Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I did! I watched it today. This version is much more moving that its predecessor, I really enjoyed it :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you watch it again, you will probably enjoy it even more (at least I did) as there are a lot of facial expressions, body English and other subtle actor and director clues and nuances that I only caught on multiple viewings. For example, in the scene in which they are about to break up / see each other for the last time, a gossipy "friend" of Celia sits down and starts gabbing away and you can see the pain on Celia's face and the frustration on his as they wait for the friend to leave (very British - they won't be rude) and very sadly tense (you can feel their pain as the little time they have left is slipping away).

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Birth of the Living Dead" - A well made low budget documentary about the making of Romero's classic "Night of the Living Dead". I learned a lot about the filiming process, the hurdles faced and worst of all, how a copyright slip up rendered the film "Public Domain" at the height of its popularity. Romero and company, barely made a buck. Very entertaining.

Worf

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I saw this in the theatre... the regular cut. Were they able to salvage this disaster by using the D.C.?

Worf

Ugh... same on my side, saw this in the theatre. Only time I've been to a film that when the usher came out to tell us there was an intermission he said, "Sorry folks, its not over yet, its only the intermission. You've got another hour or more to go."

Last night I finally watched MUSCLE SHOALS, the documentary about the music recording business in the unlikely small southern town of Muscle Shoals, Alabama and it's far reaching and long lasting impact on popular music both in the US and abroad. Both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones covered Muscle Shoals-originated hits early in their careers. The Stones even later recorded there themselves.

This was of special interest to me because Muscle Shoals happens to be my home town. I know many of the players featured in the film and have even played music with some of them.

The film is now available on Netflix Streaming and Youtube (pay), and I'm sure other outlets as well. I highly recommend it. Here's a trailer:

[video=youtube_share;FNGtfpim0OM]http://youtu.be/FNGtfpim0OM[/video]

Just finished watching this on Netflix streaming - fantastic. First, I finally know what the heck the line in "Sweet Home Alabama" that goes "Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers" is all about. I always loved that line, but had no idea why, now I love it in a new inside-baseball way. We could run an entire thread on "lyrics that you loved but never understood until...."

But on a larger scale, this is a wonderfully done documentary on the music studio - its origin, success, uniqueness, business struggles and victories and the producer who was the owner and driving force behind it - and the beautiful rhythm and blues and rock and roll music that came out of it. Also, the interviews with the musicians who recorded there - Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Wilson Pickett and many others - ring true and give you a glimpse into the spinning world of 1960s and 70s music (and the drugs and drinking that were woven into the music).

And it's all crazy in that crazy beautiful way that it seems almost all great art needs embryonically. The owner / producer of Muscle Shoals is fighting demons of poverty and abandonment; the business demands from the big NY and LA music companies that, effectively, pay the bills push against the creative free-for-all of the recording process; the musicians are all carrying baggage, dreams and hope into the studio - and all this smashes into itself in this off-the-map, why-are-we-here little studio that had the right verve and vive to get unique, classic recordings out of an incredible array of musicians.

Matt, thank you for pointing this one out. FF

WH1

Practically Family
The Green Berets had it recorded on DVR. I was fortunate to spend Friday evening with BG (Ret) Joseph "Smoking Joe" Stringham and his lovely wife. He is the basis for the first portion of the movie dealing with the base camp being overrun and the Mike force. He is much better than John Wayne and a true gentleman.

WH1

Practically Family
I enjoyed the Monuments Men particularly John Goodman, I would watch paint dry if he were the painter because it would be a hell of a lot of fun, he is probably the most underrated actor there is!

I also really enjoyed the pairing of Bill Murray and Bob Balaban. I want to see them together again they were dry but hilarious, would really like to see them in a Laurel and Hardy type story.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Ridding Giants. Big wave surfers. Funny thing, the riders who started it all, in the 40s and 50s, are all in their 70s and 80s! They don't look like beach bums these days.

Batman (1989)

batman.jpg

WH1

Practically Family
Ridding Giants. Big wave surfers. Funny thing, the riders who started it all, in the 40s and 50s, are all in their 70s and 80s! They don't look like beach bums these days.

Amazing movie I have seen it several times. Never thought as a non-surfer that I would find it as interesting as it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran