Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saw The Number 23 on HBO I think. Had 1 1/2 stars but I usually don't let that deter me. It was at least a 2 1/2 out of 4 stars. Nothing wrong with it and well written with neat plots twists.[huh]

Avalon

A-List Customer
Twitch said:
Saw The Number 23 on HBO I think. Had 1 1/2 stars but I usually don't let that deter me. It was at least a 2 1/2 out of 4 stars. Nothing wrong with it and well written with neat plots twists.[huh]

Without spoiling it for folks who haven't seen it, what did you think of the ending? That was, in my opinion, the weakest part of the film.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Patrick Murtha said:
This is easy. Move to Seaside, Florida, the New Urbanist community where much of the film was shot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaside,_Florida
Interesting; I had no idea it was a real town. I read a little about this "New Urbanist" movement, and it seems, well, a bit...Stepford. I do like the idea of making communities "walkable", though. I'd love to live somewhere that I could walk downtown every day, but I'm sure that there are towns out there already where one can do that.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Just finished watching "American History X" again. Oh good lord, what a fine film.

Earlier today, I watched Herzog's "Grizzly Man". The verdict is still out for me on this one, though there's no denying that Herzog is a brilliant man.

Custom79

One of the Regulars
A western

Just finished watching Crossfire Trail. One of Tom Selleck's westerns.

Good cast and a nicely told, however predictable story.

Hey, that's what makes a good western.

Cheers.

C79

A.R. McVintage

Patrick Murtha said:
It is easy to forget, but in 1950...

It's also interesting to think about Sunset Boulevard in terms of films that come after. One thing I found very striking is the similarities between it and Psycho.

Both shot in B&W (After Hitchcock had used Technicolor for years) and both are stories in which the protagonists get killed by a nutcase living an insulated life in a creepy old mansion.

zaika

One Too Many
i recently watched the second Elizabeth movie, starring Cate Blanchett. i thought the film, aside from Blanchett, was a bit...meh.

and while it's not a movie, per se, i have been watching the first season of The Tudors. very indulgant, very lovely. i think rhys meyers was a perfect choice for Henry VIII as he embodies this royal arrogance. i can't wait to get disc 2 from netflix!

TessTrueheart said:
I just watched Sunset Boulevard for the first time. Wow!:eusa_clap

tess, i saw that for the first time not long ago, too! and...i love your avatar. :)

TessTrueheart

Patrick Murtha said:
Incredible movie, isn't it? And it holds up beautifully no matter how many times you watch it.

Yes, I was thinking while I was watching how fresh and timeless it seems, and I am sure I will watch it again.

Zaika, thank you. Unfortunately it's not a very politically correct avatar.:eusa_doh: It's a swedish woman , Jane Horney, who was killed by the Danish resistance during WWII. They thought she was a spy for the Germans but noone knows this for sure. I'm writing a little something about her now, the avatar reminds me that I really SHOULD be writing in stead of hanging around here all the time...lol lol

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I just watched "After the thin man" I want to get the other DVDs in this series. I was suprised to see "Blondie" (Penny Singleton) as "Polly" who's stage name was Dorthy Mc Nulty in this film. She is a real young sassy Brunette in this film.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
A.R. McVintage said:
It's also interesting to think about Sunset Boulevard in terms of films that come after. One thing I found very striking is the similarities between it and Psycho.

Both shot in B&W (After Hitchcock had used Technicolor for years) and both are stories in which the protagonists get killed by a nutcase living an insulated life in a creepy old mansion.

Here's another interesting connection: the actual house and grounds used for the filming of Sunset Boulevard show up again in Rebel Without a Cause as the location where James Dean, Natalie Wood, and Sal Mineo hide out. The empty swimming pool where the three youths sit and talk is the same pool that William Holden's body is discovered floating in.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
A little slow in my film watching lately. I did continue my exploration of the British New Wave with Billy Liar, and of film noir with Dark Passage.

Billy Liar is based on the novel by Keith Waterhouse (first turned into a play, then this film), and was directed by John Schlesinger; it stars Tom Courtenay (who had followed Albert Finney in the role on stage) and Julie Christie (briefly but memorably). Billy "Liar" is a disaffected dreamer of a young man who, trapped in his own solipsism, doesn't much consider his impact on the people around him (including his two mutually unknowing fiancees). Courtenay is very believable in the role, but doesn't, to my way of thinking, pull the audience into his fantasies; perhaps there was no intent to do that, but, watching the character from an exterior perspective, he's rather off-putting. That makes the film, ostensibly comic, actually rather sour and eventually quite sad; the ending (beautifully done) is an unexpected slap that would be unthinkable in an equivalent American film of that time. Billy Liar is, ultimately, a serious, substantial, must-see movie.

Dark Passage, based on a novel by David Goodis and directed by the underrated Delmer Daves, teamed Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall for the third of their four movies together. Because the noir plot hinges on a plastic surgery operation, the audience doesn't actually see Bogart's face until the last third of the movie; most of the first third is shot from a subjective camera perspective (well done). There is terrific location footage of San Francisco throughout the film, which looks to me to have been a definite influence on Hitchcock's Vertigo (one shot in particular, a fall from a window, is startlingly reminiscent of the later film). Dark Passage is especially strong in juicy supporting performances; even the actors only on for one scene give it their all. Tom D'Andrea is a standout as a sympathetic cabbie; less than thirty seconds into his first scene, you know you're seeing something special. Anyone who responds to film noir or Forties melodramas ought to catch this movie.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Spent last weekend at our campus film festival, and then a 24-hour movie marathon, so...
Robin Hood: Men in Tights, SLC Punk, Brave Little Toaster, Jurassic Park, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Dawn of the Dead, A Clockwork Orange, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Trainspotting, Wet Hot American Summer, and the Big Lebowski.

To recover (yeah right) I've been writing final papers on Bollywood cinema all week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou