Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Little Giant (1933) with Edward G. Robinson and Mary Astor: bootlegger figures Repeal puts the kibosh on his racket, and heads to sunny California. Some great dialogue and Robinson plays the gangster for laughs. Beautiful sharp print on the Warners' Archive Instant.

Watched "Too Many Husbands" recorded from TCM and struggled to watch the entire movie. All three stars - Jean Arthur, Fred MacMurray and Melvyn Douglas - are talented and enjoyable to watch, but the story, after a good first ten or so minutes, becomes forced and slapstickey. I'm as willing as the next guy to suspend reality in a light movie, but you need to get something in return. Here, I not only didn't believe the choices the characters made or their immature emotions, but I found myself not caring. I only stayed with it because I do enjoy all three stars, but this was a tough one for me.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
One of my all time faves. "Well, if you saw them, sir, they weren't Apaches"

"He's a recalcitrant swine and must feel it!"

"They outnumber us four to one... do we talk or fight?"
"You seem easily impressed by numbers Captain."

"A charge, mounted in fours!"
"Ah the madman!"

Great, great movie, fantastic dialogue.

Worf

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Watched "Too Many Husbands" recorded from TCM and struggled to watch the entire movie. All three stars - Jean Arthur, Fred MacMurray and Melvyn Douglas - are talented and enjoyable to watch, but the story, after a good first ten or so minutes, becomes forced and slapstickey. I'm as willing as the next guy to suspend reality in a light movie, but you need to get something in return. Here, I not only didn't believe the choices the characters made or their immature emotions, but I found myself not caring. I only stayed with it because I do enjoy all three stars, but this was a tough one for me.

Yeah... that happens sometimes. It's a fine line be funny and farce, I've never seen the film. Thanks for the "heads up".

Worf

Bullet the the Head (2012). A veteran hit man (Sylvester Stallone) and a Washington D.C. detective (Sung Kang) team up temporarily and inexplicably to defeat the bad guy (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje). Below average popcorn/action movie with corrupt cops and politicians, thugs straight out of central casting, occasionally nude or semi-nude underfed actresses, and lots of typical action movie violence and language. Oh, and Jason Momoa in a thankless role as an ex-military enforcer/errand boy; presumably he was cast to prove Stallone can still whup much larger guys that are half his age when the script calls for it. Watch it if you must, but...well, you've been warned.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The Shiralee (1957)

The story of an Australian 'swagman' forced to take his daughter out on the road with him. It was reportedly Peter Finch's favourite role.

The Little Giant (1933) with Edward G. Robinson and Mary Astor: bootlegger figures Repeal puts the kibosh on his racket, and heads to sunny California. Some great dialogue and Robinson plays the gangster for laughs. Beautiful sharp print on the Warners' Archive Instant.

Hi, I posted this about three weeks ago after I saw "The Little Giant" for the first time (on TCM, but also a very clear, crisp print) - did you see it to the end and if so, can you answer my question (thank you):

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I just saw "The Little Giant" for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. While dated in ways, being pre-code, it was also very fresh in spots as when one character refers to not having had a hallucination since he stopped using cocaine or when Edward G Robinson gives his soon-to-be ex-"girlfriend" some money as a parting gift (not seeing that stuff after the code was enforced).

Also, despite some overacting and a can-easily-see-what's-coming-next plot, it had some nice character interaction - EGR and Mary Astor showed some real chemistry and their scenes together had the most humanity in the film. Also, the clothes, cars and architecture were a time travel dream. My recording (I had set my DVR to record it off of TCM) stopped a few minutes before the movie ended. Everything looked like EGR and Mary Astor were going to get together, but again, my recording kicked out before the end - is that what happened / did anything else interesting happen at the end?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Hi, I posted this about three weeks ago after I saw "The Little Giant" for the first time (on TCM, but also a very clear, crisp print) - did you see it to the end and if so, can you answer my question (thank you):

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I just saw "The Little Giant" for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. While dated in ways, being pre-code, it was also very fresh in spots as when one character refers to not having had a hallucination since he stopped using cocaine or when Edward G Robinson gives his soon-to-be ex-"girlfriend" some money as a parting gift (not seeing that stuff after the code was enforced).

Also, despite some overacting and a can-easily-see-what's-coming-next plot, it had some nice character interaction - EGR and Mary Astor showed some real chemistry and their scenes together had the most humanity in the film. Also, the clothes, cars and architecture were a time travel dream. My recording (I had set my DVR to record it off of TCM) stopped a few minutes before the movie ended. Everything looked like EGR and Mary Astor were going to get together, but again, my recording kicked out before the end - is that what happened / did anything else interesting happen at the end?

EGR wins the girl (Astor).

BTW: Besides setting my DVR to record TCM movies...

I also go to "recording options" & set the recording time to extend by 2 minutes.

Otherwise the recording time will end even if the movie hasn't. ;)

EGR wins the girl (Astor).

BTW: Besides setting my DVR to record TCM movies...

I also go to "recording options" & set the recording time to extend by 2 minutes.

Otherwise the recording time will end even if the movie hasn't. ;)

Thank you - all signs pointed that way for EGR and Mary. Your advice on recording is sound, but it is silly that it is necessary - the DVR should be aligned to the movie.

:doh: I am waiting for Batman Versus Superman. Now THAT I will go to the theatre for. :p
I really hope Affleck is up to the task. When this movie is finished, I think he'll be the first actor to have played both Batman and Superman on screen (yeah, technically he was playing George Reeves as Superman in Hollywoodland, but I think it still counts :D).

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Pink Panther (1963).
Great scenery, really nice score, and of course Sellers is in top form (although he's not in it that much).

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
The Pink Panther (1963).
Great scenery, really nice score, and of course Sellers is in top form (although he's not in it that much).

Just was listening to Henry Mancini's score of that on Big Band jump .

Before P.C. took over the world ,Sellers was great at poking fun at things that are now considered taboo ,all tongue in cheek of course with no malice.
He was great!

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner