Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Strangers on a Train

At the Wallcast:

IMAG0024.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Went The Day Well" - Never seen it before. Decent piece of propaganda made during the war about a pre-invasion German force that takes over a small British village dressed as British Soldiers... Of course the populace eventually rises up to fight the invaders. Propaganda but fun in that, being made during the war, it discusses an invasion of England in 1942 that was repulsed and the eventual downfall of Hitler even though the question was very much in doubt at the time the movies was filmed. Worth seeing at least once. This was a TCM premiere so I doubt its been seen much over here.

Worf

"Went The Day Well" - Never seen it before. Decent piece of propaganda made during the war about a pre-invasion German force that takes over a small British village dressed as British Soldiers... Of course the populace eventually rises up to fight the invaders. Propaganda but fun in that, being made during the war, it discusses an invasion of England in 1942 that was repulsed and the eventual downfall of Hitler even though the question was very much in doubt at the time the movies was filmed. Worth seeing at least once. This was a TCM premiere so I doubt its been seen much over here.

Worf

I saw it for the first time in the last year or so - would have said on TCM (but if you just saw the premiere, then I must have seen it elsewhere - just don't remember where) - and your review is spot on. It was a bit clunky in its propaganda and acting in general, but oddly compelling too, not so much as a pure movie, but as a curiosity. You hit on the key points - not only an alternative history story - but in real time - kinda like a film version of the famous "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster. As if the British Government was coaching its people what to do when / if it happened (as there was a strong belief in '42 that the German invasion was coming.). Also, a bit of an echo with "Mrs Miniver" when she discovers the downed airman. If I remember, the black and white film was insanely crisp (like most of those British films from that era).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Thank you - you saw the two best offerings in April as I remember you posting about "Breakfast at Tiffany's" also.
Yeah, I usually go to see the old flicks that I've never seen on a big screen. Rain-outs have hit me hard this season with the cancellations of To Catch a Thief and Lawrence of Arabia. :(

Yeah, I usually go to see the old flicks that I've never seen on a big screen. Rain-outs have hit me hard this season with the cancellations of To Catch a Thief and Lawrence of Arabia. :(

Painful as not only are those two incredibly great movies, but I've seen both on a big screen and they become different and better movies than the ones we got to know on TV. "To Catch a Thief" is possibly the most beautiful movie made - clothes, setting, stars.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I saw it for the first time in the last year or so - would have said on TCM (but if you just saw the premiere, then I must have seen it elsewhere - just don't remember where) - and your review is spot on. It was a bit clunky in its propaganda and acting in general, but oddly compelling too, not so much as a pure movie, but as a curiosity. You hit on the key points - not only an alternative history story - but in real time - kinda like a film version of the famous "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster. As if the British Government was coaching its people what to do when / if it happened (as there was a strong belief in '42 that the German invasion was coming.). Also, a bit of an echo with "Mrs Miniver" when she discovers the downed airman. If I remember, the black and white film was insanely crisp (like most of those British films from that era).

I agree completely with your take as well. The similarities with Mrs. Miniver are obvious but this films a lot more "cold blooded". There are Nazi's and there are "BAD Nazi's", these guys were obviously the latter. When you start off by shootin' the Vicar in the back in cold blood... there ain't much place to go from there but down. When Robert Osborne says "being shown here for the first time" though I tend to believe him. It might've been shown on Public Television... I doubt if it was on BBC America. Not violent enough for "MeTv" or TV Land. Curious I wonder who DID show it.

Worf

I agree completely with your take as well. The similarities with Mrs. Miniver are obvious but this films a lot more "cold blooded". There are Nazi's and there are "BAD Nazi's", these guys were obviously the latter. When you start off by shootin' the Vicar in the back in cold blood... there ain't much place to go from there but down. When Robert Osborne says "being shown here for the first time" though I tend to believe him. It might've been shown on Public Television... I doubt if it was on BBC America. Not violent enough for "MeTv" or TV Land. Curious I wonder who DID show it.

Worf

I asked my girlfriend and she didn't remember either, but we are all in agreement that TCM and Robert Osborne have too much integrity for there to be any doubt it was a premiere when you saw it. (In one of those funny things that happens, Robert Osborne lives in an apartment house named the Osborn and it is a turn of the century gem of an apartment house here in NYC.) I checked, we didn't get it from Netflix, so unless my memory kicks in, I simply don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say PBS as the local PBS runs that type of movie on Saturday night occasionally - but that's a guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo