What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Amy Jeanne, Aug 5, 2007.

1. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

American Gangster with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. Very violent in places, but an amazing performance by both actors.

2. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I just saw those two too.

Did Garfield take the "shoulder shrug" move from Cagney?
    I have seen Garfield do it a couple of times.
    Technically, didn't Cagney only do it one time?

3. kowalskt63

kowalskt63 Familiar Face

Holiday (1938)

Just finished watching the 1938 gem called "Holiday".
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030241/
    Wonderful movie with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn. I highly recommend this one. The acting is top notch.

4. Patrick Murtha

Patrick Murtha Practically Family

You are becoming the master of the oddball double-bill. The strangest double-bill I ever attended was at a brew-and-view type establishment: Reservoir Dogs and A River Runs Through It, two movies that could not possibly have less in common. A friend of mine once saw a second-run double of Conan the Barbarian and The Muppets Take Manhattan.

5. Patrick Murtha

Confusing actors with presidents there... :)

Both are good films. Force of Evil is unique among noirs and almost among the American films of its time for its poeticized dialogue. (I say "almost" because the war film A Walk in the Sun tries for a somewhat similar effect with equal success.)

6. Patrick Murtha

Agreed. I just caught up with this one recently and liked it very much.

7. Justdog

Justdog Practically Family

Cagney Shrug

I would say he had that natural body language as he was a pretty tough hombre and a boxer ergo the greatness of his performance as a boxer/actor

8. Miss Brill

Miss Brill One Too Many

Night Nurse on TCM. I'm trying to get back in the movie-watching habit. I used to watch any old movie they'd show, then I started watching a few over & over.

9. Justdog

Justdog Practically Family

Garfield

Yes I said to myself John John John and I still wrote james, he hee.

10. Quigley Brown

Quigley Brown Call Me a Cab

Last night's combo: 'Alien' (I can't believe that was made way back in 1979) and 'Magnolia' (gotta watch it rain frogs).

11. kerry

kerry One of the Regulars

Hi, I watched Waterloo Bridge on TCM yesterday. For anyone in the UK 'A Matter of Life and Death' is on film four tonight. I have my chocolate and a duvet all ready:)

12. Honey Doll

Honey Doll Practically Family

The Divorcee, with Norma Shearer on TMC the other night. The also showed their documentary about pre-code Hollywood which was very interesting.

Honey Doll

13. BegintheBeguine

BegintheBeguine My Mail is Forwarded Here

I finally saw The Best Years of Our Lives.

14. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many

Last night we watched the DVD reissue of Dawn Patrol (1938) with Errol Flynn and David Niven. Great movie, but now I want one of those leather trenchcoats with a fur collar that the flyboys were wearing. Dream on...

15. Patrick Murtha

A tremendous film. I can strongly recommend the source, MacKinlay Kantor's book-length narrative poem, Glory for Me, which no one seems to bother reading. It is significantly different in many respects from the film, and more complex in its emotional weave. I don't mean that as a knock on the movie, which was made for a mass audience and thus needed to be very direct and readable in its expressions of feeling. Glory for Me is an unexplored text that partakes of the full range of subtlety of which literature is capable: a great book.

16. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

What did you think?

17. BegintheBeguine

BegintheBeguine My Mail is Forwarded Here

The Best Years of Our Lives

What I meant to type before hitting the button was that I liked it, as people said I would. I wasn't thrilled about the storyline of the cheating husband who wanted a girl who longed to live in the suburbs instead of the vivacious wife he already had, but I'm sensitive about things like that. Now I'm going to watch it again before I have to return it to the library. Oh, and I've checked out the book as well.
    Ashley

18. Patrick Murtha

I'm not sure if "vivacious" is the word I would use for the Virginia Mayo character... :)

In any case, the "cheating" by the husband doesn't progress beyond a kiss, and the wife walks out on the husband of her own volition and for her own reasons (and there's a strong suggestion that her "cheating" has gone much, much farther than his).

Those quickie wartime weddings didn't always work out so well.

19. Matt Crunk

Matt Crunk One Too Many

I just watched the original 1932 version of Scarface for the first timeon DVD. Great film. I had no idea how closely they stuck to the original storyline for De Palma's '83 remake.

20. Patrick Murtha

Moody as heck. Look for those "X" patterns everywhere!