Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Twilight

Familiar Face
Lets see...
On Thursday night I watched King Kong.
On Friday I watched That Thing You Do!
And today I've watched Shaun of the Dead and Jurassic Park.
:D

Jovan

Suspended
Feraud said:
I started watching Juno but turned it off after 5 minutes. Unbearably horrible dialogue. A waste of 5 minutes of my life.
You obviously don't know the way kids talk these days. :D You should have watched it past that five minutes. There's a reason it won an Academy Award.

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
You obviously don't know the way kids talk these days. :D You should have watched it past that five minutes. There's a reason it won an Academy Award.
I have been around kids (am currently raising one) and they do not talk like that. All that snark is Hollywoodspeak.
What exactly is the reason it won an award? Was this piece of dreck the best screenplay? My time is too precious. I want those 5 minutes back.

Jovan

Suspended
If your time is precious and you set aside enough of it to watch a movie, why are you complaining and shutting it off past five minutes? Just saying. [huh]

I may be biased as I met the writer in person (and she is VERY cool) but I like the movie for all its quirks. I honestly think you should have watched the whole thing.

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
If your time is precious and you set aside enough of it to watch a movie, why are you complaining and shutting it off past five minutes? Just saying. [huh]

I may be biased as I met the writer in person (and she is VERY cool) but I like the movie for all its quirks. I honestly think you should have watched the whole thing.
I am not complaining but giving an opinion which you choose to take issue with. I have seen enough films in my life to know a train wreck in progress.
Oh and btw the film was not quirky. It is desperately trying to be hip. BIG difference young man.

I can see you pushing the issue because you met the writer but honestly in a couple of years you will see this for the garbage it is and forget abou it. The Oscar was a fluke and not really indicative of quality.

Jovan

Suspended
You're confusing spirited debate with me taking issue with your opinion. I think you should have watched the rest to judge it. That is all I have to say about that. In a couple of years, we will see where my opinion lies. ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
I started watching Juno but turned it off after 5 minutes. Unbearably horrible dialogue. A waste of 5 minutes of my life.

I kinda have that vibe about that movie...sort of dating itself with its 'in the now dialogue' much like Joss Wedon did/does. Which is fine I guess, but its been a year and is old now, so its past its prime.

I like the actress, loved Page in Hard Candy.

LD

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Across The Universe. I know opinion was divided on this film, but I loved it. Sure, it was a bit too long and overly ambitious (trying to squeeze in the entire Sixties experience), but the imagery was absolutely stunning, and the performances of the Beatles songs were mostly excellent - especially some which reimagined them in movingly different ways from the original versions. Fascinating, and at times quite moving.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Caught the second half of Head on Off Beat Cinema. I was so mad, I had been wanting to see that movie for years and years and years!:mad:

Other wise, rented Tim Burtons Sweeney Todd. Loved it, although I had to explain differ parts of it to the 14 yo. She was having difficulties following bits and pieces of the story. Now I want to find the one with Angela Lansbury. I've watched bits that they have on youtube.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Jovan said:

I have a seventeen-year-old niece who talks like that -- but she does it in a very forced and deliberate way, trying desperately to be clever, which is kind of the same way Juno herself struck me. Maybe that's the problem with the rising generation -- they need better writers!

Seriously though, "Juno" is the highest grossing film in the history of the Strand -- we ran it for three weeks, and I wish we could have run it for three weeks more.

Aviator

Familiar Face
Just watched Terry Zwigoff's Crumb followed by Cronenberg's Eastern Promises. Crumb was dark, but a very fascinating look at the artist Robert Crumb...I think the director did a fantastic job peeling off his "layers".

I enjoyed Eastern Promises , despite the violence (oddly, having children has made me more sensitive to violence in film). The fight scene in the steam bath was one of the best fight scenes I've ever seen; you gotta admire the courage of Viggo Mortenson to do such a physically demanding scene in his altogether. I continue to be impressed by the range of Mortenson, & Armin Mueller-Stahl did an excellent job as a heavy. And I find Naomi Watts to be a real stunner (hope I'm not going out on a limb on that thought)!

Good performances all around, without the usual Hollywood ending.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Last night was Pixar's 'Ratatouille.' Incredible animation (and subtle humor), but of course it wasn't as good on the small screen as when I watched it on the wide-screen from row three.

Hondo

One Too Many
Teaches Pet: 1958

Teaches Pet:Clark Gable, Doris Day and Gig Young. Note: also "Happy Days" Marion Ross.
A tough city editor assumes a fake identity to study journalism with a lady professor who's criticized his work.

All light hearted, shows its age (drinking, smoking, night clubs). Some how as much as I love Doris Day it didn't fit with Clark Gable, (or is it the other way around?) because Gable was much older, his days as leading man (romantic) were over. What a figure Doris has! Still it was enjoyable, can you believe Doris is 84? ;)

Jovan

Suspended
LizzieMaine said:
I have a seventeen-year-old niece who talks like that -- but she does it in a very forced and deliberate way, trying desperately to be clever, which is kind of the same way Juno herself struck me. Maybe that's the problem with the rising generation -- they need better writers!

Seriously though, "Juno" is the highest grossing film in the history of the Strand -- we ran it for three weeks, and I wish we could have run it for three weeks more.
:D

It will be one of my first purchases on Blu-Ray.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
TessTrueheart said:
I just watched Sunset Boulevard for the first time. Wow!:eusa_clap

Incredible movie, isn't it? And it holds up beautifully no matter how many times you watch it.

It is easy to forget, but in 1950 (the year of Sunset Boulevard's release), the silent era was the very recent past, only 25 years before -- far closer than we are to the Sixties, say. It all passed into legend remarkably fast, as the movie makes quite clear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou