Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Finished the Japanese film Gate of Hell (1953). The story mixes 1100's Japanese history with some nearly-contemporary psychological themes of obsession. But the most fascinating thing about the film (I would say film instead of movie) is the director's amazing use of color. Without drawing attention to itself, color is used in almost geometric shapes in the way the shots are set up.

Most outstanding would be the use of semi-transparent curtains or drapes that visually divide the screen into thirds, with the actors moving half-seen from behind them and into full view; the shot of a royal carriage, gorgeously painted, that is attacked by rebels and as it lurches to a halt it fills the screen with a rectangle and circle of color; long diagonal lines of horsemen dissecting the screen; and most of all, the climatic scene where a lady-in-waiting for one of the royalty is mistakenly slain and as she lays on the floor her body creates a diagonal shape across the screen and her long hair forms a thick brush-stroke of black along the line of her color drenched robe.

Visually amazing, though a little challenging if you aren't familiar with the culture and history.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Zombie_61 said:
The Grand Budapest Hotel. If you like Wes Anderson's previous movies, you'll probably like this one; if not, I don't think this is the movie that will win you over. I enjoyed it, but ultimately felt the story took the long and winding road home.
Thanks for the review and comments. I liked all of his movies up to the Darjeeling Limited, which I thought was tepid and not up to his previous three outings, and consequently didn't bother to see Moonrise Kingdom. But I guess I should because now I'm two films behind!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Went last Saturday to opening night of the Hollywood Film Noir Festival at the Egyptian Theater, and saw a great print of Too Late for Tears, with Lizabeth Scott, Dan Duryea, Don DeFore, and Arthur Kennedy. Great shots of Westlake (MacArthur) Park, and its environs. Had seen the film years earlier, but had actually forgotten some of the plot. Excellent, even campy to a point, Noir. Second feature was Larceny, which I had never seen, with John Payne, Dan Duryea, the beautiful Joan Caulfield, and bombshell Shelly Winters. Great dialogue (much of it by William Bowers), with Winters a real stand-out. Don't want to give much away, but the ending was abrupt, not happy, but with a humorous last line. Good turn-out for the night, and a special feature was Dan Duryea's son, Richard, shedding some light on his father's personal life. (Duryea actually hid from a tour bus once, because he was dressed in work clothes and didn't want any fans to see him like that.) Interestingly enough, Richard had never seen any of his father's films when they came out (he wasn't allowed to when he was a youth), and that night was the first time he saw his father's work in a movie theater.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Two of my all time FAVES:

"Sgt. York" - Cooper and Ford team to make one of the finest bio/war pics ever made. A film with as much "heart" as heroics.. a very rare combo indeed.

"Red River" - Wayne and a young Montgomery Clift team up in, what I consider, the finest of the Golden Age Westerns. Howard Hawks does the honors this time and he does it well. Throw in Walter Brennan and the usual cast of characters and you have movie magic!!

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Went last Saturday to opening night of the Hollywood Film Noir Festival at the Egyptian Theater, and saw a great print of Too Late for Tears, with Lizabeth Scott, Dan Duryea, Don DeFore, and Arthur Kennedy. Great shots of Westlake (MacArthur) Park, and its environs. Had seen the film years earlier, but had actually forgotten some of the plot. Excellent, even campy to a point, Noir. Second feature was Larceny, which I had never seen, with John Payne, Dan Duryea, the beautiful Joan Caulfield, and bombshell Shelly Winters. Great dialogue (much of it by William Bowers), with Winters a real stand-out. Don't want to give much away, but the ending was abrupt, not happy, but with a humorous last line. Good turn-out for the night, and a special feature was Dan Duryea's son, Richard, shedding some light on his father's personal life. (Duryea actually hid from a tour bus once, because he was dressed in work clothes and didn't want any fans to see him like that.) Interestingly enough, Richard had never seen any of his father's films when they came out (he wasn't allowed to when he was a youth), and that night was the first time he saw his father's work in a movie theater.

I only have one thing to say... "lucky dog!!!!"

Worf

Wally_Hood

One Too Many

I am jealous with a capital jeal.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Major Dundee (1965), Charlton Heston, Richard Harris, James Coburn, and a bunch of familiar faces. It seems like Sam Peckinpah wanted to make a John Ford western but modernize it. It's definitely feels like a warm up for the Wild Bunch later on.

DVR'd off the Encore channel; there's a dvd out there that is an attempt at a restoration. On the disc Dundee descends into greater abasement as he simultaneously recovers from a wound and binges with tequila.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo