Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Across the Pacific (1942). An espionage story about court-martialed and dishonorably discharged former Army Lieutenant Rick Leland (Humphrey Bogart) trying to woo Alberta Marlow (Mary Astor) while, at the same time, interfering with Dr. Lorenz' (Sydney Greenstreet) plans to help the Japanese destroy the Panama Canal. Bogart is Bogart, Greenstreet is Greenstreet, and Mary Astor delivers a surprisingly natural performance in an otherwise by-the-numbers movie filled with horribly stereotyped Japanese characters. Enjoyable, but could have been better.

Action in the North Atlantic (1943). Lt. Joe Rossi (Humphrey Bogart) is the first officer of a commercial ship which is sunk by a German U-Boat. After spending 11 days adrift, he and the crew are rescued and subsequently hired to crew a Merchant Marine ship that is part of a large convoy bound for Murmansk. When the ship gets separated from the convoy, Rossi and his shipmates play a cat-and-mouse game with the same submarine crew that sank their previous ship. With a cast that includes Raymond Massey, Alan Hale, Dane Clark, Ruth Gordon, and a host of Warner Brothers' contract players, Bogart may have gotten top billing but the movie is really an ensemble piece that is better executed than Across the Pacific, and is in my opinion a more satisfying movie. Also, unlike Across the Pacific, the German submariners are not stereotyped, but presented as military sailors simply doing what they're supposed to do--seek out and sink ships carrying supplies to their enemies.

Clearly, I thought Action in the North Atlantic was the better of the two movies, but they're both worth seeing if you have the opportunity.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Five Cartirdges' An early 1960s East German film about the Spanish Civil War, filmed in Bulgaria and with a soundtrack and setting that makes it feel like a western.

How's that for obscure!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Across the Pacific (1942). An espionage story about court-martialed and dishonorably discharged former Army Lieutenant Rick Leland (Humphrey Bogart) trying to woo Alberta Marlow (Mary Astor) while, at the same time, interfering with Dr. Lorenz' (Sydney Greenstreet) plans to help the Japanese destroy the Panama Canal. Bogart is Bogart, Greenstreet is Greenstreet, and Mary Astor delivers a surprisingly natural performance in an otherwise by-the-numbers movie filled with horribly stereotyped Japanese characters. Enjoyable, but could have been better.

Action in the North Atlantic (1943). Lt. Joe Rossi (Humphrey Bogart) is the first officer of a commercial ship which is sunk by a German U-Boat. After spending 11 days adrift, he and the crew are rescued and subsequently hired to crew a Merchant Marine ship that is part of a large convoy bound for Murmansk. When the ship gets separated from the convoy, Rossi and his shipmates play a cat-and-mouse game with the same submarine crew that sank their previous ship. With a cast that includes Raymond Massey, Alan Hale, Dane Clark, Ruth Gordon, and a host of Warner Brothers' contract players, Bogart may have gotten top billing but the movie is really an ensemble piece that is better executed than Across the Pacific, and is in my opinion a more satisfying movie. Also, unlike Across the Pacific, the German submariners are not stereotyped, but presented as military sailors simply doing what they're supposed to do--seek out and sink ships carrying supplies to their enemies.

Clearly, I thought Action in the North Atlantic was the better of the two movies, but they're both worth seeing if you have the opportunity.

I like Action in the North Atlantic - I watched that over Memorial Day weekend.

Very disappointed! I recorded Das Boot a couple of months ago, finally had time to watch it, so I cleared the decks for three hours, all excited, hit play, The Boat! What a let down, this is one movie that should never have been dubbed in English, it losses everything! It would be like adding English voices to The Seven Samurai.

Uh, they did. Obviously you have never seen the Magnificent Seven. Akira Kurasawa did it in 1954 and Hollywood did it in 1960.

And again in 2017, starring Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt. ????? :doh:

Oh good Lord!:doh:

You are going to go from this:
445689.jpg

To that?!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The origanal Fast And Furious, (1939) [video=youtube;5dQ90LTtm9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dQ90LTtm9s[/video]

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Ex Machina" - Brilliant, sad, disturbing and a thinking persons film about sentience, love and mad scientists... I highly recommend it. As Chris Rock once said:

"Just cause you can do a thing don't mean it should be done!"

Worf

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Watched Casablanca with my wife. I have seen it multiple times she had never seen it. Great movie!

I guess I'll introduce her to 'The Maltese Falcon' next.

Edward

Bartender
Watched a few on the plane on the way out on a work trip, and a few (not so many.... marking in the evenings on this trip, alas) on the way back. Her was cute. Of the others, the third of the Hunger Games films is great (a rewatch, that one), and I mostly liked The Theory of Everything, but the real winner was Saint Vincent. Bill Murray can do no wrong.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014). As far as CGI dungfests go, you could do worse. I can understand why so many people like this movie, but it didn't quite do it for me because, a) I don't need to have my senses constantly bombarded by computer generated visuals, and b) I've seen this story 1,000 times before. I didn't feel like I'd wasted 121 minutes of my life, but I don't need to watch it again for a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo