Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Hold Your Man (1933) with Jean Harlow and Clark Gable. Lots of snappy wise cracks. Gable had no mustache in this one.
Critic's Choice (1963) with Bob Hope and Lucille Ball. Drama critic Bob's wife Lucy writes a play and domestic sparks fly. Hope and Ball actually dial back their performances and it's enjoyable. Soupy Sales plays a hotel clerk.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You're not alone: I find it turgid and uninvolving. I've tried to watch it a bunch of times over the years and given up repeatedly. Which definitely isn't the case with Zulu, Khartoum, The Sand Pebbles, etc.

You're not alone: I find it turgid and uninvolving. I've tried to watch it a bunch of times over the years and given up repeatedly. Which definitely isn't the case with Zulu, Khartoum, The Sand Pebbles, etc.

Khartoum is an under appreciated one - that said, I haven't seen it in ten or more years, so maybe I'm one of those who under appreciates it.

Edward

Bartender
Watched a few films on the plane to and from Beijing last week. One that might appeal to Loungers with a grasp of Mandarin was a Chinese film called The Bullet Vanishes. Set during the post-Imperial/pre-Revolution republican period in China, probably mid to late twenties, assuming the Western fashions portrayed are accurate, it looks utterly stunning. Sadly, there was no English lanuguage track so I was unable to follow it. The other one that might be of interest to some round here was Rush, the story of the rivalry between F1 drivers James Hunt and Nikki Lauda during the early years of their careers. Significantly better than I anticipated: Hunt is far from airbrushed, being played very much as the playboy ass that he was, nor do they shy away from the fact that Hunt's 1976 Championship win was off the back of other people having lost (most particularly Lauda, who missed several races after his accident) rather than having genuinely bested all comers. Those things aside, it's a very nicely crafted film. Surprisingly subtle character piece compared to what else I've seen Ron Howard churn out over the years.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Tombstone again. Val Kilmer is great as Doc Holliday and Sam Elliot could read a phone book and be a hit.

+1

"I'll be your Huckleberry..... Come,
Dahlin' let us seek our entertainment elsewheah." I agree. Kilner was excellent in that role.

Heck, so were all the cast in that flick For that matter. A great movie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hatguy1

One Too Many
Makes me think of another Nicholas Cage dog of a movie from 1990, "Firebirds." Our local movie critic tagged that one best; "Just turn the sound off and enjoy the great flying scenes."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
On Saturday the missus and I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier and we liked it very much. I thought the "Winter" referred to Cap, what with having been frozen and all. There was a little too much car crashes and chases, and too much breaking glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo