Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
A whole bunch of films for me this past week, as I've been travelling again. Of particular interest to this group would be The Book Thief, Monuments Men, and The Grand Budapest Hotel. All tremendously good, though my favourite is probably the last of the three.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Interested in seeing that last one! Have heard good things. :)

Just finished "Sparrows" with Mary Pickford. A lot more intense than I expected. :eeek:

A whole bunch of films for me this past week, as I've been travelling again. Of particular interest to this group would be The Book Thief, Monuments Men, and The Grand Budapest Hotel. All tremendously good, though my favourite is probably the last of the three.

I've only seen "The Book Thief" so far (the other two are in the Netflix queue), but really enjoyed it. Absolutely beautifully filmed in a way that was one step past reality, but without being too intentionally artsy. The touch-past-reality captured the gorgeousness and seediness of the setting in a slightly stylized way that, IMHO, enhanced it visually and added to the slight fantasy feel the movie had even set in one of history's most brutal periods. While the story felt very derivative of other recent movies on the same subject, like "The Reader" or "Sarah's Key," it brought an original take and lighter, but not inappropriate, vibe. I'm excited to see the other two your referenced.

...Zombie_61, if you'd like to see more Bogart playing bad/less likable characters look for The Caine Mutiny, The Desperate Hours, and In A Lonely Place. I've found these to be three very good Bogart performances.
Now that I'm becoming a fan of Bogart's work I'm interested in seeing almost any of his movies, so thank you for the suggestions! :yo:

Come on! Throw him The Maltese Falcon at least. :p
I've seen it. And The Big Sleep, and Casablanca, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, so except for To Have and Have Not and The African Queen I'd say I've seen the movies he's arguably most known for. And in the next couple of weeks I'll add They Drive by Night, High Sierra, and Key Largo to the list thanks to TCM; not bad for a guy who had never seen a Bogart movie start to finish before last year. :D

I've seen it. And The Big Sleep, and Casablanca, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, so except for To Have and Have Not and The African Queen I'd say I've seen the movies he's arguably most known for. And in the next couple of weeks I'll add They Drive by Night, High Sierra, and Key Largo to the list thanks to TCM; not bad for a guy who had never seen a Bogart movie start to finish before last year. :D

"Key Largo" is one that is good the first time and gets better with multiple viewings as the nuances in the performances and story required (at least for me) several viewings to catch them all.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Emperor" - D - Why hire Tommy Lee Jones to play General Douglass MacArthur and limit his on screen time to mere minutes. Mattew Fox as Brig. General Fellers is un-ineteresting, wooden and wholly forgettable. How you can take a story fraught with tension, intrigue, historical ramifications and drama and turn it into a dead, lifeless, slow roasted turd is beyond me. What a waste of talent, effort and treasure.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Milius" - B - Great documentary about this complex, talented and, literally, "larger than life" Hollywood writer/director. You watch his rise and eventual fall through the standard interviews, footage and alike... but the stories, like the man, leave you riveted. Two of his films "Conan the Barbarian" as well as "Apocalypse Now" are personal faves of mine. After being snubbed by the Academy for his writing on AN he retires with his friends to a nearby Hollywood Pizza joint, where he ate and drand beer in the only Tux he's probably EVER wore. Politics of "Red Dawn" aside, even his most controversial film, is cracking good entertainment. The John Huston of his generation his talents are missed.

Worf

Feraud

Bartender
You're on a roll, enjoy it!

"Key Largo" is one that is good the first time and gets better with multiple viewings as the nuances in the performances and story required (at least for me) several viewings to catch them all.

I agree Key Largo gets better with repeated viewings.

"Milius" - B - Great documentary about this complex, talented and, literally, "larger than life" Hollywood writer/director. You watch his rise and eventual fall through the standard interviews, footage and alike... but the stories, like the man, leave you riveted. Two of his films "Conan the Barbarian" as well as "Apocalypse Now" are personal faves of mine. After being snubbed by the Academy for his writing on AN he retires with his friends to a nearby Hollywood Pizza joint, where he ate and drand beer in the only Tux he's probably EVER wore. Politics of "Red Dawn" aside, even his most controversial film, is cracking good entertainment. The John Huston of his generation his talents are missed.

Worf
I saw this a few weeks back too and enjoyed it for all the reasons you wrote!

You have done well then. On to The Man with Bogart's Face. :p

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

You're in for a treat with the Bogey movies you haven't seen yet.
After having seen these.

There is still the 1945 version of the Big Sleep with Bogart.
Many scenes not included in the '46 version.
So bring some :pop2:: ~ :beer: & ENJOY !

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I saw this a few weeks back too and enjoyed it for all the reasons you wrote!

One thing I found interesting and lacking, there's NO discussion of Milius' family life. He obviously had kids, they're interviewed in the documentary, but NO mention of a wife, or who the mother of his children was or their relationship is broached. More'n likely his "larger than life" personae and frequent trips on location... might have led to a troubled domestic life.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy