Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
Rewatched Cabin in the Woods yesterday. I actually enjoyed the ending far more than I remembered from the cinema. On SAturday, I finally saw Mrs Henderson Presents, which is superb. Too ka few minutes to adjust to Bob Hoskins not being a Cockernee, mind... ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Pacific Rim, just want you expect and want out of it: big, dumb, robot vs. monster smashing fun! Just like a live action anime or updated Godzilla/Ultraman show.
Also did I mention there is a cute Rinko Kikuchi who kicks ass in it? If you grew up on Godzilla movies,* what more could you want in a film ;) "Big-O, Action!"

rinko-kikuchi-pacific-rim-1.jpeg

* When in second grade we had to write a paper about what you wanted to be when you grew up I wrote my paper on wanting to be the guy in the Godzilla outfit who got to destroy cities and beat up other monsters...
My sentiments exactly. I loved the movie for what it was, great Saturday night, popcorn munching, mindless entertainment. Lots of visual references to "Gigantor", "Big-O" and a thousand other Japanese cartoon and anime fixtures. You could've done a lot worse.

Worf

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Watched Hells Half Acre and the Expendables 2. First one was a great Noir classic from 1954. The Expendables 2 was great. All the big action stars making fun of themselves was funny.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Just watched In a Lonely Place and now The Big Sleep is just about to start on TCM

You know there are two versions of The Big Sleep. 1946 & 1945 with some scenes added & some deleted.
I love the extended version where Bogey is searching for clues around the house while the sister is all doped up !

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
To me the original 1945 cut of The Big Sleep is a far better movie.

In those days when investigating a blackmail case the police did everything they could to protect the victim from exposure. This explains why Detective Ohs thought it more discreet for Sternwood to hire a private detective, to keep the case off the police blotter and why Marlowe went to such lengths to hush things up. I'm afraid without that background knowledge the film wouldn't make much sense to a modern audience.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
To me the original 1945 cut of The Big Sleep is a far better movie.

In those days when investigating a blackmail case the police did everything they could to protect the victim from exposure. This explains why Detective Ohs thought it more discreet for Sternwood to hire a private detective, to keep the case off the police blotter and why Marlowe went to such lengths to hush things up. I'm afraid without that background knowledge the film wouldn't make much sense to a modern audience.

Thanks for the input.

Also, I noticed that when Bogart gets in the car to drive the Sternwood girl back to her mansion. Bogart looks
straight at the camera, sort of annoyed that we are looking in on his activities. Only Bogie could get away
with this. Well, perhaps maybe Oliver Hardy, but he did it for laughs !
I would like to here your take on the Maltese Falcon as well !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran