Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Haven't seen that in many, many years. I noticed it the other night on netflix and thought briefly about revisiting.

Earlier tonight I watched Frozen with my daughters (5 & 8). I think they certainly enjoyed it more than I did, but it was a nice evening. I'm getting a little burnt on that song though.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
We made it through 20 minutes of the movie at my sister's a few weeks ago.
Then I suddenly had to leave. My Heart Goes On does get a bit old.
No? Shows how much I paid attention to the movie. :D

Twilight Eclipse...getting my sparkly on, the fun way with the Rifftrax group. ;)

Ghost_Chasers.jpg

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Silent Running

I watched that the other day myself. Been on a space kick lately, watching a lot of films about space: Gravity, Defying Gravity(the series), Europa Report, The Astronaut Farmer, Apollo 18, The Right Stuff. I'm not entirely sure why.

Maybe I need to visit the Space and Rocket Center and get it out of my system. I spoke with someone on here the other day in another thread who's from Washington State and had been there twice in as many years. I live just down the road, barely 30 miles away, and haven't been there in over 15 years.

A shame really, though I did meet astronaut Alan Bean (the fourth man to ever walk on the moon) the last time I was there.

Last edited:

Kitty Kahlo

New in Town
I'm watching Robin and The Seven Hoods (It's on TCM right now). It's a funny play on Robin Hood set in 1920s Chicago starring the rat pack. I've never seen this movie before and despite its awful reviews I am thoroughly entertained. It doesn't take much for me to be entertained though: sing, dance, and throw one liners in there and I'm happy lol

Last edited:
Just saw "The Notorious Landlady" (recorded off of GetTV) - a decent Kim Novak / Jack Lemmon movie with a wonderful supporting role for Fred Astaire (the man picks up a telephone with a quiet elegance and fluidity of motion that is pure joy to watch). That said, it kind of looses energy and, then, falls completely apart into screwballness at the end. However, the first two-thirds is good even if just to see Novak and Lemmon in their youthful prime, London in the early 1960s and, again, Fred Astaire not dance in a movie and still impress. And it is filmed in gorgeous black and white (color can be awesome in a movie, but it is overused as many movies, even today, would benefit from black and white filming).

Is that the one where Chuck Norris takes on the zombie dead guy?

I just watched "Shadow of the Cat" on Svengoolie

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
I just saw "The Immigrant" with Marion Cotillard and Joaquin Phoenix and must give it a plug since my friend Maja plays "Aunt Edyta" in the film. The story centers around a young Polish woman immigrating to America in 1921. It's beautifully shot, and the cast give powerful performances... well worth the price of a ticket. (Honestly.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1951181/

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Saw that one at the theater with my buddies when we were kids. Might be worth a search for although I expect it will look very cheap and dated.
:D
The best of montage from their take on the movie, can be found on youtube.
Because this is a shocker/action thriller movie, I won't post the link here because some scenes have blood in them.
For the most part, the entire movie (which can be purchased from Rifftrax.com) is funny.
Why? Part of it is the "riffing" or funny observations the 3 Rifftrax commenters make, and part of it is the actual movie.
For some reason, the writer and director couldn't seem to stick with one theme.
In each theme, Chuck Norris is the hero, in this movie via the town Sheriff (some say this was the first glimpse of him in a Walker Texas Ranger role).
The issue is that there are several obstacles Chuck has to fight (as Sheriff), and they should have just chosen one to keep the confusion down! You have the following: A slasher that was re-animated and let loose on the town,a group of bikers that didn't like the law telling them what to do, a deputy that is inept, Chuck's inability to wear a shirt quite often in the movie, and a girl that he'd like to date but somehow can't seem to find the time to do so.
Yeah, the Rifftrax treatment was needed here. :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Belle" - B+ - Well done British film based on a true story of an English Sea Captain and nobleman who decides to bring his half-Black daughter to England when her mother dies, and have her live with his Uncle and Aunt. Beautiful costumes... excellent acting, great settings and a compelling story.... well done all way round. It's in limited release currently... I hope the film is not totally forgotten come Oscar time.

Worf

DesertDan

One Too Many
hai ! :D

I have the "Criterion Collection" boxed edition of those movies which include a great documentary about Kurosawa and the making of these films.

Feraud

Bartender
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948). I'd seen parts of it here and there over the years, but this was the first time I'd seen it start to finish in one sitting. I haven't seen a lot of Bogart's work, so after seeing The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, and The Big Sleep, it was interesting to see him play a character who's not particularly likeable. He did have the best hat in the movie though. :D

While "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" is a classic - and I understand why - I can't watch it (even though I enjoyed it the first time I saw it) - it just doesn't work for me now, I'm bored during it. That said, I really enjoy Bogey as a bad guy in the very good, complicated and nuanced "Petrified Forest." Zombie - if you want to see another Bogey as bad guy film - this one is worth seeing. And a very young Betty Davis and Leslie Howard bring their A-game in it as well. I can watch this movie over and over again. "High Sierra" is also a decent Bogey as bad guy film as well (but PF is my favorite of these).

Treasure of the Sierra Madre still works for me. I like it as a Bogey vehicle and as a film about people lusting after fortune and how it brings out the best and typically worst behavior in people. Walter Huston stole that film! ;)

Zombie_61, if you'd like to see more Bogart playing bad/less likable characters look for The Caine Mutiny, The Desperate Hours, and In A Lonely Place. I've found these to be three very good Bogart performances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy