Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn. Not sure if I like the new animation, but change is good for the soul as I am finding out these days!

Rush (2013), the Ron Howard movie about the 1970s rivalry between Formula One drivers James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl). Solid performances throughout and decent pacing, but there aren't any surprises if you're familiar with the story of Hunt and Lauda, and even though use of CGI was kept to a miminum it is occasionally obvious (to me, anyway). Still, it's well worth seeing if you're interested.

How are the Thin Man movies? They have several available through our library.

I'm a fan as the dialogue (as noted above) between Powell and Loy is awesome. For me, the series is about the dialogue, the characters, the style (and time travel) and the fun the stars have; the stories themselves are usual only okay at best and a lot of times are a throw away, IMHO.

To your question re films similar to "The Maltese Falcon" there were some great recommendations in an above post, but I would add

"The Glass Key" and "This Gun for Hire" - two wonderful Alan Ladd - Veronica Lake film noir movies.

Can't wait to hear your reviews.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Like McConahay (sp.) Depp and few others... he's managed to move past his "pretty boy" looks and make quite a name for himself as an actor. He's due for a statue in my opinion... overdue really.

Worf
I agree. I thought some of Pitt's other roles were excellent, too, like Meet Joe Black. He was so understated in that movie. I won't be at all surprised to see him at least nominated for Fury. It was good to see Shia LeBeouf stretch, too, though he's still not quite the caliber of Pitt in this case. I'll be watching for more from him. The rest of the cast was pretty good, as well. I didn't really know Michael Peña or Jon Bernthal from anything else, but Bernthal, particularly, balanced the conflicting sides of his role really, really, well.

I'd plan to see this one on the big screen, if you can; I think it's going to lose some of the visceral impact on the small screen.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm a fan as the dialogue (as noted above) between Powell and Loy is awesome. For me, the series is about the dialogue, the characters, the style (and time travel) and the fun the stars have; the stories themselves are usual only okay at best and a lot of times are a throw away, IMHO.

To your question re films similar to "The Maltese Falcon" there were some great recommendations in an above post, but I would add

"The Glass Key" and "This Gun for Hire" - two wonderful Alan Ladd - Veronica Lake film noir movies.

Can't wait to hear your reviews.

I found "This Gun for Hire" in our library system. Added to my list. Thanks!

(Our library system ROCKS! We can borrow from any library in our county - which is huge - for free. They transfer to my local library and send me an email when it is available to be picked up. Love, love, love it!)

...I thought some of Pitt's other roles were excellent, too, like Meet Joe Black. He was so understated in that movie. I won't be at all surprised to see him at least nominated for Fury...
I've always thought Pitt was a better actor than most people gave him credit for. Like Robert Redford before him, it seems most people couldn't see past the good looks. I can't say I've seen every movie he's been in, but he was very good in the movies I have seen and I'm looking forward to seeing Fury.

...I didn't really know Michael Peña or Jon Bernthal from anything else, but Bernthal, particularly, balanced the conflicting sides of his role really, really, well...
I became aware of Jon Bernthal from watching the first two seasons of The Walking Dead, and in my opinion he has the talent to have a long and impressive career; time will tell.

I've always thought Pitt was a better actor than most people gave him credit for. Like Robert Redford before him, it seems most people couldn't see past the good looks. I can't say I've seen every movie he's been in, but he was very good in the movies I have seen and I'm looking forward to seeing Fury.

Agree completely. I think the guy has incredible talent. Just to note one movie, I thought he hit the ball out of the park in "Inglorious Bastards."

Smithy

I'll Lock Up

I think that is very true. Pitt can be a brilliant actor, his role as Tyler Durden in "Fight Club" was IMHO one of the best performances of the 90s.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Spy Game. I think both Redford and Pitt were on their games in that one!

I nominated "Spy Game" in the underappreciated film thread here. It's a gem of a film, one of the best spy thrillers. I have it on DVD and watch it at least once a year.

Edward

Bartender

Redford I've never rated - he makes my skin crawl. Joint second creepiest man in Hollywood. His Jay Gatsby was especially awful. Pitt. though.... Brad Pitt is an acting genius. I find him to be in the same boat as young Lenny Dicaprio - a truly gifted actor who had to grow out of the pretty boy phase in order to be taken seriously. He really grabbed my attention from Se7en onwards; when he snapped at the end, I felt the full horro of what he'd seen in the box. Tyler Durden and Aldo the Apache are real career highs IMO.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
I agree on all counts. Redford just doesn't do anything for me at all. Even behind the camera as director his stuff is plain boring, yet everyone raves about his movies. He's not even a has been then.:(
Redford I've never rated - he makes my skin crawl. Joint second creepiest man in Hollywood. His Jay Gatsby was especially awful. Pitt. though.... Brad Pitt is an acting genius. I find him to be in the same boat as young Lenny Dicaprio - a truly gifted actor who had to grow out of the pretty boy phase in order to be taken seriously. He really grabbed my attention from Se7en onwards; when he snapped at the end, I felt the full horro of what he'd seen in the box. Tyler Durden and Aldo the Apache are real career highs IMO.

+1 on Dicaprio - he won me over with his intense performance in "Shutter Island" (also, an underrated film).

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
R.O.T.O.R. (1987)...the Rifftrax version.
Much better that way, otherwise the movie is a Robocop rip off.
However, this has a bit part with the opossum, George Jones.
Actually he's the only name I recognized in the credits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko