Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

My wife and I just got back from seeing Casablanca...at a local theater, on the big screen, the way movies were meant to be seen. Even though a friend (who joined us) had given me the DVD about five years ago, this was the first time my wife and I had seen it. Great performances throughout, Ingrid Bergman is gorgeous and a brilliant actor, and Claude Rains steals every scene he's in.

My wife and I just got back from seeing Casablanca...at a local theater, on the big screen, the way movies were meant to be seen. Even though a friend (who joined us) had given me the DVD about five years ago, this was the first time my wife and I had seen it. Great performances throughout, Ingrid Bergman is gorgeous and a brilliant actor, and Claude Rains steals every scene he's in.

Zombie, I was fortunate to see it on the big screen about twenty years ago and - after having seen it on TV probably ten times to that date - I was still blown away by how much more impressive it becomes in a movie theatre. The use of shadows, lighting, architecture and camera angles are greatly enhanced on the big screen; I felt like I was watching a more intense version than the one I had come to know on TV. Even now, when I see it on TV, I can still feel some of the power of having seen it on the big screen. I'm glad you had the experience; what a great way for your wife and you to be introduced to what is a true classic.

hatguy1

One Too Many
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc

Winston Churchill - always one for a good line - got upset with Charles De Gaulle of France when they were trying to coordinate the planning of the D-Day Invasion of WW2. He stormed over to De Gaulle and stood up as far as he could into DG's face and said in a huff, "As a young student of your country's history, I never understood why they burned your Joan of Arc at the stake. Thank you for correcting my ignorance!" And stormed out.

Silly me. When I first posted this, I forgot to mention that this was in the 1980s TV miniseries "The Winds of War."

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Magnificent Obsession" - Classic Rock Hudson (you couldn't get away with a name like that now) and a great tear-jerker. I'm gettin' weepy in my dotage.

Worf

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Deception, from 1946 with Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, and Claude Rains. Somewhere in there we watched The Damned Don't Cry from 1950, with Joan Crawford, David Brian, and Steve Cochran. My wife, after years and years, has started to enjoy some of the melodramatic films from the Golden Age. She still prefers color films where people don't life such stressful, complicated lives.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Forgot to mention we watched The Breaking Point, the John Garfield version of To Have and Have Not, from 1950. Garfield's character is not likable, which made us sort of not root for him. Michael Curtiz directed; it was fun to spot the Newport Beach and Balboa locations.

Forgot to mention we watched The Breaking Point, the John Garfield version of To Have and Have Not, from 1950. Garfield's character is not likable, which made us sort of not root for him. Michael Curtiz directed; it was fun to spot the Newport Beach and Balboa locations.

I saw this on TCM in the last six months or so and was disappointed as TCM (I think it was Ben Mankiewicz) touted it as possibly better than the "To Have and Have Not" version. Garfield, who I normally enjoy, was, as you said, not likable, but in an irritating and inconsistent way. I don't remember the specifics anymore - but I thought his character's actions and choices were random as if he had no core beliefs (even to be a bad person), so I found him unbelievable (and irritating). I do remember thinking his wife and girlfriend did a good job, but the movie itself, owing to Garfield's character's pointless behavior, annoying. That said, and also as you pointed out, neat scenery and very time-travely.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"On Dangerous Ground" TCM - Decent RKO early 50's film noir directed by the great Nicholas Ray. Sigh... I'm starting to really fall in serious crushness with Ida Lupino. Not a raving beauty but a great actress, fine director and all around babe.

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen the Bee Girls movie, but I've seen it listed on Netflix.

Tonight it's a moderate rated movie, Dr. Crippen with Donald Pleasance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats