Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't watch TCM as often as I used to because I'm not home as much, but I was pleased to see they've gotten rid of those dark, gloomy hipster interstitials they've been using the last several years, especially that tedious bass-guitar thing over the rating cards. They need to go one step further and bring back Chet Baker and the Edward Hopperish graphics.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
I heard they withdrew the five(?) 35mm prints, that they spent $6 million to restore, BTW, from circulation when they did that Fathom Event showing bull****.

The theatre I saw it at used the video preview projector to show the movie. So not even true HD and the prints disappeared off the circuit.

Glad if they didn't scrap a $6 million investment permanently. . .

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's common to pull prints from circulation when there's a special exclusive promotion going on like those Fathom shows -- there's usually a non-compete clause in the contract between the studio and the satellite distributor.

The real problem now is that there's no longer any way to properly print genuine dye-transfer Technicolor films. The last imbibition printing line was shut down in 2002 and the equipment was junked when the company was bought out by Thomson. The IB Tech prints that exist today are the only ones that will ever exist, and the studios are going to be very wary of letting them out because they're irreplaceable. We ran an IB print of "Oz" last March and had to get it from the Motion Picture Academy collection because no other prints were available. Needless to say, I held my breath thruout that show.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Julie (1956) with Doris Day, Louis Jourdan, Barry Sullivan, Frank (Nightbeat) Lovejoy, and many others. Young widow has real bad time with new husband. It appears the whole thing was shot on location in Carmel, San Francisco, and the adjacent areas. Produced by Day's then-husband Martin Melcher. About half-through the movie Day wears a bathrobe with DMD embroidered on the back; her character's name is Julie Benton. Wife and I started calling out disapproving comments to the characters as the plot points got sillier; we watched it through just to see how they wrapped up the whole thing.

"The Go-Between" a 1970 Julie Christie movie of which I watched (through sheer force of will) the first 18 minutes and, then, said "no more." I think I would have rather stared at the screen turned off. Although, the English manor house was gorgeous to see.

This begs the question, other than "Dr. Zhivago" and "Fahrenheit 451," in her prime, did she ever make another watchable movie?

Or a variation on this question: How could she have starred in those two movies and, then, never starred in another good movie?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Hugo (2011).
Visually stunning in HD, but the movie was a bit slow.
Yeah I know it was supposed to be a historical film, but skip a few days in the man's life for goodness sakes! ;)

"Mr. Buddwing" starring James Garner. Very 1960s in style (think "Manchurian Candidate" or "Seven Days in May") - crisp black and white, tight camera angles that, then, pan wide, the grit of the city showing through. And while it had some interesting parts and some great time travel back to 1960s NYC, the story doesn't really hold up well. That said, and without any spoilers, if you like Garner, the general style of the movie and some time travel, it's worth its couple of hours.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Hugo (2011).
Visually stunning in HD, but the movie was a bit slow.
Yeah I know it was supposed to be a historical film, but skip a few days in the man's life for goodness sakes! ;)

Surprisingly, I really liked "Hugo."

In fact, it's surprising that I even saw it. I would not have, but my wife had a birthday party to attend and I needed to kill a couple of hours (after having dinner out together). Originally, I intended to see that silent movie that came out (can't recall the name) three years ago, but it had just finished it's run at this particular movie theater in Chelsea. The start time for "Hugo" was the same and it was the only movie playing that I had heard of. So, I bought a ticket and sat in the back of the theater. It had been out for a couple of months, so the theater only had a smattering of people. And, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

- Ian

I, too, enjoyed "Hugo" as, stated above, it is visually stunning. It also had a wonderful time-travel (back to the Golden Era) feel to it. It is an example of new technology being used to enhance a story / accomplish something visually in an interesting way as a opposed to just using it to make a bigger explosion in another copy cat action adventure movie.

Ian, I think the other movie you are referring to is "The Artist," which was also a quite enjoyable movie that was almost an all-silent movie paying respect back to that era of Hollywood. It, like "Hugo," works more because of its style, sensitivity and creative impulse than its story.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
"An Affair to Remember". Very sweet film. Hubby's first time seeing it. He won't admit to getting a bit misty eyed at the end, but I saw it. :)

He commented that he REALLY liked "The Maltese Falcon". (He's usually a sci-fi, horror flick guy, so this was a huge admission to me.) He liked Bogart's character. Any other films to recommend that are along those lines? Or any other must-see films for a classic films newbie? He's willing to watch them with me (FINALLY - after 8 years of marriage), so I want to take advantage of his willingness.

Babydoll,

Off the top of my head (and trying to keep the two movies you noted in mind):

Casablanca

Key Largo

Gilda

Sabrina

The Philadelphia Story

Suspicion

Rebecca

Laura

It is great to be able to introduce someone to old classic movies - enjoy

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Gone Girl" - Can't give much plot away... but it's an "interesting" film. Few too many left turns for me and it's about 15 minutes too long. Affleck is competent but it's Rosamund Pike that steals the show. Almost on par with Pike is Carrie Coon as Affleck's twin sister. Big hit but I've seen a lot better. I actually found "The Equalizer" more entertaining.

Worf

Denton

One of the Regulars
"The Go-Between" a 1970 Julie Christie movie of which I watched (through sheer force of will) the first 18 minutes and, then, said "no more." I think I would have rather stared at the screen turned off. Although, the English manor house was gorgeous to see.

This begs the question, other than "Dr. Zhivago" and "Fahrenheit 451," in her prime, did she ever make another watchable movie?

Or a variation on this question: How could she have starred in those two movies and, then, never starred in another good movie?

I too was disappointed by "The Go-Between," but I must respond to your question in the strongest possible terms. For a start, how about "Petulia" (1968), Richard Lester's best movie and one of the best movies of the 1960s, and "McCabe and Mrs. Miller," my favorite Altman movie. Her performances in these two movies demonstrate her range: in the former, she hides depth of feeling under displays of charm and kookiness; in the latter, she is all business, no time for sentiment.

I might also mention "Darling," "Billy Liar," and "Don't Look Now," although the last one is more remarkable for Donald Sutherland's performance.

In short, Christie is one of the most interesting film actors of her generation, incredibly beautiful and a monument of unaging intellect.

"The Uninvited" (Paramount, 1944)
One of the earliest "ghost" movies to treat the subject seriously, and a surprisingly well structured plot for an early horror film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner