCrae, Jean Arthur, Reginald Owen, and Thomas Mitchell. Good cast, especially Arthur (and why isn't there more interest shown these days for this talented lady?), but McCrae's character was a bit too unbelievable (he's a "psychic" news reporter who is also flawless at billiards). There were a couple of twists, though, and some bits of clever dialogue that helped make it an enjoyable view, especially for a Columbia picture at that time...

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The Sessions - B - Good to great film. Based on real life... no Hollywood ending, real characters, surprise cameo's and real, heart rending, nuanced by God acting. Helen Hunt was amazing in this role. That she took so physically demanding a role at this stage of her career speaks volumes on her. John Hawkes as the principal lead was good as was W.H. Macy as the kind of priest we all wish we had. Rent it if you havent.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
Watched a few films over the past few days, having been travelling.

The Hobbit (for the fourth time; wonderful), Cloud Atlas (quite liked it, reminded me of that Japanese film, The Age of the Fish, but with a broader timeline), and Megamind (featuring simultaneously the best parody of Superman, at once viciously and affectionately accurate, I have ever seen, and the most outstanding Brando impression. I'd recommend it for the Brando impression alone.

Also saw World War Z. Allowing for my being rather a fan of the genre (this will eventually be added to my collection of 80+ zombie themed DVDs), I still believe the critics have been unduly harsh. It lacks a certain tension borne of the simple fact that one cannot imagine Hollywood killing off its leading man (Psycho, and the homage to the same in Scream being the exceptions that prove the rule.... along with, perhaps, Gene Hackman in The Poseiden Adventure). Nonetheless, a nice effort, which follows just enough of the conventions of the genre to work. I don't share the disdain some have towards fast-moving zombies (although I did write a letter of complaint to one national newspaper over, among other things, its absurdly ignorant claim that 28 Days Later invented that type in 2002; it was The Return of the Living Dead, in 1985, in reality). I did love the sequences of zombies piling up like ants against high walls. Interesting effort at building a narrative around the book - itself a collection of accounts of a zombie war which has passed - written statements, transcripts of oral interviews, and the likes.

Watched Lincoln on the plane ride yesterday. I thought it was pretty good.

I might give it another go on the plane on the way home at the weekend. Saw it in February.... I liked it, but I just know it should, by all laws of nature, be mawkish, sentimentalist trash.... but then every so often even Spielberg puts out a good one.... (monkeys / typewriters / Shakespeare).

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Saw 1982's "Hammett" last night on Netflix. I wasn't even aware of this film until I just happened across it while browsing the titles. Pretty good job of recreating that detective noir atmosphere. An enjoyable watch.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
A while back it was Death Drums on the River (1963) a remake of Sanders of the River, with Richard Todd. The drums were heard only once, and weren't connected to the main point of the plot. Not to be confused with Drums Over Malta. Then it was Monkey Business with Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers and People Will Talk, another Grant starrer, over the last couple of nights.

It's been John Wayne the past couple of nights on AMC. The Shootist is too sad of a movie for me. Any time John Wayne dies......... I cannot watch. Right now its The Sons of Katie Elder.
:D

The key to the Shootist for me was the well played characters,script,dialog and setting. Bacall was quite excellent,of course. IMO Wayne's best movie. No corniness..just straight acting with a down to earth message in practically every scene.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24