Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Over the past week or so my wife and I watched Casablanca and Teacher's Pet (1958, dir. George Seaton of Miracle on 34th Street fame) starring Clark Gable and Doris Day, and enjoyed them a lot. In both pictures nobody used profanity and everybody kept their clothes on. The Bongo Club sequence with Mamie Van Doren doing a musical number with some oomph in it was the closest thing to...ah... risque or naughty, and even then there were quite a few cuts to shots of Gable, Day, and Gig Young at a table reacting to the floor show; think of a simultaneous cymbal crash and bass drum thump and the actors jumping as though hit by a sound wave. (It's funnier if you watch the movie)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Trouble With The Curve on HBO. Okay, but very predictible, and with a surprisingly weak performance by Clint Eastwood. Salvaged by Amy Adams (who has more screentime than Eastwood) giving her typically layered and charming performance as Eastwood's conflicted daughter.

It would make a good double feature with Moneyball... though (because?) it makes exactly the opposite argument, that human intuition is better than sophisticated stats analysis software.

I thought that movie was a hoot and quite underated. I'm glad they didn't do the "conventional turn" and have the Cheadle being the reincarnation of Eddie Murphy from his "cop buddy" heyday. Good solid flick.

Worf

I really like Cheadle and Gleeson. It hasn't got hype around here, but it was big in Ireland. If you haven't seen it, Gleeson was really good in "In Bruges."
:D

This was one of the last movies Republic released, and the last of the Shadow films. It actually had been intended as a TV pilot, but got re-directed to the theaters. What did you think of it?

I liked it. It wasn't the Shadow we know today through the Baldwin thing but it had its own vibe. Lamont Cranston still clouds the minds of criminals but his thing is going invisible on the crooks so they can't shoot him or touch him. The haunting laugh is in full play too. I have another in the series to watch tomorrow evening. :D
I also saw an episode of your favorite childhood show Clutch Cargo too. :p

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Two Thousand Women' about an internment camp for British women in France during WW2.
The cast is a who's who of British cinema at the time: Phyllis Calvert, Jean Kent, Patricia Roc, Anne Crawford.
Two+Thousand+Women+Daywear+2.jpg

At one point there's a group of women in a truck: a journalist, two spinsters, a stripper and a nun.
It sounds like the start of a joke!

We haven't seen that yet. They do enjoy some cartoons from my childhood, mostly classic cartoons.
And we watch the muppets before they became overt political tools, so from July 1-3, 1985. Lol
My boys don't know any Sesame Street characters, but they do know Mr. Rogers.

Well, Clutch was from 1959 onward so it isn't exactly something I saw first time around either. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana