Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Last night I watched "The Big Sleep", the British version from the 70s with Robert Mitchum. I didn't expect much, given that everyone here and everywhere gives this film a bad review, but I thought it was excellent in almost every respect. It's not perfect, but it definitely doesn't it's bad reputation. The only criticism I can level at it is some story jumping early in the film (obviously a few seconds of film was cut) and Mitchum's on/off performance. Everyone else in the film works hard and the locations and pacing are great. The confusing original story by Chandler is followed closely and with the right actors it suddenly is less confusing.

I had lunch yesterday with a friend of mine who I used to work with. He's managed to secure a small role in the upcoming "12 Monkeys" television series and is delighted they haven't killed off his character (yet). He's playing Keller, a mercenary. He was in a single episode of "Defiance" last year and still gets stopped on the street by people who recognize him!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Franco Zeffirelli's "Romeo and Juliet". I've not watched it in 25 years (was part of my sophomore English class - had to get a permission slip signed by our parents to watch some of the more "racy" scenes, so I remember it well). Was great company while crocheting baby hats last night. Only made it halfway through, so will finish it tonight.

"Illegal" staring Edward G Robinson (the actor I first met as the Frog in "Courage Cat and Minute Mouse") - this is a good film noir that could have been very good, but like many movies, it falls apart somewhere toward the end. The writers / director couldn't seem to decide if Robinson was a good or bad man and while this works early on as it builds tension and interest in his character, later on, it just becomes wishy washy.

Away form the that, the talented and, IMHO, underrated Nina Foch co-starred as Robinson's surrogate daughter / mentee - I am always surprised that she didn't have a bigger career, but maybe it is because her looks and figure are understated at a moment when the country seemed to want Jane Mansfields and Marylyn Monroes.

P.S. I really enjoy Robinson as an actor, but I will always hear the Frog character in his voice - he did seem to just natural add a croak here or there in his speech.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
"Illegal" staring Edward G Robinson (the actor I first met as the Frog in "Courage Cat and Minute Mouse") - this is a good film noir that could have been very good, but like many movies, it falls apart somewhere toward the end. The writers / director couldn't seem to decide if Robinson was a good or bad man and while this works early on as it builds tension and interest in his character, later on, it just becomes wishy washy.

Away form the that, the talented and, IMHO, underrated Nina Foch co-starred as Robinson's surrogate daughter / mentee - I am always surprised that she didn't have a bigger career, but maybe it is because her looks and figure are understated at a moment when the country seemed to want Jane Mansfields and Marylyn Monroes.

P.S. I really enjoy Robinson as an actor, but I will always hear the Frog character in his voice - he did seem to just natural add a croak here or there in his speech.

I have this on the DVR, haven't seen it yet though.
Thanks for the review, I'll have to watch it tomorrow night.

Tonight it's High School Musical (2006).
Don't worry, it's the Rifftrax version.
Yeah, it still has the crappy music, but the jokes from the Rifftrax crew are hilarious!:D

I have this on the DVR, haven't seen it yet though.
Thanks for the review, I'll have to watch it tomorrow night.

Tonight it's High School Musical (2006).
Don't worry, it's the Rifftrax version.
Yeah, it still has the crappy music, but the jokes from the Rifftrax crew are hilarious!:D

Please let me know what you think of it when you do.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Last night I tried to watch "The Shooting Party" but gave up after 15 or 20 minutes. I like James Mason and Edward Fox, but I could see the movie was probably going to be another boring British costume drama. I then put in "The Landlord" starring Beau Bridges. That I got through, but only the first half is really good: it starts out a clever social satire with smart comedy elements, but then in the second half becomes super-serious and surrealistic at times. I don't know what they were thinking, because if they'd just kept on with the balance they had in the first half if would have been a truly excellent film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21