Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
"The First World War from Above." A documentary about aerial photographs taken during the war, and also a remarkable French film taken from an airship of the complete devastation of the landscape of the front opposed to what the same places look like today. Amazing views of the towns of Ypres and Passchendaele rebuilt over the last 100 years after being essentially totally obliterated during the war.

vmtrevino2

A-List Customer
I would love to do that, just can't get myself to devote the reading time it will require - but at some point in my life I will. About a year ago, I re-read "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and that took a chunk of time, but still nothing compared to Churchill's history.
We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender

vmtrevino2

A-List Customer
I'm sorry I am not too sure what y'all were chatting about but every time I hear the name Churchill these words ring in my head

I'm currently reading "The Devil and Sonny Liston"... compelling but I doubt anyone in Hollywood would do THAT life story.... Sad...

Worf

I have not read that book and it's been awhile since I've read anything on Sonny Liston, but I love boxing from the '20s - '60s/'70s and have, over the years, read extensively on it and my impression from that is that Sonny Liston is one in a long list of boxers who could have been so much more if they had had better managers and handlers. Not that Liston didn't have his own internal demons, but with better people, decent people, people who cared about him, guiding him, I think he could have had a more successful career and life.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
An interesting little Netflix offering called "The Girl That Walks At Night Alone" . The closest thing I can compare it to is the wonderful "Let the Right One In" from several years back. Several twists though, first its set in some mythical Middle Eastern city called "Bad City" (real original there), which seems to have one drug dealer bad guy, some rich kids, oil wells, one prostitute, one very young and handsome "James Dean" clone and suddenly... one young female vampire. Can't say it was great but it was filmed in glorious black and white. Farsi with subtitles, definitely for the "art house" crowd.

Worf

Godzilla (2014). Yet another retelling of humans discovering the existence of absurdly large grudge-holding pseudo-dinosaurs on Earth. Too long by at least 30 minutes, mostly uninteresting human characters, and once again Godzilla is relegated to being a fourth-tier character in his own movie.

The only film I ever saw Shemp in was "The Bank Dick" which starred W.C. Fields. However, there is a long list of films in which Shemp played a role. http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/index/SSH
Some of these surely must be available somewhere?

Africa Screams is one with Shemp in it along with In The Navy and Hold that Ghost. He isn't in all of them as a big character and in Hold That Ghost it is more of a cameo role.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Saw "The Babadook" on Netlix last night. Wow... scary as all get out. Great little Australia horror flick. Well acted, well filmed and well done. Not recommended for single moms of precocious boys. You're left with some questions at the end but all in all well done.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
To get over a serious cases of "the scaryies" I then watched "The Sheik" a documentary about The Iron Sheik of WWWF fame. Amazing second act for a man who was a very serious wrestler in his early days. About 20 minutes too long but well done with an obvious love of the man, the legend. Good guys come and go but everyone remembers the heels. Time has ravaged the man but not as badly as it has some others. Jimmy "SuperFly" Sanuka looks real bad, as does Nicolai Volkoff and some others.

Worf

Big J

Call Me a Cab
The Imitation Game. Benedict Cumberbatch did an outstanding job as Alan Turing.

I can't wait to see that! When we went to the UK last year on holiday, I dragged my wife out to Bletchly Park, she didn't have a clue what the fuss was about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner