Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Last night I watched Connery in Never Say Never Again, the unofficial Bond film which I hadn't seen since seeing it in the theatre originally. It's actually a good film with some great casting and much less camp and silliness than the official Bond films of the period. Edward Fox makes an excellent M.

3fingers

One Too Many
"Notorious" with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. I don't have cable, but we have a Roku. The Youtube channel is a great addition.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Touchofevil said:
Hellboy and Hellboy:The Golden Army
Those were decent movies and the comics (at least the ones by Mignola) were excellent. Mind you, I have a soft spot for hard B&W comic art.

Have anyone seen the animated Hellboy movie? Is it any good?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
We were up late with the new baby and watched "The Great Escape" which is a fantastic war film even if it does play a bit fast and loose with the true story. Hadn't seen it in years so it was like seeing an old friend again.

They followed it up with an excellent doco about hunting down the SS men who cold-bloodedly killed 50 of the escapers.

Joys of having small children eh? They seem to put all the good stuff on at well past the witching hour.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Citadel' - The final part of the Russian trilogy Burnt By The Sun. Some splendid parts but other rather silly moments - you just have to put on your 'It's the Russians, it's all symbolism etc' hat on!

Those were decent movies and the comics (at least the ones by Mignola) were excellent. Mind you, I have a soft spot for hard B&W comic art.

Have anyone seen the animated Hellboy movie? Is it any good?

I enjoyed The Golden Army much more than the first movie; visually, it was very entertaining. I too am a fan of B&W comic art as well as a big fan of Mignola's work.
:D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wolf Children (2012)

The only way I can describe this anime is its one of the most satisfying films I've seen in years.
It's about a woman who meets this man in her college and the fall in love. But, he's a wolf man who has hidden himself from society for a long time. After the birth of their second child, he dies, and the wife, Hana, has to decide how to raise their two young children alone.

Its primarily a story about a mother and her children over the course of their childhood and the everyday selfless things she does for her family. This director, who also directed another one of my favorite anime films, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006), has a knack of taking these epic concepts and framing them in these small compact worlds of about 8 or so characters, making the stories feel incredibly intimate and almost like an indie film.

I wish American animation would get away from the stereotypes of musicals and action action action and make real emotional projects that make the characters characters because they don't hold a candle to Japanese animation (and at times Canadian) in that respect.

The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, back-to-back on AMC this afternoon. Not long ago both of these movies were on my Stop And Drop list, but The Green Mile doesn't quite have that effect on me these days; probably because I've seen it so many times.

Yesterday afternoon it was Detention of the Dead, essentially a 2012 low-budget remake of The Breakfast Club with zombies. It was one of those, "Nothing else worth watching is on, so..." movies. For what it is it's not bad--I've seen far worse--but at least a few lines of dialogue seemed to be stolen directly from The Breakfast Club with little or no attempt to disguise them.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Fort Apache" - Ford and Wayne at it again in this installament of their "Cavalry Trilogy". Of the three I feel this is the finest. Great acting, crackling dialogue and it shows some of the struggles the post Civil War Army endured. It also showed how clearly the line between Commissioned vs. Non-Commissioned Officers was drawn by some and the inherent class struggle that can occur sometimes. Throw in Monument Valley and a rare celluloid win by Native Americans and you have a classic.

Worf

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
An Officer and a Gentleman with Richard Gere and Debra winger. I didn't realize he could act and I had forgotten how attractive she was.
We all know, the real star of the movie had two wheels! The only reason to watch it.
Ha ha, granted I thought that was a nice motorcycle, and I know nothing about motorcycles. But shirly Debra Winger was a second reason???

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
Legend of Bagger Vance... Always liked the eastern philosophy in the movie, plus a lot of nice hats... Noticed that in the background, there are several people wearing about a dozen or so of the same hat, yet they were careful not to have them grouped together. Really gave the impression of diversity, even when in panning shots you'd see three or four guys wearing identical hats... :p

Watched 'Blood Diamond' on TV this morning. Actually a pretty good flick. DeCaprio was surprisingly good. Hadn't seen him in recent movies...and most always placed him in the Tom Cruz boy league...but he has matured into a good actor in my view.
HD

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
"Fort Apache" - Ford and Wayne at it again in this installament of their "Cavalry Trilogy". Of the three I feel this is the finest. Great acting, crackling dialogue and it shows some of the struggles the post Civil War Army endured. It also showed how clearly the line between Commissioned vs. Non-Commissioned Officers was drawn by some and the inherent class struggle that can occur sometimes. Throw in Monument Valley and a rare celluloid win by Native Americans and you have a classic.

Worf

One of my all time faves. "Well, if you saw them, sir, they weren't Apaches"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy