Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

68b24a33f16dc6761670422c55e4f634.jpg

Another old comedy this time starring Cary Grant

And an equally fun novel - worth the read, similar to the movie, fun, light and engaging.

Yeah? Try mine. I am still working on Churchill's six volume WWII history. :p

I would love to do that, just can't get myself to devote the reading time it will require - but at some point in my life I will. About a year ago, I re-read "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and that took a chunk of time, but still nothing compared to Churchill's history.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I would love to do that, just can't get myself to devote the reading time it will require - but at some point in my life I will. About a year ago, I re-read "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and that took a chunk of time, but still nothing compared to Churchill's history.

My problem is that I get sidetracked so easily...so many good books, so little time! So if one doesn't capture my attention after a few chapters, I either skim through the rest or abandon it and move on.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Meanwhile, as for movies, our current feature is "Woman In Gold," which is just about the most perfect movie for our demographic that could possibly be made: Helen Mirren vs. Nazi art thieves. The only thing that could make it more perfect is if they could have fit Maggie Smith and Judi Dench into supporting roles.

Once you get going on it, it really is quite compelling as he pulls no punches and places blame where he thinks it belongs. Beginning right with the West for letting things get out of control in the first place. :p

My problem is that I get sidetracked so easily...so many good books, so little time! So if one doesn't capture my attention after a few chapters, I either skim through the rest or abandon it and move on.

Been there done that. :p I have also been known to read a few books at the same time---going from one to the other. :p When one frustrates me I go to the next and them back to the original one when I calm down. :p
I am currently readin The Raven---Sam Houston's biography and it is fairly compelling as well. One thing about him is that whatever legend or story you might have heard about him---it is probably true or has some basis in fact. :p he did beat down that Congressman with a cane and he did live with the Indians for quite some time.

All the best people have unfinished books piled up around, under, and in their beds.

I do have several, but it is - for no good reason - hard for me to abandon a book once I've started it. I do it, but I feel guilty and I'm not sure why. It's why every once in awhile I treat (and that's how I think about it) myself to re-reading a favorite: I know it will be good and the pressure is off. I absolutely know I live too much inside my head.

What did you personally think of "Woman in Gold" and have you seen "The Age of Adaline" yet?

Been there done that. :p I have also been known to read a few books at the same time---going from one to the other. :p When one frustrates me I go to the next and them back to the original one when I calm down....

I never used to do that, but awhile back I tried it and now I'm hooked. I like having the ability to pick which one to read at a given moment versus feeling I have to read just this one because it's the one I'm reading now. What I've been doing is one fiction and one non-fiction at the same time as it seems to help my small brain keep them separate.

It's a pretty good picture for what it is -- a straightforward Helen Mirren vehicle. I'm hoping we might get "Adaline" in May or June, but I hope to see it somewhere even if not on our screen.

I know I posted something like this before, how did Blake Lively go from "Gossip Girl" to staring in this movie - that is an incredible career jump? I have absolutely nothing against her, but it seems like an unbelievably great role for someone with her experience / career background to get - no?

I never used to do that, but awhile back I tried it and now I'm hooked. I like having the ability to pick which one to read at a given moment versus feeling I have to read just this one because it's the one I'm reading now. What I've been doing is one fiction and one non-fiction at the same time as it seems to help my small brain keep them separate.

I like reading books about the same subject so it seems like a movie in my mind as I shift from one scene to another. :p I was reading And I Was There along with The Normandy Crucible. So I toggled from the Pacific to the European war theaters. It worked. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've never seen her other work, so I'll be interested in the answer to that myself. I'm rarely convinced by modern actors performing Era-oriented roles -- they know the words, but usually not the music, so to speak -- but I'd be happy to see an exception.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I like reading books about the same subject so it seems like a movie in my mind as I shift from one scene to another. :p I was reading And I Was There along with The Normandy Crucible. So I toggled from the Pacific to the European war theaters. It worked. :p

I also tend to read thematically, and it can lead to some interesting tangents. I once read three different biographies of Malcolm X at the same time, alternating between volumes, and then moved on to two simultaneous biographies of Elijah Muhammad and topped it off with C. Eric Lincoln's "The Black Muslims in America." And that was over a period of about two weeks. I'd have one book in the bathroom, one in the bedroom, and one out on the porch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner