Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Dead Man Walking.
It just happened to be on, and I'd never seen it before.
I was glad they killed him in the end, what was the point of the film?

A little trivia. Some of the Plains Indians had a saying, "if you see a dead man walking in the sky, that is the day you will die!" It sounds like superstition, but it's not! They were referring to a multiple funnel tornado. If you saw that on the plains, with no where to hide, you probably were going to die!

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"The Big Trail" (1930) on DVD. John Wayne's first starring role, with Marguerite Churchill as the love interest, and Tyrone Power Sr. as the bad guy. The format is Fox Grandeur 70mm (early widescreen). The copy is very good all 122 minutes of it.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
A little trivia. Some of the Plains Indians had a saying, "if you see a dead man walking in the sky, that is the day you will die!" It sounds like superstition, but it's not! They were referring to a multiple funnel tornado. If you saw that on the plains, with no where to hide, you probably were going to die!

Thank you! That's so much more interesting than the movie!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
A frightening little film about alien abduction called "Dark Skies". Fast paced, well acted and totally believable with a mild twist at the end that sends shivers up and down your spine. There's a soliloquy near the end that sends shivers up and down your spine and will make you recall EVERY missing kid case you ever heard of where no bodies, no clues... no NOTHING was ever found.

Worf

Yes! That is a really creepy film! I enjoyed it a lot!
Worf, you watch a lot of creepy movies I think. You should check out some of the French new wave horror from the last decade. Shiatan is a great movie about a group of delinquents who get just what they deserve, and Martyrs has a nice little twist in it, but can be difficult to watch.

Veering into the less highbrow territory, King of the Zombies (1941). A very-low-budget comedy/horror movie from Monogram Pictures that was initially developed as a project for Bela Lugosi. This movie was recommended to me by Dale/dh66, and I really enjoyed it. It's not quite good enough to be considered a "classic" by most people, and in my opinion it's really more "mystery" than "horror", but I can think of far worse ways to spend 67 minutes. Also, I think it should be noted that while the African-American characters and their dialogue are typical of the era and are anything but politically correct by modern standards, Mantan Moreland's comic relief performance saves this from being just another forgotten B-movie.

Thank you Dale!!! :yo:

I'm glad you enjoyed it Zombie. I am a big fan of the old voodoo-witchdoctor zombie movies. I don't much care for the modern, brain-eating horde genre. There has been a total disconnect with their Caribbean folkloric origins. It seems that 'back in the day':p audiences were a little more keyed in to this. Now, the 'history' behind the character has been obliterated. But I guess eating brains is a lot more Hollywood glamorous than harvesting sugarcane.

Also interesting to note, 'King of the Zombies' was nominated for an academy award for, of all things, best soundtrack in 41.

And as for Mantan Moreland, possibly best known in these parts as Birmingham Brown, Charlie Chan's chauffeur, he began in vaudeville and was one of the most successful black comedians during the depression and early 40s, but fell out of favor and was essentially blackballed by Hollywood during the Civil Rights era for his portrayal of 'negative' stereotypes.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Zombie. I am a big fan of the old voodoo-witchdoctor zombie movies. I don't much care for the modern, brain-eating horde genre...
I like both, but like any other entertainment genre you have to search through a whole lot of "bad" to find the "good". Compounding that issue is the fact that my tastes are, apparently, unique. For example, George Romero may have created the modern zombie, and the majority of "modern zombie movie" fans hold his work in high regard, but I don't care for any of his movies other than Night of the Living Dead. And I watched the first two seasons of The Walking Dead before I decided I'd rather be doing anything else; I wanted to like it, but ultimately realized it bored me to the point that I hadn't even bothered to commit any of the characters' names to memory. lol

...There has been a total disconnect with their Caribbean folkloric origins. It seems that 'back in the day':p audiences were a little more keyed in to this. Now, the 'history' behind the character has been obliterated. But I guess eating brains is a lot more Hollywood glamorous than harvesting sugarcane...
I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but movies often muddy the waters of "fact vs. fiction". People see "Based on a true story" at the beginning of a movie, and often don't bother to discover for themselves how much of the movie was true and how much was fiction. For example, I think Bonnie and Clyde (1967) and Memphis Belle (1990) are great movies, but neither of them are 100% accurate historically. And I've met a few young people who saw James Cameron's Titanic (1997) and didn't know there was actually a ship named Titanic that sank in the North Atlantic in 1912; they thought it was just a movie. I honestly won't be surprised if I meet someone someday who has seen Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) and wonders why they weren't taught that part of his life in school. :eusa_doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Purple Plain. (1954) Gregory Peck. I haven't watch this one since the 70s, Dialing for Dollars, any one remember that?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Night at the Museum 3. This was Robin Williams' and (I think) Mickey Rooney's last film. It was cute, but I think the first movie was the best of the three.

DNO

One Too Many
The Purple Plain. (1954) Gregory Peck. I haven't watch this one since the 70s, Dialing for Dollars, any one remember that?

Interesting movie. Its special effects were limited by the technology of the time but it's well worth watching at least for the Mosquitoes and the Avro Anson! Besides...it's Gregory Peck.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
And....The Avengers: Age of Ultron lived up to my expectations. I wouldn't say it is necessarily better than the first Avengers movie - but I would say they are equal in how good they are. Enjoyed it very much.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I saw it too. It's overstuffed, sometimes under-explained, and wobbles at times. But I loved it anyway! Great action sequences, great character scenes, and with that overriding sense of humanity and fun that distinguishes the Marvel films.

For example, I love how in every battle the Avengers always make it their highest priority to protect human life and get civilians to safety - a definite Take That! to the disgusting destruction of Metropolis with no interest in the human cost in Man of Steel.

And it had SO MANY callbacks, cameo appearances, Easter eggs, knowing references, and general acknowledgement of the Marvel Universe that I just had to surrender! But then, I'm a hardcore Marvel guy from way back. Any film or show that includes the title card "Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby" makes my day.

I like both, but like any other entertainment genre you have to search through a whole lot of "bad" to find the "good". Compounding that issue is the fact that my tastes are, apparently, unique. For example, George Romero may have created the modern zombie, and the majority of "modern zombie movie" fans hold his work in high regard, but I don't care for any of his movies other than Night of the Living Dead. And I watched the first two seasons of The Walking Dead before I decided I'd rather be doing anything else; I wanted to like it, but ultimately realized it bored me to the point that I hadn't even bothered to commit any of the characters' names to memory. lol

I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but movies often muddy the waters of "fact vs. fiction". People see "Based on a true story" at the beginning of a movie, and often don't bother to discover for themselves how much of the movie was true and how much was fiction. For example, I think Bonnie and Clyde (1967) and Memphis Belle (1990) are great movies, but neither of them are 100% accurate historically. And I've met a few young people who saw James Cameron's Titanic (1997) and didn't know there was actually a ship named Titanic that sank in the North Atlantic in 1912; they thought it was just a movie. I honestly won't be surprised if I meet someone someday who has seen Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) and wonders why they weren't taught that part of his life in school. :eusa_doh:

Where you live? I believe it. :p

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I saw it too. It's overstuffed, sometimes under-explained, and wobbles at times. But I loved it anyway! Great action sequences, great character scenes, and with that overriding sense of humanity and fun that distinguishes the Marvel films.

For example, I love how in every battle the Avengers always make it their highest priority to protect human life and get civilians to safety - a definite Take That! to the disgusting destruction of Metropolis with no interest in the human cost in Man of Steel.

And it had SO MANY callbacks, cameo appearances, Easter eggs, knowing references, and general acknowledgement of the Marvel Universe that I just had to surrender! But then, I'm a hardcore Marvel guy from way back. Any film or show that includes the title card "Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby" makes my day.

I agree - I love that they want to protect human life. And I love how old fashioned Captain America is. :) I have to admit, (spoiler alert!) that the Bruce Banner/Natasha thing was a little unorthodox for me...didn't see them in that way. I'd put her with Captain America before Bruce.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1955) with Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day. About once a month or so we get together with another family for a meal and a movie. We've gone through several Hitchcock films: it was recommended and endorsed that we do a Mickey Rooney-Judy Garland movie next time for a change of pace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn